U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 12:49 PM

3,881 posts, read 7,285,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperC View Post
I agree somehow with both of you..

I do like spenger's view, but also understand Crabcakes view.

Crabcakes's intention is most likely not to exclude the mother, I understand that Crabcakes just really want her mother be involve in the way the other's is doing.
Thanks. I'm not trying to b*tch. Its not that serious.

Its just that in this day and age, it so easy to reach out to people with so many ways to send information (internet, cell phones, digital pics, etc). That is, everyone except those not online. And its fun talking and joking with in-laws and other relatives online.

That's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 12:57 PM

6,343 posts, read 7,794,138 times
I'm 77. I visit C-D daily. I have a FB account. Only opened it because I was searching for someone a few years ago and got a clue that the person was on FB. I don't see much that interests me on FB.

My family is full of techies who can zoom around the 'net but they don't have FB accounts. I find it sad that people think FB is a must for everyone. BUT here's my take: Back in the day, when FB didn't exist, it was necessary to send written invitations to events, or make a gazillion phone calls to let people know about the birthday party/skating party/First Communion/bridal shower/etc, etc. If you can put one message on FB and reach everyone, but Mom has no account, you only have to make ONE phone call to let her know. How hard is that? And think how happy Mom will be to hear your voice.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:01 PM

726 posts, read 1,006,600 times
I know a lot of people who don't use the internet. I figure it's a choice, like people who never learned to drive, or cook, or garden on and on....

Old 03-22-2013, 02:04 PM

11,140 posts, read 20,313,684 times
I have neighbors who don't have the internet or even own a computer. These are neighbors in their 30's with school-age kids. I can't imagine living like that, but I know five or six families on my street alone who don't have internet access. (The kids ask my daughter if they can come use the computer when they need to do research, because the library is 10 miles away and they don't have computers at home). To me, that's frustrating.

And about moms...my mom is a college professor. She's used the internet longer than I have. She calls me to google things for her, and she always wants pictures printed out, even when she's seen them online and even saved them to her computer. She even demands that I frame them. Sometimes I can't afford it and she gets mad at me.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:09 PM

10,060 posts, read 13,948,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
(The kids ask my daughter if they can come use the computer when they need to do research, because the library is 10 miles away and they don't have computers at home). To me, that's frustrating.
I would jokingly tell them sure let me check the AOL rate per min. from 15 years ago. Never mind they wouldn't get it.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:54 PM

2,898 posts, read 5,181,364 times
Like someone else said before me, some people have no interest in certain things & that's fine. If I were offered free Superbowl tix, I wouldn't go... why? I don't know what they're doing on the field, don't know anything about any sport & have no interest in learning. In fact, my SO is friends with 2 Bronco's players & although we've been invited to games several times, I've told him to find someone to go with who would appreciate the gesture. I know... some are lighting torches to chase me from the village & swatting their foreheads in wonder, but, I'd rather decline than sit in the stadium freezing & bored, which is no fun for him, either. I wouldn't invite him to a hair show or fashion show for the same reasons.

To the OP, yes, none of my relatives or friends (most abroad) go online at all, even though a few of them have a dusty, old computer in a corner somewhere... probably 386 desktops with towers. Most don't own computers.

Since it took 1-yr of continual instruction to get my mum to use a cell phone & 6-mos of instruction on a cordless phone with combined answering machine before that (my goodness, that was challenging), she has no interest in 'that machine' as she refers to it. But, I do have a funny story.

In Boston, I had 87-yr old neighbors for whom I did maintenance, as we had a shared alleyway... I shoveled snow, took out the garbage, Weedwacked their small yard, etc. One summer day as I was hosing off their siding, the Missus looked out the window when she heard the racket & I told her not to worry, it's just me doing a bit of house care. She said, 'Hold on dear, I can't hear you, I'm on my Facebook page'... As an aside, she also got her bachelor's in accounting at age 55.

For some, it's never too late to learn. I'd always wished my mum were more like that, but, since she's perfectly content reading mysteries & watching Judge Judy in her flat, she seems just fine to me. She never was a letter writer in days gone by, so I can't expect her to be an emailer today. Instead, we talk on the phone once/wk. With most, I mail the occasional holiday card. The SO & I get off the computer whenever together... we'd rather spend face time together than communicate via text or phone call... which I strongly dislike. To each his/her own.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:53 PM

15,091 posts, read 13,737,389 times
My 89 year old grandfather doesn't use the internet. My 67 year old grandmother and 70 year old grandfather use the internet daily. They got smartphones before I did and have a tablet. No surprise they're just as connected as anyone else. They're not really that old. They were in their 40s and 50s when internet and computer access expanded while my older grandfather was already in his 70s.

I visit my 89 year old grandfather every week and can contact him with his house phone.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:57 PM

10,060 posts, read 13,948,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
My 89 year old grandfather doesn't use the internet. My 67 year old grandmother and 70 year old grandfather use the internet daily. They got smartphones before I did and have a tablet. No surprise they're just as connected as anyone else. They're not really that old. They were in their 40s and 50s when internet and computer access expanded while my older grandfather was already in his 70s.

I visit my 89 year old grandfather every week and can contact him with his house phone.
My Mom wants a smartphone every time she sees mine then I remind here it's 90 a month plus taxes and she is suddenly happy with tmobile prepaid.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:17 AM

2,477 posts, read 2,513,364 times
I know several people that don't have the internet. They don't have cell service in their areas, either. It's okay.

We call their landlines. And the Postal Service still serves all over, either three day a week delivery or boxes at the office.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:49 AM

26,346 posts, read 82,801,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
Do you know of anyone who does not use the internet at all? Does it affect your relationship at all, like in staying in touch? In other ways?

Just curious. My mom, who is 65, has never owned a computer, doesn't have internet (or cable) and has no interest in it. The only real annoying this is because she's offline, she misses out on so much. Many of my other relatives are online and have a Facebook account so we naturally post pics, updates, statuses and keep in touch so much more and she's totally on the outside of this.

Whenever I take any pics, I usually load them to my Facebook profile shortly after so people can see them but because she's not on, she requests that I print them up just for her. Everything, she wants printed up. I've been trying to indulge her but its getting to be too much. She also misses out on all sorts of other things.

I also just finished my baby shower registry and of course its online and she's of course the only one not online so don't know how that will work for her.
My parents (91 and 90) don't use the internet. And yes, I have to print out all the photos I take of my family and their grandkids, etc and mail them to them.

When you and I are older, our grandkids will be complaining the you and I don't use the inter-cranial data messaging services which allow instant transmission of thoughts and feelings over the aether.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or