Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2013, 08:08 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times

Advertisements

My wife went through much of the same things growing up except she was in her early teens so she remembers it well. Even though it only happened once her stepfather (the offender) spent the rest of his life trying to make up for it and ended up dying a painful death. My MIL was afraid to leave him for whatever her reasons were and none of this was ever discussed or known by the rest of the family until "dad" was in his last couple of days. She is "damaged" to be sure and in her early 50's is just now starting to realize she needs to move past her hurt and let it go or be miserable forever.
Also as someone who was physically and mentally abused growing up I have some idea of what goes through ones mind including revenge,hate,anger etc. I can tell you that these posts about recording her moms statements, calling the police or filing suit and taking all he now owns will do nothing to fix the situation.
It's my opinion and experience that revenge just drags things out making coming to peace with yourself as well as moving on impossible, sitting like bile in your throat.
What happened cannot ever be changed or undone, you could string up the perpetrator and flog him/her until they die and it won't change anything except to make you into something you most likely don't want to be.
The only thing that can be changed is how you deal with it and how you live your life from this point on either as a perpetual victim or a survivor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 11:34 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
All I can say is you are a strong, intelligent, compassionate woman of grace and integrity that reminds us all that there are really good people in this world. I sincerely wish you strength as you move forward in life after these revelations. Like others have suggested, I think the counseling you are receiving is important, as this allows you to release steam like a release valve would, and to learn how to navigate your way through this. Keep at it, you've done great so far, you have the track record to prove it.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:47 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikking View Post
A gd "doctor" was such a piece of work, 65 years ago, that he sent my baby sister home with my mom, when they KNEW that the infant was born with no RECTUM, and was inevitably going to die! Anyone with any sort of humanity would have told my Father, and the authorities, euthanized it, and told my mom that the baby had died in its sleep. It almost drove my mother insane, watching that kid starve to death, cause she could not keep down any milk. My mom never truly got over it, and I would CHEERFULLY horsewhip that doctor, were he still living!
What the heck...

Euthanizing a baby ?????

Old 03-17-2013, 10:37 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,853,297 times
So I am home now. My mother is still hanging on. Its very interesting how she perks up when certain people visit her, and suddenly has a lot of energy. Its also interesting how none of these people are her children. She really puts on a show for colleagues and men she is still trying to impress.

My sisters and I want this to be over. Once, when she was sleeping, I told her "you did not do your job as a mother. I am a good person despite you." I needed to say it out loud. She gave no indication of having heard me which is fine. When I was leaving she said "You are a good girl." Probably the one and only time she ever said that and it made me cry. I wish I wasn't still so affected by that.

Her friend drove me to the airport. My sisters and I had told her the truth and the whole way to the airport this lady and I discussed what was really happening. She had seen some indicators of my mother's hidden life, so she was sympathetic and seems to believe us.

Thank you for all of your support. I have a therapy appointment tomorrow. I will update as things develop.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:28 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,200,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
So I am home now. My mother is still hanging on. Its very interesting how she perks up when certain people visit her, and suddenly has a lot of energy. Its also interesting how none of these people are her children. She really puts on a show for colleagues and men she is still trying to impress.

My sisters and I want this to be over. Once, when she was sleeping, I told her "you did not do your job as a mother. I am a good person despite you." I needed to say it out loud. She gave no indication of having heard me which is fine. When I was leaving she said "You are a good girl." Probably the one and only time she ever said that and it made me cry. I wish I wasn't still so affected by that.
She probably heard you.

Like many others here, I'm in your corner and hope that you find some peace.

Old 03-17-2013, 05:31 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,527,864 times
Confusedasusual, your mother's behavior seems to completely puzzle you. If you haven't ever done so, I suggest talking to your mother about her childhood. You'll never another opportunity and I suspect learning about her childhood might give you some insights as to her behavior as an adult. The goal isn't forgiveness, but simple understanding of what molded her, which might eventually give you some peace down the road.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:22 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
When I was leaving she said "You are a good girl." Probably the one and only time she ever said that and it made me cry. I wish I wasn't still so affected by that.
Embrace how you feel, and accept that you will cry. You are a human with feelings. I hope your next session in therapy is helpful in getting through the next days. God bless you.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:31 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,242,310 times
Smile Very true; hopefully, you'll get a chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Confusedasusual, your mother's behavior seems to completely puzzle you. If you haven't ever done so, I suggest talking to your mother about her childhood. You'll never another opportunity and I suspect learning about her childhood might give you some insights as to her behavior as an adult. The goal isn't forgiveness, but simple understanding of what molded her, which might eventually give you some peace down the road.
My husband could never figure out his father. He was the only child but his dad beat him if he looked the wrong way. At the age of 90 (about 2 years ago), his dad's sister finally told us of their childhood and how they were beaten to a pulp every day. Even though my FIL stopped this behavior (at the request of his wife) when my husband was 16, it left scars.

Now, we understand my FIL more and can deal with his reaction to change, etc. better than before.

I know that you are back home but maybe your sisters can talk to her about it.

She raised a very strong girl (you) no matter what happened and for her to say that you are a good girl speaks volumes.

Isn't it a wonder how we all want some kind of validation, especially from family? (No matter what).

Old 03-17-2013, 07:50 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,003 times
Unfortunately you can't choose your family or what happens to you as a child. That's a fact. Of course I'm very sorry you had to go through that messed up childhood. Look on the bright side, you're alive and well and here to tell about it. Some kids aren't even that lucky. I'll never understand men like your father who can do such awful things to people.

As for mom...her conscience should be punishment enough regardless of where she ends up.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:03 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,552,791 times
That is a tragic story. Thinking of the sweet scared confused little girl you once were breaks my heart. I have no advice or wisdom for you, except to seek the good medical and legal counsel and follow your heart and conscience.

Wishing you peace and closure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships