U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 05:30 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,658,112 times

Advertisements

I choose to not be around people who like to argue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 10:31 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,303,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Just out of curiosity, how do you all deal with people who argue just for the sake of arguing? I see these kinds of people from time to time and do my best to ignore them, I'm curious what some of you do, especially if you have creative or humorous ways to deal with it. I'm not asking for advice nor is this is a rant, please have fun with it.
I look very puzzled and ask questions that are slightly off. Like if someone wants to argue about someone taking his parking space I will interrupt and say "What kind of car was it? Have you seen the White Lexus out there? Was that it? The Convertible? I was thinking about getting a car like that.? What do you think?"

And then they are so confused they forget what they wanted to argue about.

And when someone complains about something you should suggest they fix it. Like if some says "That door handle is loose."

Respond with "The screwdriver is in the tool box downstairs - thank you so much for offering to help."

Old 03-23-2013, 02:51 PM

10,599 posts, read 13,100,036 times
I have one now. I have responded by avoiding him. I have a sick Aunt and a few other people I am concerned about that need me focused and clear-headed and he acts like an obsessive girlfriend, Yelling how I am neglecting him because I can't hang out every week. I had to step back. I can be hot-tempered and do best when i see the big picture and can deal with things using logic over emotion. One of my greatest faults.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:37 PM

3,311 posts, read 3,007,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
The worst is someone who is simply a contentious person. Someone earlier in the thread said "it takes two to argue." While that may seem logical and true . . . it does not take two to end up in some sort of disagreement b/c one person is being contentious and the other is feeling assaulted. When this happens, the other person may become defensive (and even want to end the conversation) but wants to clarify what was said. The contentious person has to always be right, so they continue the harrangue. It may LOOK like an argument to others but it is actually an attack by one person on the other. The "victim" has no recourse but to either defend their position or end the conversation, which isn't an easy thing to do when the contentious person is determined not to end it.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:49 PM

7,099 posts, read 24,452,724 times
There are some people in this old world that just have to be "on top" "right" "correct" "the boss" etc.etc. They have this deep need to be the one that is RIGHT.

My mother was like that. She never would let anything die, even when the other person just didn't answer. She HAD to have the final word. It was like some sort of crusade with her. And then, a couple of days later, she would call and say that she had been thinking about the subject again, and off we would go.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:34 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,226,706 times
The difference between arguing for arguing's sake and just trying to have a civil debate/argument is usually ego. While when we argue most of us think we're right (although it's possible to continue to argue even if you know or think you're wrong to uphold your pride) and it originates from your ego/sense of pride that needs to prove that we are smarter/more correct/have all the answers. In cases like these, the two usually end up having to just agree to disagree. Some people are less objective than others, and will totally twist your words or use any dirty trick in the book just to one-up you. Look out for people who always like to tell people when they're right.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:17 AM

1,787 posts, read 4,964,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Takes two to argue. Just saying.
This is so true. After awhile, you realize how much energy it sucks out of you. Now I say, my battery is going to die; I have to go. (when I'm on the phone) If I'm out and run into the person(s) and I find my jaw clenching, I look at my watch and say "will you look at the time! I have to go, I have an appointment."

Old 02-02-2015, 11:20 AM

69 posts, read 66,403 times
I let people have their opinions just as I wish to have my own. Many think just because your passionate about an opinion that your being pushy ...
Some people hate opinionated people.
I say live and let live

Old 02-02-2015, 11:59 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,264,537 times
If its a close family member, I just keep quiet & become absorbed in my own thoughts. A lot of times I don't even remember what they said. Usually they come back & apologize. Over time I get emotionally detached from them. If its friends or coworkers who are not that important then I tell them off & avoid them completely. I don't like confrontation & drama at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or