Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2013, 04:54 PM

17 posts, read 52,332 times

Advertisements

I don't have Facebook, but I've always wondered if you searched for a person and their location and the person pops up do you automatically think that's the person that you're looking for. I've looked my name up on my sister's facebook and this girl with same name pops up and lives in the same city as me and I just don't want people that are searching for me think that she is me because she is not attractive.

Last edited by FullLips; 03-22-2013 at 05:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 05:04 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,537,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullLips View Post
I don't have Facebook, but I've always wondered if you searched for a person and their location and the person pops up do you automatically think that's the person that you're looking for. I've look my name up on my sister's facebook and this girl with same name pops up and lives in the same city as me and I just don't want people that are searching for me think that she is me because she is not attractive.
It can happen I suppose if you have a common name in a big city, that's just a statistical thing.

Facebook is to City-Data Forum as cartoons are to the Discovery Channel.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:30 PM

3,737 posts, read 12,367,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
It can happen I suppose if you have a common name in a big city, that's just a statistical thing.

Facebook is to City-Data Forum as cartoons are to the Discovery Channel.
LOL - excellent analogy

Old 03-23-2013, 07:38 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,210,728 times
Yes. I was hunting for a childhood friend who I hadn't seen in decades. His family lived next door to mine when I was in the second grade and I always wondered where they were and where his brothers and sisters had moved, what had happened in their lives. They were a fun family.

I found someone with the name but who knows what a person would look like after all these years . . . so I wrote him and told him I was hunting for a childhood friend and took a chance that he might be the person in question. Told him what school we had gone to. He wasn't the right person but wrote me a very kind message back saying he was not the person I was looking for but wishing me good luck and saying that he had wondered about friends, too, etc. It didn't turn out badly at all!

That was probably 5 or more years ago. I don't know that I would do that now! My FB settings are so "tight" that folks who want to get in touch with me find it very difficult. I have had some weirdos spam me several years back, so have made it nearly impossible for someone to even request for me to be a friend, lol.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:03 AM

2,696 posts, read 3,757,788 times
Yes, I have a very common name. If the "friend request" is very strange (spammy, stalking in nature), I simply ignore and block it.

If the stranger who messaged me in FB is polite, I usually send a polite response back saying you have the wrong, "So-and-So Name."

Old 03-23-2013, 09:11 PM

191 posts, read 220,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullLips View Post
I don't have Facebook, but I've always wondered if you searched for a person and their location and the person pops up do you automatically think that's the person that you're looking for. I've looked my name up on my sister's facebook and this girl with same name pops up and lives in the same city as me and I just don't want people that are searching for me think that she is me because she is not attractive.
If I was looking for someone with a common name, I would look at other information, town, birthday, high school, friends list, whatever, so I would know if it was them (if it wasn't obvious from their profile pic).

Someone did once mistake me for someone else with same name, I just told them I wasn't the one they were looking for (even though I used to live in that same town at one time). Lots of people have the same name as me so I use my middle initial also.

Also, one time I was sent a friend request from someone with my name, I figured it was spam or if not, then a dumb reason to add a friend.

Last edited by Annie Dreams; 03-23-2013 at 09:15 PM.. Reason: Forgot to add
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships