Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 05:20 PM

548 posts, read 891,021 times

Advertisements

The economy is tough for everyone right now, and I'm among the crowd, who just isn't meant to drive right now. Nor am I able to find a job as any other person. I am going to keep trying tho.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:13 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times
There are now hiring signs all over the place where I live. Even though you are 25, you can still work at a grocery store or restaurant to show some kind of initiative. Truthfully, I don't think you want a job.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:47 PM

740 posts, read 2,013,999 times
You might want to talk to a dr about your depression.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:46 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
You say you like to write - okay, here's an assignment I hope you'll try: write down what you'd like to be doing in five years. That's if everything goes smoothly and successfully - no problems with driving, no arguments with your mother, everything you ever wished for comes to pass. The sky's the limit.

Okay, now, what do you wish you could be doing in five years? How would you choose to be living, if you had your choice? Think about it - write it out - then get back to us with your response. No "but I know it won't happen because'..." excuses allowed.

Do this, and I'll get back to you with my thoughts.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
You say you like to write - okay, here's an assignment I hope you'll try: write down what you'd like to be doing in five years. That's if everything goes smoothly and successfully - no problems with driving, no arguments with your mother, everything you ever wished for comes to pass. The sky's the limit.

Okay, now, what do you wish you could be doing in five years? How would you choose to be living, if you had your choice? Think about it - write it out - then get back to us with your response. No "but I know it won't happen because'..." excuses allowed.

Do this, and I'll get back to you with my thoughts.
Why should I care about your thoughts? I'm the one who can make the changes happen and what I'm doing not applying and practicing isn't enough I need to do a new step try something new to get that job or get that license.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:29 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by napy666 View Post
You need to take a test to work for the school district as a janitor.
Yes, they do those skills tests now -- a lot isn't so much about skills but personality profiling if they ask you questions like "Do you think people talk just to hear themselves talk" and give you a selection from strongly agree to strongly disagree. You have to read between the lines, if it's a customer service job, you have to sound helpful and able to listen.

I think you're just discouraged right now. It's hard to look for jobs and not find something right away. You're feeling like a failure and it's not helping anything. You have to ask yourself if you're really content with how things are right now for you and what it's going to take for things to change.

You know you have things to contribute, there's something out there that you can do. You like to write, would you like working in a book store, a magazine shop? Sometimes there are oddball jobs that you don't really think about which is why it's good to look at every human being out there that you see who is working in some way and decide if you can do what their doing and even ask them how they got into that particular job.

Another way to possibly find a career that could fit you is to go to a community college and speak with counselors and ask if they offer a vocational aptitude test. There are sometimes jobs you never heard of or considered that might be exactly right for you.

And just take small steps - you don't have to change your whole world overnight, but you can change it in steps at a time. First a job - I always think that some job, any job at all is better than nothing. That can mean starting a dog walking or pet sitting service, or home health aide, or courier of some kind. Even see what your mother does for a job, maybe she could give you some tips.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes, they do those skills tests now -- a lot isn't so much about skills but personality profiling if they ask you questions like "Do you think people talk just to hear themselves talk" and give you a selection from strongly agree to strongly disagree. You have to read between the lines, if it's a customer service job, you have to sound helpful and able to listen.

I think you're just discouraged right now. It's hard to look for jobs and not find something right away. You're feeling like a failure and it's not helping anything. You have to ask yourself if you're really content with how things are right now for you and what it's going to take for things to change.

You know you have things to contribute, there's something out there that you can do. You like to write, would you like working in a book store, a magazine shop? Sometimes there are oddball jobs that you don't really think about which is why it's good to look at every human being out there that you see who is working in some way and decide if you can do what their doing and even ask them how they got into that particular job.

Another way to possibly find a career that could fit you is to go to a community college and speak with counselors and ask if they offer a vocational aptitude test. There are sometimes jobs you never heard of or considered that might be exactly right for you.

And just take small steps - you don't have to change your whole world overnight, but you can change it in steps at a time. First a job - I always think that some job, any job at all is better than nothing. That can mean starting a dog walking or pet sitting service, or home health aide, or courier of some kind. Even see what your mother does for a job, maybe she could give you some tips.
Yeah I know.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:18 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by napy666 View Post
Why should I care about your thoughts? I'm the one who can make the changes happen and what I'm doing not applying and practicing isn't enough I need to do a new step try something new to get that job or get that license.
Why did you post here, if you don't care about others' thoughts and suggestions? Are you enjoying being so ungracious?

Here's some unsolicited advice: one of the changes you clearly need to make happen is in your attitude towards others.

Go ahead, "try something new". It's called common courtesy.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:32 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Why did you post here, if you don't care about others' thoughts and suggestions? Are you enjoying being so ungracious?

Here's some unsolicited advice: one of the changes you clearly need to make happen is in your attitude towards others.

And also, if you want to be an employable-type person, you can't flounce off in a snit every time you get criticized or when things don't go your way. For the type of work you're qualified for, you need to prove that you're friendly, helpful, and can get along with others.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:58 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times
Quote:

Imagine how her parents feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.