Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 08:17 PM

284 posts, read 340,937 times

Advertisements

So this is my first time having a room mate who incidentally was a perfect stranger: we were randomly paired as we are both in the same program. Anyway, we are very different in temperament, style, personality and --to a great degree-- approach to life. I was brought up to be respectful of others and try very hard to not cross any boundaries as I know that my roomie is a little on the reserved, quiet side. I cook extensively and often invite her to share my meals (which she does). However, she has never once tried to share anything with me. While I had no intention of eating her meals (I don't eat the same type of food that she does), I sometimes wish she would at least ask. Besides the issue of sharing, we get along reasonably well and are cordial to each other.

My main question is I'd like to buy a TV for my bedroom but since we don't have one in the common area, I feel bad because it almost feels selfish to have it all to myself. We have not discussed getting a TV for the living room but based on historical events, I have a feeling she would not want to chip in for a TV...or would wait forever to get one. I recently asked her if we could discuss decorating the apartment (it is furnished but sparse) and she stated that she would talk about it when she has unpacked her bedroom (we moved in ~ 1 mo ago). I feel silly asking this question because I'm in my 20s but I don't really know the protocol for things like this. Bottom line is I will be spending 1 yr living with this individual and I don't want to create any unnecessary conflict.

Suggestions and advice will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 08:21 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
Put the TV in your room. If she wants a TV she'll get one for herself.

If you come home and want to veg...do you think she'd turn the TV to your favorite show/channel if she is watching her favorite show/channel?

You aren't in a relationship with her and you aren't even friends with her. I understand wanting to be cordial and friendly, but I'm sure she wouldn't expect that you put the TV in the common area.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:29 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
Just get a TV for your own room. There will be less chance of conflict.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:38 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,213,936 times
I don't get why you'd feel bad about having a TV for your room. Unless you just don't want to watch TV it's pretty standard for roommates to get their own. I roomed with a friend in college and my dad gave us his old plasma TV for the living room. I was happy I got a TV for my own room because he and his girlfriend spent more time at home than I did and would watch what they wanted about 95% of the time. If you do end up wanting a TV for the living room, tell her she needs to chip in or you won't buy it.

You guys don't have to be best friends. Don't cook for her if you don't feel like she appreciates it. If a friendship happens that's great, but it's more important to be functional partners.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:56 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
My best advice is to relax.

I appreciate that you're trying to be considerate. Many don't even bother anymore.

Get a TV for your room. If she wants one, she'll get one. If, down the road, you find that there is a show you both love to watch, you can watch it together in the BR if you have a chair in there.

But this is your home, too. No need for you to walk on eggshells all the time and second-guess every decision.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:07 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,794,686 times
agree with all the above comments.

as for the decorating---begin adding things you like and if she wants to she can add things she likes.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:12 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
My daughter has had over a dozen roommates (thru college and now as a young working adult) and has always had her own tv in her room. Nothing selfish about it. What you do behind your closed bedroom door isn't your roommates business. Even if you have a central TV there will be conflicts. My d likes to play video games and most of her roomies haven't been that type, or they have different tastes in shows, or something.

Last edited by Ceece; 08-29-2013 at 01:25 AM..

Old 08-29-2013, 02:18 AM

176 posts, read 521,055 times
For $110 she can buy her own TV from Walmart. Or probably even cheaper from CL. But more importantly, why do you feel the need to "share" your possessions with a stranger-roommate? Do you share your laptop with her? Share your camera with her? Share your school books with her? I don't get it.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:20 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nallia1 View Post
So this is my first time having a room mate who incidentally was a perfect stranger: we were randomly paired as we are both in the same program. Anyway, we are very different in temperament, style, personality and --to a great degree-- approach to life. I was brought up to be respectful of others and try very hard to not cross any boundaries as I know that my roomie is a little on the reserved, quiet side. I cook extensively and often invite her to share my meals (which she does). However, she has never once tried to share anything with me. While I had no intention of eating her meals (I don't eat the same type of food that she does), I sometimes wish she would at least ask. Besides the issue of sharing, we get along reasonably well and are cordial to each other.

My main question is I'd like to buy a TV for my bedroom but since we don't have one in the common area, I feel bad because it almost feels selfish to have it all to myself. We have not discussed getting a TV for the living room but based on historical events, I have a feeling she would not want to chip in for a TV...or would wait forever to get one. I recently asked her if we could discuss decorating the apartment (it is furnished but sparse) and she stated that she would talk about it when she has unpacked her bedroom (we moved in ~ 1 mo ago). I feel silly asking this question because I'm in my 20s but I don't really know the protocol for things like this. Bottom line is I will be spending 1 yr living with this individual and I don't want to create any unnecessary conflict.

Suggestions and advice will be appreciated.
Your roomate sounds like a person that uses and doesn't give back. If you buy a tv and put it in the living room next thing you know she will be controlling the remote and what you watch and you will have lost control of YOUR purchase. I would get the tv and put it in your room. I also think I would be cooking for myself.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:26 AM

863 posts, read 1,196,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Your roomate sounds like a person that uses and doesn't give back. If you buy a tv and put it in the living room next thing you know she will be controlling the remote and what you watch and you will have lost control of YOUR purchase. I would get the tv and put it in your room. I also think I would be cooking for myself.
Right - and if she protests, move it to the living room and channel lock it to the catholic channel or c-span3 If you're going to be living together for a year, it's time to set some ground rules. If you're not compatible, it's better to find out now then 3 months down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships