Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 08:42 PM

775 posts, read 1,258,855 times

Advertisements

Its such a wierd dynamic being around her. She cant make any decision on her own and when you press her for her opinion its "doesnt matter to me" or "whatever you guys want to do". Going to visit the ILs for a few days makes my stomach turn almost. She always has to call several times before we get to their house asking "what do you want for dinner." "what do the kids eat?" "what should I buy from the store?" "I have errands to run, do you have a housekey?" (we have for over 5 years now). She is such a sweet lady and wonderful grandmother but being around her is so weird because she is so passive. I am a brutally honest and upfront person who doesnt sugarcoat, just like her son. And she watches me like a hawk, like I am going to steal something almost. Ugh. What is up with that?
For example, my husband just went to grab creamer for his coffee and grabbed the milk instead, which she noticed. She says "there is creamer in the fridge" and he says "thats ok, its fat free", well now she is all worried that she got the wrong kind and feels bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 08:53 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,996,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copsgirl73 View Post
Its such a wierd dynamic being around her. She cant make any decision on her own and when you press her for her opinion its "doesnt matter to me" or "whatever you guys want to do". Going to visit the ILs for a few days makes my stomach turn almost. She always has to call several times before we get to their house asking "what do you want for dinner." "what do the kids eat?" "what should I buy from the store?" "I have errands to run, do you have a housekey?" (we have for over 5 years now). She is such a sweet lady and wonderful grandmother but being around her is so weird because she is so passive. I am a brutally honest and upfront person who doesnt sugarcoat, just like her son. And she watches me like a hawk, like I am going to steal something almost. Ugh. What is up with that?
For example, my husband just went to grab creamer for his coffee and grabbed the milk instead, which she noticed. She says "there is creamer in the fridge" and he says "thats ok, its fat free", well now she is all worried that she got the wrong kind and feels bad.
She sounds like a very caring and concerned woman who really wants you guys to be happy. She might even be a people pleaser. But it's nice that's she so caring because she could have ended up being one of those MILs who wanted nada to do with you and was a jerk all the time. Some in-laws are...a mess! But she really seems like she wants you guys to be comfortable in her home.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:10 PM

She is a really nice, caring person, there is no denying that. Its the watching me and 10 million questions she asks that are just weird.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:43 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Someday you will be a MIL. Chill. She sounds as if she is very insecure. Perhaps she wants you to enjoy yourself or to relax while in her home, but she is concerned that you don't enjoy yourself or ever relax.

You don't have to like her, and you don't have to understand her (although doing so might help you be nice to her) but you should be civil, especially as she is kind and also a good grandmother.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:44 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Is she lonely?

Old 03-08-2013, 11:09 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Some people have to express love through action and service to others.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:00 AM

1,755 posts, read 2,996,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copsgirl73 View Post
She is a really nice, caring person, there is no denying that. Its the watching me and 10 million questions she asks that are just weird.
Sounds like she's trying to get to know you better. She may even admire your decisiveness.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:16 AM

1,559 posts, read 2,369,696 times
I wish my MIL was like that. Mine( I've had two) were both very selfish and self centered. Count your blessings.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:41 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
My step grandmother was like that. It drove everyone crazy. We just tried to make the best of it since she couldn't help herself. She was just terribly insecure and too old to change her ways. Now she's gone.

In other words, just deal with it. Be nice and don't pick too hard.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:44 AM

Thanks for the advice....its true, she could be at the other end of he spectrum (crazy) but she isnt and I am thankful for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships