Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2013, 04:37 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
This thread is full of win and enjoying reading the comments. I have to add this one because it is the epitome of tackiness. At a former employer they put together a company wide bridal shower for a woman getting married and passed around a bucket for us to donate ON TOP of giving a gift. Tacky part #1. Tacky part #2 was the bride was having a big wedding and not inviting most of the coworkers. I didn't really know her that well and was angry being asked to donate money and a gift. The etiquette is that only people invited to the wedding should be invited to the shower. I pretended I was sick that day.
That is tacky! I would have just declined to drop anything in the bucket. and, I wouldn't have wasted a sick day either.

Maybe because I'm getting old now...But I could really care less what people think...so I don't cave to that "norm" anymore. Too bad we waste so much of our youth doing what is expected, rather than just what we choose regarding some of these social "norms"

Back when I was having babies, first baby you had a shower. Close friends and relatives were who you invited. Same with weddings and engagement parties. If you didn't know them personally, why would they be there. Things have obviously changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 06:13 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,577,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I have seen a developing trend of "Display Shower", wherein everyone is advised NOT to wrap their gift and at the shower, one of the hostesses will relieve you of the package and put it on a side table, on "display", so that people can, if so inclined, take a gander at the goodies close-up and personal.
!!! I'm horrified at this! I love wrapping gifts. I love unwrapping gifts. I like to see a person unwrapping the gift that I gave them. How strange just to walk by a table with all the items.

I do acknowledge that the un-wrapping time can be quite long at large showers, but if only if close friends and relatives are invited, that should cut down on the time.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:51 AM

10 posts, read 49,061 times
I have been reading CD for a long time. Felt today I should join! What a laugh I had.
Unfortunatly have my own bad to the bone experiences.
Never ever again.
I am European, married to north American. That shower crap doesn't happen in Northern Europe.
But we do have bachelorette parties for the girls.
Well my party turned very sour, and I lost my best friend. For my sisters party I never got invited, because it was to much of a hassle to inform me about it since I live overseas. Same goes for my ex- sister in law. Too much if you have to invite people that are living far away.
I remember living in Germany, and was invited to a baby shower. Now having never heard of a baby shower, I asked my hubby, if they were going to give the baby a bath? Stupid, heh?
Well anyhooooo, will never go again.
Hope to make friends here at CD. XXXX Mo

Old 03-29-2013, 08:13 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
When I was a kid I actually thought bridal 'showers' were where you bathed the bride, and where babies had their first bath or something. Yes, kids think the darndest things but can you blame me, wth are they even called showers? Even now I have no idea what goes on there, I'm not really interested either.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:33 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,728,260 times
I hate them for many of the reasons in the OP except the lack of alcohol, every occasion doesn't and shouldn't require drinking. If someone is going for some liquor, they should go to a bar on their own time. I can't stand them because of the socialization of the women at these events. I always send a gift from the registry and don't bother attending. I also want to add to the list bachelorette parties, I never go to those at all. I think it's gross to be expected to pin a penis on a man poster or suck on penis lollipops or get grinded on by greasy male strippers. I don't see what's so funny, cute and entertaining about that whole thing.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:10 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,577,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menuet View Post
That shower crap doesn't happen in Northern Europe.
Too funny!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
wth are they even called showers?
Because you "shower them" with gifts. Seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
I also want to add to the list bachelorette parties, I never go to those at all. I think it's gross to be expected to pin a penis on a man poster or suck on penis lollipops or get grinded on by greasy male strippers.
Oh boy, count me out! It's not that I'm an old fogey (well, maybe I am), but I don't see myself going to this at ANY age! WAAY too "in your face". Literally.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:29 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
I also hate the raunchy bachelorette parties. I have zero attraction to male strippers, and all the "penis" party favors are tacky, and not even relevant (it's not like a virgin is getting married and we're celebrating her first contact with a penis).

My sister agrees with me, so for her bachelorette party, we all went to a restauant, then a comedy club, then a bar. A few of her friends decided to bring penis drinking straws and to make her a "boa" of condoms, but those were the minority.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:31 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
OOOH MAN I hate those baby/bridal shower games! I get so bored. I also am excellent at REAL games, so to amuse myself I really buckle down and kick ass on the games and then win all the little prizes. I don't want the silly prizes, so after I win them, I later give them to any guest who seems to admire them after they're unwrapped. I "wonder" why I haven't been invited to any lately????

I think the worst was a bridal shower attended by everyone from the bride's friends and co-workers to her grandma. At the end of the shower (after grandma and elders left), there was going to be a bachelorette party with a limo to take the bride's friends out to several bars. Several people told me about it, so, like a dope, and being one of the bride's friends, I assumed I was invited. NOPE! It was very embarrassing to have one of the brides CLOSER friends pull me aside to tell me that I wasn't invited because the limo only seated X number of people and they didn't have room for one more. AWKWARD!

As for the greedy registries, we had a good laugh at the registry for a friend who threw herself and hubby a housewarming party and included a link to their registry in the invitation. We thought "Great they're registered at Target, we'll get off cheap!" Wrong, everything on the list was something that was over $100. Seriously! Housewarming gifts are supposed to be simple things like a plant, a bottle of wine, maybe some kitchen towels or something like that. They included things on their's like a $500 Dyson vacuum. They know all of their friends and family are on the limited income side of the economy. I gave them an alarm clock. I know that they did not get the symbolism of the gift, the fact that they needed to WAKE UP and realize that we are not going to furnish their new home.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:35 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,728,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I also hate the raunchy bachelorette parties. I have zero attraction to male strippers, and all the "penis" party favors are tacky, and not even relevant (it's not like a virgin is getting married and we're celebrating her first contact with a penis).

My sister agrees with me, so for her bachelorette party, we all went to a restauant, then a comedy club, then a bar. A few of her friends decided to bring penis drinking straws and to make her a "boa" of condoms, but those were the minority.
Well I am a virgin and if I were getting married we would,in fact, be celebrating just that, LOL. But I still wouldn't want those tacky types of things, I would rather go paint balling or to a spa day, something like that. I went to a bachelorette party many moons ago where the bride-to-be was surprised with male strippers, they were also wearing this 'penis shaped' type hats as well. I got up and left and most of the women there called me 'uptight' for it. I didn't care though.

I think the idea of the comedy club and going out to eat sound fine for a pre wedding party. It is at least something everyone can feel comfortable doing.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:36 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
!!! I'm horrified at this! I love wrapping gifts. I love unwrapping gifts. I like to see a person unwrapping the gift that I gave them. How strange just to walk by a table with all the items.

I do acknowledge that the un-wrapping time can be quite long at large showers, but if only if close friends and relatives are invited, that should cut down on the time.
A shower for a small group of friends is not the subject. At those showers, yes, the bride-/mother-to-be will be opening her own gifts. When you get to the really big showers where the guests number upwards of a hundred, the guest of honor doesn't open her own gifts. That's done by members of the bridal party who open the gift, fold back the tissue, take the card out of the envelope and place it on top of the contents. The GoH holds up the gift, announces the name of the donor, and passes it along to the next "helper" who will close the box and put it aside. Now, that's horrifying!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships