U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 08:21 PM

9,386 posts, read 17,268,029 times

Advertisements

Re-key and re-friend. I can't imagine someone questioning me when I asked for MY keys back. Sounds like major jealousy at work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 09:47 PM

2,593 posts, read 3,860,282 times
Thanks for the replies. Apparently her friend decided to be so childish and immature about all of this, he broke the keys, took a picture of it and texted it to her. What's sad is this guy is my age and acting like a rotten brat. (38).

She wants me to go with her tomorrow to get a new lock. I told her I could install a new one for her. She also had Girl Scout cookies to deliver to him, but he basically told her to stick them where the sun don't shine, so she gave some of them to me instead.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:03 PM

40,113 posts, read 39,646,393 times
I wonder if the friend really secretly had the hots for her.......

Old 03-18-2013, 10:55 PM

5,485 posts, read 6,329,150 times
Yep, definitely seems like the guy friend would like alot more than hold her keys for emergencies. There would really be no other legit reason for him to get worked up over this or her new boyfriend. Was he a victim of friend zoning when they first met?

Old 03-18-2013, 11:05 PM

14,374 posts, read 17,209,378 times
It definitely sounds like there was feelings between the two of them, but whatever it was, she has moved on now and he needs to accept it.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:08 PM

11,676 posts, read 14,341,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post

Is she wrong to ask for the keys back when she has me to check in case of emergency and do you think that the friend has a right to overreact about the keys?
I'm not sure how this is even a question. It's her key. How would asking for it back, regardless of reason, ever be wrong?

Old 03-19-2013, 12:28 AM

4,101 posts, read 6,107,747 times
Default Need Opinions On An Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
I'm asking this on behalf of my neighbor. She has been dating a guy for a little while now. She has a male friend of 3 years who before she even started dating her BF, she was thinking of cutting the friend off. He has been mainly negative, one sided and flaky. A while back she gave the friend the keys to her apartment in case of an emergency.

Out of respect for the BF, she asked the friend for the keys back. He said "why the hell should the BF care if I have the keys, I was your friend before you met him". Before I wasn't living here, but she now has me to have the keys instead of her friend since I live next door. The friend was also very negative about her relationship with her BF from the beginning.

She asked him why can't he just respect her wishes. She doesn't want to tell the BF that said friend even has the keys because he does not think highly of the friend. I'm not too keen on him either.

Is she wrong to ask for the keys back when she has me to check in case of emergency and do you think that the friend has a right to overreact about the keys?
The fact that she now has you should not enter into her decision, nor should the fact that she now has a boy friend. Her house is her house, and the keys are her keys, she has a right to give them to whoever she wants. If she wants her keys back the old neighbor/friend should give them back and tell her if she ever needs his help again that he will be glad to help her. Rather than contact him again about the keys, if I were her, I would call a locksmith and have the locks on the house changed. The locks should be changed anyway after she became the owner. Then I would keep my mouth shut and not discuss it with anyone, including the new boy friend. In the future she should be more careful who she gives keys to, she probably knows that now.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:31 AM

4,101 posts, read 6,107,747 times
Default Need Opinions On An Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
"Out of respect for her BF"?? It's bizarre and kind of ridiculous to think that a male neighbor couldn't be your emergency keyholder just because she now has a BF.

But her neighbor acted like a baby when she asked him to return the keys.

She needs to change the locks, and avoid the weird "friend."

It does sound exactly like a Seinfeld episode.
I agree with you, good post!

Old 03-19-2013, 01:19 AM

14,374 posts, read 17,209,378 times
The fact that such a big stink is being made over keys by the both of them (her for asking for them back and him for having a tantrum) tells me that something more than straight-forward platonic friendship was going on between the two of them.

Either way, it's over now.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:21 AM

8,908 posts, read 6,446,346 times
Change the locks and disown the friend for being a jerk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships