U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2013, 11:46 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,429,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
I hate them, too. They're simply a waste of an afternoon, evening, day, whatever. I hate the whole stupid game thing. These events are NOT fun. I don't do them at work, home, for friends, relatives, etc. They're right up there with tupperware parties. BORING! I'll send a gift with my regrets. And I SEND it... I don't deliver it myself. And if I send a shower gift, don't expect another when the 'big event' arrives.
Agree 100%. The stupid games are demeaning - like we are all stupid and are actually amused by it. Ugh! As a single, older, no-children female, I THINK of all the money I spent on these things and I never once had a "new puppy" or "newly adopted shelter dog" shower! Now it's the nieces and nephews getting married and having kids. They live far away and I haven't even met the spouses yet here come the invitations and the list of stores where they are registered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 12:04 PM

10,026 posts, read 9,197,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
That is tacky! I would have just declined to drop anything in the bucket. and, I wouldn't have wasted a sick day either.

Maybe because I'm getting old now...But I could really care less what people think...so I don't cave to that "norm" anymore. Too bad we waste so much of our youth doing what is expected, rather than just what we choose regarding some of these social "norms"

Back when I was having babies, first baby you had a shower. Close friends and relatives were who you invited. Same with weddings and engagement parties. If you didn't know them personally, why would they be there. Things have obviously changed.
I was younger then and afraid to stand up for myself. Now though I would decline and be blunt as in I don't know her that well, don't expect to be invited to the wedding so I don't feel I should have to contribute anything.

Sort of related to this but at another job they were asking for donations to help plan a retirement party for this one lady. I worked with her and liked her so I had no problem contributing to this at all.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
Agree 100%. The stupid games are demeaning - like we are all stupid and are actually amused by it. Ugh! As a single, older, no-children female, I THINK of all the money I spent on these things and I never once had a "new puppy" or "newly adopted shelter dog" shower! Now it's the nieces and nephews getting married and having kids. They live far away and I haven't even met the spouses yet here come the invitations and the list of stores where they are registered.
The games are beyond lame. I mean melted candy in a diaper pretending to be poop and making a dress out of toilet paper. I would rather give money to someone adopting a dog.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
OOOH MAN I hate those baby/bridal shower games! I get so bored. I also am excellent at REAL games, so to amuse myself I really buckle down and kick ass on the games and then win all the little prizes. I don't want the silly prizes, so after I win them, I later give them to any guest who seems to admire them after they're unwrapped. I "wonder" why I haven't been invited to any lately????

I think the worst was a bridal shower attended by everyone from the bride's friends and co-workers to her grandma. At the end of the shower (after grandma and elders left), there was going to be a bachelorette party with a limo to take the bride's friends out to several bars. Several people told me about it, so, like a dope, and being one of the bride's friends, I assumed I was invited. NOPE! It was very embarrassing to have one of the brides CLOSER friends pull me aside to tell me that I wasn't invited because the limo only seated X number of people and they didn't have room for one more. AWKWARD!

As for the greedy registries, we had a good laugh at the registry for a friend who threw herself and hubby a housewarming party and included a link to their registry in the invitation. We thought "Great they're registered at Target, we'll get off cheap!" Wrong, everything on the list was something that was over $100. Seriously! Housewarming gifts are supposed to be simple things like a plant, a bottle of wine, maybe some kitchen towels or something like that. They included things on their's like a $500 Dyson vacuum. They know all of their friends and family are on the limited income side of the economy. I gave them an alarm clock. I know that they did not get the symbolism of the gift, the fact that they needed to WAKE UP and realize that we are not going to furnish their new home.
After my sister in law's shower there was a bachelorette party but I declined. It was mostly her friends and some liked me but others did not. I was friends with her sister and asked her if she was going but she wasn't so I didn't want to go either. I think it is tacky not to invite all the friends to a bachelorette party an I would even include my cousins around my age too.

Bachelorette parties to me are more acceptable than bridal showers but still not into either that much. I will probably have a tame bachelorette party as in I have some friends and relatives around my age and maybe watch movies, eat and talk. Or go to a local bar and have a drink or two. Then again it depends on who I marry. If I marry this guy his "bachelor party" will be at the American Legion and consist of him drinking with his friends and maybe I will go there too. I would not be happy with a man at my age having a bachelor party with strippers.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:34 PM

2,431 posts, read 4,594,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I will probably have a tame bachelorette party as in I have some friends and relatives around my age and maybe watch movies, eat and talk.
That's more my speed. I've only been to one bachelorette "party", and that was dinner at a nice restaurant in town for about 10. It included the mother of the bride, her sisters and close friends, and me (because I was the GF of the best man). Very nice, very classy. It still commemorated the occasion, but without the embarrassing moments.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
That's more my speed. I've only been to one bachelorette "party", and that was dinner at a nice restaurant in town for about 10. It included the mother of the bride, her sisters and close friends, and me (because I was the GF of the best man). Very nice, very classy. It still commemorated the occasion, but without the embarrassing moments.
This reminds me a bridal shower I did attend. I was invited to a bridal shower and attended because it was a friend I hadn't seen in years. Long story it wasn't your typical shower, but more of a bachelorette party because it was on a Saturday night, only consisted of friends and no games. I think we mostly ate, talked, watched a movie and she unwrapped the gifts. I didn't mind this and wouldn't mind a night out with the girls as long at there are no lame games and all of that.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:13 PM

12,480 posts, read 14,903,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
I agree! But then, I'm not your typical female as well (also never wanted kids---actually surprised myself by getting married). The games are ridiculous. And having to give expensive gifts is not my thing, especially if I never receive a thank you note for them.

I admit it: I was hurt at my job when, after participating in all these showers, I adopted my first cat (a big step for me---had never had a pet as an adult) and I wasn't given a kitty shower! I know my co-workers just didn't think that way, but it would have been so nice....
uh huh-I agree. Same with my dogs. I have no children except for my fur babies;yet to my knowledge there are no allowed times off for me to take my sick ones to the vet. And no,no one has ever sent me a gift for my fur babies.
I suppose I could pull a Carrie Bradshaw and throw myself a "hey,I'm not getting married and not having kids but I want some gifts too so I'm registering at_____________"

Old 03-29-2013, 02:34 PM

6,475 posts, read 9,889,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
Ugh! As a single, older, no-children female, I THINK of all the money I spent on these things and I never once had a "new puppy" or "newly adopted shelter dog" shower! Now it's the nieces and nephews getting married and having kids. They live far away and I haven't even met the spouses yet here come the invitations and the list of stores where they are registered.
They all forgot about me when I bought my home... by myself without any help. You think anyone bothered to gift me a set of coffee mugs for a housewarming? Hell no... so now they get NOTHING from me! Same as at work... I got nothing, so I quit giving. But you know what... they all called me out on it... then I called them out... now they know better than to expect me to attend.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:08 PM

12 posts, read 13,931 times
The registries are such a crack-up to me. I hate all these rituals with a deep-seeded passion. I got married at an old-fashion court house. Intimate reception..close friends and family. Cost = $60 for the certificate and $80 for the small chapel to wed us. And yes we are still happyly married almost 10 years.

Now did my friends even bring a gift? No. And that's ok. But then my so called friend..goes and marries some fake bia#%$....Decides he wants to go around and throw this huge wedding. Complete with friggin rehearsals, dinners, tuxes..gifts ..the whole shabang...then he drops the be my best man thing on me and I'm supposed to present a big quirky funny speech at the reception.

Frankly, my wife and I felt insulted at the whole thing. Just so fake. So what did I do.?? I said no thanks to being the best man. Drove all the way down to be fitted for a stupid tux..then insisted that it was to be charged to the wedding tab.. I don't pay ($105 by the way). Did not buy them a gift..tit for tat. And laughed to myself at the whole dog and pony show.

Another fake friend has a wedding and I''m in town so he invites me. Turns out he has a huge registry at crate and barrel..for everything from blenders, to shot glasses! I figured ahh what the heck, so I tried to buy the cheapest thing on the registry that hadn't been purchased...A ceramic cooking utensil holder...$12. By the time the wedding day arrived, I was so upset by the whole registry crap..that I ended up keeping the gift for myself..lol I gave it to MY wife as a gift to which we still happily use our ceramic untesil holder from crate and barrel today.

Needless to say, I'm not cut out for these rituals. Thank God.

Needless to say, we are not friends anymore.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:22 PM

10 posts, read 30,164 times
Hahahah too funny, what are we doing to ourselves???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships