U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 05:50 PM

47,573 posts, read 60,666,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by napy666 View Post
I have been looking for a paying job and applying to jobs a lot this past week and weekend alright.
Good luck on finding a job. Don't give up, don't get discouraged. Even if you have to take a job that you know you won't like for very long, use it as a stepping stone to something else. It really helps to have some job experience and self-confidence.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:41 AM

2,141 posts, read 2,570,825 times
Quote:
I have been looking for a paying job and applying to jobs a lot this past week and weekend alright.
Good for you! It's hard out there but independence will do a lot for your self-esteem.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:10 AM

626 posts, read 1,126,198 times
Quote:
I am working on my anxiety n depression and the therapist I have right now is great. I applied to several jobs this whole week. I even tried this job agency but they weren't worth my time.

They needed someone with EXPERIENCE in the office work fields only to qualify for their jobs.
You tried one agency when there are many, many different agencies out there. Open up an old fashion telephone book and look through temporary agencies and you will find that there are agencies for office workers, hospitality workers, and manual labor. At this point, in spite of your writing, you do not have office experience where as there are secretaries and former executives who either retired early or lost their jobs in this recession, why would they take a kid with no experience over someone with decades of experience? You either have to start working in the service industry or start working in a manual labor type of situation. You have no experience, no education, and no well-crafted specialized skills that will put you on top of anyone's list of application. If you want to work, then you need to be realistic about the type of opportunities you truly are qualified for.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:54 PM

548 posts, read 795,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Siobhan View Post
You tried one agency when there are many, many different agencies out there. Open up an old fashion telephone book and look through temporary agencies and you will find that there are agencies for office workers, hospitality workers, and manual labor. At this point, in spite of your writing, you do not have office experience where as there are secretaries and former executives who either retired early or lost their jobs in this recession, why would they take a kid with no experience over someone with decades of experience? You either have to start working in the service industry or start working in a manual labor type of situation. You have no experience, no education, and no well-crafted specialized skills that will put you on top of anyone's list of application. If you want to work, then you need to be realistic about the type of opportunities you truly are qualified for.

There are tons of jobs that take people with no experience. How does a person get a job with no experience they don't. But they got to start somewhere right? No one was born with all of the experience in the world, and then got their job right then and there.

I do have education I have my high school diploma. If I didn't have that I would be really screwed when looking for work.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:10 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,900,650 times
Quote:
There are tons of jobs that take people with no experience. How does a person get a job with no experience they don't. But they got to start somewhere right? No one was born with all of the experience in the world, and then got their job right then and there.

I do have education I have my high school diploma. If I didn't have that I would be really screwed when looking for work.
The issue is your age and the fact that you have no experience or college degree. It's a red flag to employers. If a woman had been raising a child that could be another explanation of how a person has spent their time in the past several years.

It doesn't mean you won't be hired, but it may make it more difficult. Getting hired as event staff is often not terribly difficult. It might mean very part time work, but it would be a first step. You can take the Metro within walking distance of the Hollywood Bowl, and that would be a fun summer job, IMO.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:36 PM

18,433 posts, read 29,507,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlove71 View Post
The issue is your age and the fact that you have no experience or college degree. It's a red flag to employers. If a woman had been raising a child that could be another explanation of how a person has spent their time in the past several years.

It doesn't mean you won't be hired, but it may make it more difficult. Getting hired as event staff is often not terribly difficult. It might mean very part time work, but it would be a first step. You can take the Metro within walking distance of the Hollywood Bowl, and that would be a fun summer job, IMO.
I have an education and I have gone periods of not working. I am going through one of those periods right now.

I have a wonderful resume but they still want to know what I was doing those two years where I was not working. Just like they are going to want to know why I have not worked since last June. I do always have a good reason.

They certainly do want to know though, and have no problem asking during an interview.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:10 PM

550 posts, read 834,392 times
Quote:
Because I don't need school, I'm already doing what you do after or during community college or college in general.

Why should I not let it get me down? It took me about 20 times to pass the written exam, and the driving test another few more times and I still have not pasted it and I wasted a ton of money on it. So yeah I am going to be upset about it.

No I'm not better I am done with everything.

Most places of employment look for someone with a degree. So you do need school. Go to your local community college and get a degree in something. You will have an easier time finding a job. One is not going to fall out of the sky.

Or you could try applying to McDonalds, Burger King, or Walmart. They are usually always hiring. Is there one in your area?

Old 03-24-2013, 06:56 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,315,479 times
There is a program called workforce in some states. I do not know if is available in yours, but I'm sure there is a comparable program available. It provides training and employment assistance. Don't give up. Google employment state agencies.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:19 PM

626 posts, read 1,126,198 times
Quote:

Graduating from high school is just a step in life. In my parent's day, having a high school diploma could get you access to working in industry, but our economy has shifted to a service and technologically based economy. The good jobs require a specialized education. Having a high school diploma will not get you a job as an administrative assistant in today's economy; you are competing against secretaries with decades of experiences and college graduates with liberal arts degrees.

There are tons of jobs that take people with no experience, but usually those people have attitudes that give the hiring manager the impression that they are willing to learn. You worked in two previous retail jobs; you only lasted a month in them before you quit. In other threads, you said that you didn't know why people need to shower more than once a week? Do you think perhaps when you hand in your application that people aren't looking at your appearance? They are.

They are also looking at your attitude. I've watched your videos and I've read through your threads. You do not have very high self-esteem and I imagine that you are probably not comfortable interacting with strangers, especially if you suffer from depression and anxiety. That will come across in how you talk to people. You do not have a driver's license and there are applications that require you to add a a form of ID. Someone looking over your application may wonder why someone in their mid-20s lacks a driver's license and any form of higher education.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:38 PM

10,511 posts, read 8,444,104 times
Napy, I know you have said that you don't think taking additional classes is worth your time. You've also written about how difficult it's been to find work, despite applying for a variety of jobs.

One thing I've noticed about your writing here is that you tend to make a few very minor punctuation errors, and that your vocabulary and grammar are very slightly off at times. It really doesn't make much difference here on C-D, and I think your posts are generally quite comprehensible. However, it occurred to me to wonder if something similar is happening with your various application, and if that might be why you are having trouble finding work.

An example of this from your last post is "How does a person with no experience get a job they don't.". You've left of the question mark and also have a run-on sentence which should be broken in two: "How does a person with no experience get a job? They don't."

Similarly, "I do have education I have my high school diploma". This needs to be broken into two separate sentences, or at least separated by a dash or colon: "I do have (an) education - I have my high school diploma". Using the dash or a colon in the same place gives the written sentence the approximate rhythm of a spoken sentence, and lends emphasis to the concluding phrase. Otherwise, it's another run-on sentence.

In the same post, you've also used "got" rather than "have" " But they got to start somewhere right?". "Got" is informal and colloquial; "have" is more businesslike. A comma belongs after "somewhere", too.

Your spelling seems to be quite good, and that's very important. But do watch the niceties when it comes to punctuation and word-choice. Try reading your sentences out loud (or whisper them softly to yourself if you're filling out an application in an office) and see where the breaks naturally occur, then see if a comma, colon, semi-colon, or dash might improve them. Make sure you use the best word to convey not only your meaning, but also the tone and formality or informality of what you write, depending on your circumstances and what you hope to achieve. A well-written application or resume reflects very positively on the job applicant, so it's worth taking extra time to present your "paper self" as well as possible.

The cure for lapses of punctuation and grammar? Being more painstaking and also educating yourself, one way or another, about good business writing. A short refresher class or workshop on business writing might be very, very helpful to you, and the websites you create and manage might also benefit. If I were you (and I know I'm not!), I'd see what's available at your local community college, or through your public schools' adult education department. If neither of these ideas are appealing, see what your local library can offer. Polish up your professionalism and self-presentation, and you'll have a much better chance of finding work.

Last edited by CraigCreek; 03-24-2013 at 09:39 PM.. Reason: Fixed my own run-on sentence!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships