U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 06:17 AM

2,275 posts, read 3,169,045 times

Advertisements

What do you do when you find yourself doing too much for people? How do you scale back and what steps are/have you taken?

I realize I have been too nice at work. I'm one of those that doesn't mind helping out and will do stuff, because it has to be done. But then I get frustrated later on because I realize by doing certain things, other people assume I will always do it, and if I don't get it done, it doesn't get done.

I know I'm speaking general, but I feel the more I do, the more I get pulled in other directions, and I find myself always going. Meanwhile I've also realized the more I do, the more they expect, and the one or few times I say "no" or don't respond as expected, they get upset. So I feel like I get less in return. As a result, I'm more conscious of what I do and am scaling back on what I'll do.

Anyone have similar stories?

Last edited by LexWest; 03-29-2013 at 06:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 07:02 AM

7,215 posts, read 7,905,475 times
Setting boundaries is very important. One strategy might be, "Sorry, I just don't have time for that as I'm already working on X, Y, and Z". That can set a boundary without making giving the other person the excuse that you're being lazy or unhelpful.

Another strategy might be to say something like, "That sounds great! I can definitely help out with that project. Let's have a meeting about it so we can figure out a gameplan. Shoot me an email with a time when you want to meet." That puts the impetus back on the other person to initiate things.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:47 AM

16,030 posts, read 12,818,958 times
Been there, done that. Cost me alot of money and effort to be the helpful idiot.

You have to learn to be more selfish.

I have helped when nobody else helped. People get used to it and don't appreciate it anymore. They start to EXPECT it from you. If you then say NO once, they are mad and make you the bad guy. Even though you already helped more than anybody else.

But they aren't mad at other people when they say no because they are used to get rejected from them.

I learned to not always make other peoples' problems to my problems. Every time somebody complained about something, I felt the need to help. Some people just need to vent and don't even expect help.

So if somebody tells you "Oh, I am so stressed out, because .. and I don't have anybody helping me ..." Don't do the usual, offering help.

Offer solutions or empathy. Either say "Oooh, you poor thing, that must be hard on you". Or "Oooh, poor thing, luckily you have a big family that can help, right?" Or "I hope you find something to help with that..." Or in a little meaner way "I feel for you, I am glad I don't have to deal with that". That puts a stop to it right away. Try it, it works!

Old 03-29-2013, 11:56 AM

9,070 posts, read 15,026,816 times
Definately setting boundaries. However, once set, you have to be sure you maintain them!

It will be difficult to scale back the help now that it is expected because those you are "helping" will not want to see their own workload increase. However, for your own sanity, it will need to be done.

Sometimes you have to say "no" for your own good.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:09 PM

3,317 posts, read 3,019,678 times
I am very much like the OP. I try to be helpful, but others see it as an opportunity to take advantage. The more I worked, the more sitting and surfing my co-workers did.

Quote:
So if somebody tells you "Oh, I am so stressed out, because .. and I don't have anybody helping me ..." Don't do the usual, offering help. Offer solutions or empathy.
Or just say, "I'm sure you'll be able to handle it." LOL

Old 03-31-2013, 10:00 AM

3,752 posts, read 7,482,370 times
Say no.
Say I would love to but I dont have the capacity
Say - I really need to set boundaries and ensure I am able to handle my responsibilities
or - just say - cant. Sorry (that is optional).

Old 03-31-2013, 01:44 PM

9,048 posts, read 14,316,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
What do you do when you find yourself doing too much for people? How do you scale back and what steps are/have you taken?

I realize I have been too nice at work. I'm one of those that doesn't mind helping out and will do stuff, because it has to be done. But then I get frustrated later on because I realize by doing certain things, other people assume I will always do it, and if I don't get it done, it doesn't get done.

I know I'm speaking general, but I feel the more I do, the more I get pulled in other directions, and I find myself always going. Meanwhile I've also realized the more I do, the more they expect, and the one or few times I say "no" or don't respond as expected, they get upset. So I feel like I get less in return. As a result, I'm more conscious of what I do and am scaling back on what I'll do.

Anyone have similar stories?
This was the story of my life. When you do too much for people, when you are a pleaser, you will attract crappy people. And they don't like it when you set boundaries.

I finally reached a point where my life, the people in it and the choices I made exhausted me. I was worn out, from the inside out. And I no longer wanted to please anymore. It was a really tough time moving away from all that. I lost a lot of, what I thought, were friends. And because they were in my life for so long, I had attachments to them, even though I was better off without them. My loyalties and my character were under attack. *I* was a crappy friend. I eventually stopped focusing on how wrong all of it was, accepted that is just is, it has nothing to do with me and I put it behind me. I don't deal with any of that now. I have quality people in my life. The rest, and those like them, really want nothing to do with me. I have no supply to offer them.

When you make the decision to get right with yourself and make yourself a priority, you will attract people who respect you, without fail. Old habits die hard, you may fall back into the same traps. It's probably all you know. So, it will take some reprogramming, so to speak.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:13 PM

17,005 posts, read 17,327,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Setting boundaries is very important. One strategy might be, "Sorry, I just don't have time for that as I'm already working on X, Y, and Z". That can set a boundary without making giving the other person the excuse that you're being lazy or unhelpful.

Another strategy might be to say something like, "That sounds great! I can definitely help out with that project. Let's have a meeting about it so we can figure out a gameplan. Shoot me an email with a time when you want to meet." That puts the impetus back on the other person to initiate things.
Excellent examples.

I will keep them in mind the next time that people try to get me to do more than my fair share (which is often).

Old 03-31-2013, 06:33 PM

47,573 posts, read 60,610,897 times
Can you start showing them how?

I do a lot for people at work but usually it's because I can do it and they can't, or is't something they know I can figure out and they're afraid to try.

Sometimes if I start thinking it's too much, I remind them I might be gone sometime on vacation and maybe they'd want to see how easy it is to do -- usually at least someone is happy to learn.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:39 PM

487 posts, read 691,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
This was the story of my life. When you do too much for people, when you are a pleaser, you will attract crappy people. And they don't like it when you set boundaries.

I finally reached a point where my life, the people in it and the choices I made exhausted me. I was worn out, from the inside out. And I no longer wanted to please anymore. It was a really tough time moving away from all that. I lost a lot of, what I thought, were friends. And because they were in my life for so long, I had attachments to them, even though I was better off without them. My loyalties and my character were under attack. *I* was a crappy friend. I eventually stopped focusing on how wrong all of it was, accepted that is just is, it has nothing to do with me and I put it behind me. I don't deal with any of that now. I have quality people in my life. The rest, and those like them, really want nothing to do with me. I have no supply to offer them.

When you make the decision to get right with yourself and make yourself a priority, you will attract people who respect you, without fail. Old habits die hard, you may fall back into the same traps. It's probably all you know. So, it will take some reprogramming, so to speak.
Know exactly how you feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or