U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-19-2013, 10:32 PM
 
Location: Maryland
210 posts, read 254,360 times
Reputation: 234

Advertisements

I'm going to offer my honest opinions here and if the OP wants to yell at me, that's cool. I'm turning 22 next month and can kind of relate to some of what she says, so I'll try my best to be rational.

1) Sometimes no matter how much you apply for a job, nothing will turn up for you. I spent most of 2009 and 2010 applying everywhere, calling managers and asking acquaintances about jobs, but nothing turned up. To this day I have never had a job.

2) I understand that writing is what you like to do, so why not go to school for that? My career of choice is radio (I want to be a rock DJ/music director). A nearby community college has a good radio program with good connections and I'm taking advantage of it. Surely there has to be something like that for writing, right?

3) The driving test is tedious stuff. I have mine in a couple weeks and am pretty nervous about it. Don't let failing get you down.

4) You shouldn't say that you are "done" with life. I can tell from your posts that you are better that, and I think you know it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by napy666 View Post
Volunteering and internships DO NOT PAY NOR WILL THEY EVER OFF YOU A JOB.
Maybe not, but they can get you some VERY valuable connections.

 
Old 03-19-2013, 10:58 PM
 
548 posts, read 794,970 times
Reputation: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by video646 View Post
I'm going to offer my honest opinions here and if the OP wants to yell at me, that's cool. I'm turning 22 next month and can kind of relate to some of what she says, so I'll try my best to be rational.

1) Sometimes no matter how much you apply for a job, nothing will turn up for you. I spent most of 2009 and 2010 applying everywhere, calling managers and asking acquaintances about jobs, but nothing turned up. To this day I have never had a job.

2) I understand that writing is what you like to do, so why not go to school for that? My career of choice is radio (I want to be a rock DJ/music director). A nearby community college has a good radio program with good connections and I'm taking advantage of it. Surely there has to be something like that for writing, right?

3) The driving test is tedious stuff. I have mine in a couple weeks and am pretty nervous about it. Don't let failing get you down.

4) You shouldn't say that you are "done" with life. I can tell from your posts that you are better that, and I think you know it too.



Maybe not, but they can get you some VERY valuable connections.
Because I don't need school, I'm already doing what you do after or during community college or college in general.

Why should I not let it get me down? It took me about 20 times to pass the written exam, and the driving test another few more times and I still have not pasted it and I wasted a ton of money on it. So yeah I am going to be upset about it.

No I'm not better I am done with everything.
 
Old 03-19-2013, 11:15 PM
 
100 posts, read 132,629 times
Reputation: 167
First off, if you can't pass a drivers test that many times then it's probably a good sign that you should never have a car, like ever.

About employment...Are you in the city or the burbs, small town or what? Anywhere within walking or bicycling distance? How about public transportation? There are jobs out there. Might have to lower your expectations some and take anything you can get. Anything. And please work on the self-entitlement attitude.

All I keep seeing is a whole lot of excuses. I hope, since you're 25, that you are able to one day become self-sufficient- and atleast have the drive to do so. Do some soul searching and grow up. You're not 16 anymore.

I do wish you luck, and I hope you take the advice that you've been offered. You're not going to get anywhere if you don't.
 
Old 03-19-2013, 11:17 PM
 
740 posts, read 1,840,578 times
Reputation: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by napy666 View Post
I can give 2 ****s about what your ass or anyone else here has to say to me. I am done applying, trying, practicing, with my life. THERE IS NO POINT.
Good luck living in the projects on welfare! Because with that attitude, that is exactly where you will end up. There is a point to all this. Being able to stand on your own 2 feet is the point. Having self worth that comes with the accomplishment of living on your own. Having things that you bought and paid for, makes you appreciate them that much more. Our parents didn't give us anything.... we had to work for everything that we have.... We didn't give our children things.... they earned them. (We helped them out when we saw that they were trying, but if they would have had your attitude, we wouldn't have helped at all)

Last edited by ibcwife; 03-19-2013 at 11:32 PM..
 
Old 03-20-2013, 12:43 AM
 
548 posts, read 794,970 times
Reputation: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathyann31 View Post
First off, if you can't pass a drivers test that many times then it's probably a good sign that you should never have a car, like ever.

About employment...Are you in the city or the burbs, small town or what? Anywhere within walking or bicycling distance? How about public transportation? There are jobs out there. Might have to lower your expectations some and take anything you can get. Anything. And please work on the self-entitlement attitude.

All I keep seeing is a whole lot of excuses. I hope, since you're 25, that you are able to one day become self-sufficient- and atleast have the drive to do so. Do some soul searching and grow up. You're not 16 anymore.

I do wish you luck, and I hope you take the advice that you've been offered. You're not going to get anywhere if you don't.
I live in a residential area where there are places right up the street maybe a few blocks away. I could easily walk or ride the bus up the street and go to work if I worked up the street.

But none of those places are hiring or they never called me back.

Why bother trying anything as I HAVE SAID BEFORE I AM DONE.
 
Old 03-20-2013, 02:53 AM
 
47,573 posts, read 60,644,318 times
Reputation: 22283
Quote:
Originally Posted by napy666 View Post
I am not an idiot ok I know how to make a resume. And resume's are suppose to be 1 page ONLY.
I think many jobs don't require a resume, they will take applications and a resume is reduntant information. Some people get by with never driving, my aunt lived in a big city, had a great career, traveled extensively and she never learned to drive, never owned a car.

I think for you the important thing is to get some kind of job - everywhere you go, you should see people doing some kind of job and just ask them how they got that job. I think deep down you can see why your mom worries over you. You might even look at the kind of job your mom has.
 
Old 03-20-2013, 03:22 AM
 
548 posts, read 794,970 times
Reputation: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think many jobs don't require a resume, they will take applications and a resume is reduntant information. Some people get by with never driving, my aunt lived in a big city, had a great career, traveled extensively and she never learned to drive, never owned a car.

I think for you the important thing is to get some kind of job - everywhere you go, you should see people doing some kind of job and just ask them how they got that job. I think deep down you can see why your mom worries over you. You might even look at the kind of job your mom has.
You need to take a test to work for the school district as a janitor.
 
Old 03-20-2013, 04:19 AM
 
Location: Ostend,Belgium....
8,820 posts, read 6,365,377 times
Reputation: 4886
Go out and get a crappy job just to get work experience, liking the job is not a requirement. Just act like you'll love it when you go talk to them so you'll get hired! It brings money in your door and gives you something to put on a resume, while you work a crap job that you think you may hate, you can look for better. Don't go into a place you wouldn't wanna work at with a crap attitude either..act as if it's the "love of your life" place. Call it 'beneath you' or whatever, such is life... You have to do crap first to get something good later..think outside the old box. Even in fastfood, if you can make it from burger flipper to assistant manager, you'll have a better looking resume and guess what, you may even like it!.. No need to broadcast to anyone you work with that that's what you're planning while there..Just try it!
Don't pay no attention to people knocking fast food jobs or gasstation jobs, most people who knock them never tried it and couldn't do it!
Minimum wage is better than zero wage.Even if they offer you one shift a week, it's more than you have now.
This is just an idea, volunteering can get you to meet people who can help you ahead. People at those places may know the right people. It's all about networking.
If you apply at a place, call them now and then to see if there are any openings yet. It shows interest.
Don't just give up because so far your life hasn't been what you thought it should be. Giving up is the easy way out!
Writing is something you can keep doing on the side.
You asked for advice or opinions. You do what you want with it but don't lash out at people here because you don't find it useful, we didn't ask you to post the original message. That was your choice. Tell me, what did you expect from us? seriously?!

Last edited by MaggieZ; 03-20-2013 at 04:35 AM..
 
Old 03-20-2013, 06:34 AM
 
100 posts, read 132,629 times
Reputation: 167
Put applications in, in person. Places that aren't hiring. Business's might also be hiring even if there's no sign on the door. Don't do it online, you won't be taken as seriously. Your parents will be pleased that you're making an effort.

Stop making excuses for everything. It's tiresome. Yawn..
 
Old 03-20-2013, 07:49 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,172,097 times
Reputation: 22373
Quote:
Originally Posted by napy666 View Post
I am not an idiot ok I know how to make a resume. And resume's are suppose to be 1 page ONLY.
Again, demonstrating that you think you know more than the people who are PAID to give you advice . . .

And as far as writing, "resumes" is plural and you wrote it as a possessive form. So stop with the silliness about your writing for whatever online "magazine." This is what the core of your problem is . . . your mother is fed up with you sitting around the house, doing nothing productive and then telling everyone you have a job - you are a writer. PLEASE.

Resumes come in many forms. I have helped folks develop their resumes as part of my profession (many years ago). Your know-it-all attitude is another excuse for not doing what you are advised to do.

Go sit down and put together your resume. You do not have to list the years when you had the jobs. Do a functional resume. Go look it up if you don't know what a functional resume is.

Then get yourself pulled together and stop acting like a petulant child -- and go find a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top