U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 11:21 PM

245 posts, read 313,110 times

Advertisements

I know someone who married a 56 year old and she's 23... I think that it is gross. I mean what could they could they have in common? The kids are OLDER She is. What does everyone think of a situation like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 05:25 AM

291 posts, read 244,619 times
There's an alike thread in the Relationship forum. I've already commented there that I find it absolutely unacceptable and unnatural. Age difference of 10 years is my edge I think.

Omg kids are older than their "newfound mom"? Sorry, but to me it sounds literally like f****ing your own kids. I mean, if she was his kid, would he feel attracted to her? Hook up with her maybe? This is sick.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:46 AM

12,870 posts, read 15,354,667 times
SHE'S married him probably because he can provide her with security, and no doubt treats her very well (at 56 he can still do what most younger men can) HE'S married her probably because she's his "proof" that he's still "got it" and he probably derives pleasure having most of the "control" in the marriage.( they love each other too) Neither (as far as I'm concerned) are looking into the future with open eyes. She may think she loves him now, but in another 20 years when he's 4 years from 80, and she's only 43 she may think differently. I think that this is a marriage destined to fail, but then who's to say?..maybe the "right" thing to do IS to grab love while and when you can, as there are no guarantees in life, and there's a LOT of marriages with no big age differences that don't last either.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:53 AM

5,136 posts, read 8,658,042 times
Smile A few years ago....

We were facing this age thing with my FIL the same day my MIL passed away. A neighbor woman - 35 years younger - started going after him.

He was 82 at the time. She was over at his house all the time. He, of course, was flattered. His sister (age 83 at the time) was so furious with him that she started staying with him. This is still going on in a sense.

Her home has been in foreclosure so many times and I'm sure he's helped her out, then she might go away for a while. It's just gross to me and especially after the passing on my MIL who was a saint.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:02 AM

8,181 posts, read 16,515,470 times
I know a good person is supposed to say love in blind...it has no age barrier...it doesn't matter...blah blah blah.

My personal opinion is that she's seeing $$ and he's seeing.."I get to show that I can still get a pretty young thing and I'm sure she's not after my $$ at all."

Bottom line is that it IS their personal business but that won't stop my opinion about it.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:06 AM

26,346 posts, read 82,801,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulse1000 View Post
I mean what could they could they have in common?
Scandinavian history. [I wrote that because I know a couple, he in his 60s, she pushing 40 where he was her UCLA professor before she earned her PhD and became a professor.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulse1000 View Post

What does everyone think of a situation like that?
It's OK by me. Life is too short to fret over perfectly legal relationships or activities that make people happy (despite what your pastor, rabbi, or priest tells you).

Old 03-18-2013, 01:00 PM

3,737 posts, read 9,571,965 times
My father at 87 married a 45 year old with 3 kids. It has turned out to be a blessing. She enjoys him and taking care of the home and he has someone to talk to and ensure he is cared for. We met her this year and like her and her kids a lot.

I am 13 years older than she is so it is a little strange but what the heck.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:04 PM

26,346 posts, read 82,801,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
My father at 87 married a 45 year old with 3 kids. It has turned out to be a blessing. She enjoys him and taking care of the home and he has someone to talk to and ensure he is cared for. We met her this year and like her and her kids a lot.

I am 13 years older than she is so it is a little strange but what the heck.
Out of curiosity, what will you do if she inherits his $1.3M estate and you get the ping pong table?

Old 03-18-2013, 01:35 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,272,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Scandinavian history. [I wrote that because I know a couple, he in his 60s, she pushing 40 where he was her UCLA professor before she earned her PhD and became a professor.]

It's OK by me. Life is too short to fret over perfectly legal relationships or activities that make people happy (despite what your pastor, rabbi, or priest tells you).
Yes. Live and let live. People make decisions all the time that I might not agree with, but if it makes them happy, more power to them. Not sure why someone else's choice of a partner has any bearing on your life unless you are forced to spend lots of time with these people. But then again, I don't get why someone's gay partnership in California threatens the sanctity of marriage in Kansas, so I might not be the right person to understand this argument.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:26 PM

5,407 posts, read 8,103,583 times
Well, the 1st thing I'm sure that pops into one's mind is that he's financially well off. I mean why else would a young, vital woman marry an old geyser? A young woman can find a young man who's nice, etc., so it's not just about being nice. We should be so used to seeing May-December romances in our society that it doesn't even matter to us anymore. Who cares. If that's who the person wants to be with, so be it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships