Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2013, 08:02 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,842,313 times

Advertisements

I'm in my late 20s and haven't dated in several years. I have a social life and all, but I'm just not interested in being tied down with a relationship. I like being single and the freedom that that entails.

Yes, one day I will probably settle down and start a family, but not now. Anyway, when I visit my parents (generally on a weekly basis), they will not shut up about me dating. They frequently tell me stuff like "won't you be lonely when we die and your siblings have their own relationships?" Tonight they bought me an eHarmony subscription without me asking for it. I told them I wasn't interested and the response was "why not?"

I know they are concerned and all, but I've told them several times that I am happy living alone and not dating at the moment. They just don't understand that it is possible to be happy without being in a relationship.

What should I do about pushy, controlling parents like this? I know they mean well, but I am going to live my life how I want. Why can't they get that? It makes me want to pull my hair out!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 09:20 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,653,060 times
Tell them that you are having too much fun with all your different sexual partners to enter into an exclusive relationhip. haha

Old 03-17-2013, 09:19 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I'm in my late 20s and haven't dated in several years. I have a social life and all, but I'm just not interested in being tied down with a relationship. I like being single and the freedom that that entails.

Yes, one day I will probably settle down and start a family, but not now. Anyway, when I visit my parents (generally on a weekly basis), they will not shut up about me dating. They frequently tell me stuff like "won't you be lonely when we die and your siblings have their own relationships?" Tonight they bought me an eHarmony subscription without me asking for it. I told them I wasn't interested and the response was "why not?"

I know they are concerned and all, but I've told them several times that I am happy living alone and not dating at the moment. They just don't understand that it is possible to be happy without being in a relationship.

What should I do about pushy, controlling parents like this? I know they mean well, but I am going to live my life how I want. Why can't they get that? It makes me want to pull my hair out!!!
How awful. First and foremost you should start limiting your time with them. Visit and call less. If they ask why, tell them point blank you're tired of them meddling in your life and it's going to stop. I had to do that with my mother, for many more reasons than just that. Sometimes tough love is just appropriate.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:21 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times
They're just care enough to be concerned is all. It seems to be my father's favorite conversation starter these days too. ("so, how's the love life? I'd sure like to see you settle down with a nice girl...")

Just tell them you appreciate their concern but need to relax a little.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:30 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,473,825 times
We faced a similar issue when we got married about when we were having kids. Hubby flat out told his parents that this was our decision and that we would not speak to them about it. If they brought it up, we would stop speaking with them at all. Simple and clear and unambiguous.

Worked for 40 years.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:07 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,769,824 times
Set boundaries from your end as much as possible. Of course, it is easier said than done. I think limiting contact with them on purpose is probably your best bet to avoid them from hounding you about dating. I would delay calling them back and so on if they continue to bother you about this topic over and over. I would try to change the subject if they keep bringing this topic up in conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships