U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 09:33 AM

6,040 posts, read 4,430,447 times

Advertisements

You know...a trust fund kid-now-adult that doesn't work full time if at all, travels a lot, seems to live above his/her means, etc.?

Have you seen how others look up to such a person for their fun-loving easygoing lifestyle...as if they've earned it?

I have one such person in the periphery of my life...I find it annoying as all hell to see other friends of mine practically worship the guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 10:06 AM

526 posts, read 953,231 times
Yeah I have had quite a few trust fund friends in my life and still do. One very close friend passed away due to "partying too much". He had a fund of $9/$10 million, we were childhood friends, so it was normal for everyone to party from teenage years and all thru our twenties. It was very sad because a lot of people used him and tried to use him.

Maybe your friends in your circle just really like the guy because you said he/she has an "easy going" vibe, I have noticed a lot of people are attracted to that.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:28 AM

3,406 posts, read 7,555,253 times
Half of the kids I remember growing up with are trustafarians so it doesn't really bother me because I'm used to it.

I think most non-trustafrians can bond over our shared jealousy lol.

I would travel the world too and work to help the poor if I could afford to. But myself and most of my friends instead pursue more common lives, studying to be nurses and accountants.

I really don't know anyone who looks up to trustafarians, I just know people that wish they could get by living that type of lifestyle of constant travel or living in California by the beach and getting high everyday.

Actually, most trustafarians I know don't do any charitable work or help others. I can't see life having any meaning without having to help yourself through hard work or at least helping others. Seems kind of depressing/meaningless. Maybe thats why so many of them get high all the time?

Old 03-13-2013, 04:52 PM

2,572 posts, read 6,568,672 times
I know a couple.

One is annoying in his cluelessness about how the real world works but he's basically a decent guy. He doesn't do what I think I would do if I had his money (charity work, contribute to society).... but whatever. He's got a brother who has invested money, started several successful businesses, actually putting his inherited wealth to use but for whatever reason, the guy I know doesn't do any of those things. I can't imagine just sitting around claiming to be an 'artist' and collecting expensive stuff and calling that a life. The biggest issue for that guy is his paranoia that everyone is just after his money. He never trusts someone to want to be his friend just for who he is and that must be a very sad way to live. He recently married (he's no spring chicken) and honestly, it was the fear of a "gold digger" that lead to his many many failed relationships up to this point. Seems like maybe if he'd done more with his life for selfless reasons, he's have better self-esteem and not be so paranoid that he had nothing to offer aside from his wealth.

The other one is a truly awful human being. He's flunked out of college multiple times, first universities then community college, gets high all the time, beats his wife, uses his money and access to his parents money as a threat to keep her under his thumb (by threatening to take their child from her), and his parents pretty much fund this behavior and enable him to continue being a first class jerk. He makes me ill, and yes, many people don't know him for the ass that he truly is and fawn all over him.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:52 PM

21,832 posts, read 14,341,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
You know...a trust fund kid-now-adult that doesn't work full time if at all, travels a lot, seems to live above his/her means, etc.?

Have you seen how others look up to such a person for their fun-loving easygoing lifestyle...as if they've earned it?

I have one such person in the periphery of my life...I find it annoying as all hell to see other friends of mine practically worship the guy.
You know it sounds like you have some jealousy here. You don't have to like this person, but it is destructive, IMO, to harbor a lot of jealousy. Doing so leads to feelings of bitterness.

Life isn't fair. It just isn't. You will have to make your own luck. And you probably have assets this other person doesn't.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:50 PM

4,245 posts, read 5,981,697 times
I never met anyone like this.

Yet, Im dating a guy who is living on a trust fund with maybe some SSI. He has a disability due to bipolar disorder (he's on meds for it), so isn't working, but is being supported by a trust fund set up by his deceased parents. He lives in a small apartment/condo in an old 1920s mock-Tudor building in a better suburb of Dayton (which both he and his late parents grew up in), so he is sort of upper-middle class (but now perhaps genteel poor?).

I guess what i envy(?) or marvel at is that having this kind of $$$ support means you don't have to work and have tons of free time. The guy im seeing uses his time to volunteer at the local history museum.

This is a far cry from a wealthy younger guy living off a trust fund. But still a lifestyle that is new and rather...what...suprising to me.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:15 PM

12,540 posts, read 12,516,293 times
I'm sure such people have crossed my path, but I can't recall exactly when.

I was too busy worrying about my own life.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:19 PM

5,426 posts, read 8,142,224 times
I've never knwon anyone like this as either an acquaintance nor as a close friend. If a person is genuinely a decent person, how uch money they have doesn't matter to me. I'll treat them the same. If they are a bad person, I'll drop them either way, rich or poor. I know, some of you may say that I say that now & it will be different when it actually happens. Well, I guess I'll have to see.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:36 AM

10,812 posts, read 8,054,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post

The very few "trust fund babies" I know don't entirely meet your description. They work (even though they don't need to) and live below their means.
But they are fun-loving and easy-going. That's why I enjoy being around them. They're not all bitter and prune-face and jealous...

Old 03-14-2013, 06:12 AM

7,215 posts, read 7,904,321 times
I've only known of one ever. The story I heard was that his parents died when he was very young and he lived off a large inheritance they left him. I think he did work a little bit, but seemed to spend most of his time drinking and partying. Very eccentric and flamboyant type. Not a bad person, but not someone I'd look up to either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships