Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 12:46 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,046,326 times

Advertisements

As long as they don't smoke around me or my kids (my older son has a history of asthma), and I don't have to kiss them with ashtray breath, and they don't come into my house or place of business stinking up the place with the stinky cigarette smell, I don't care if someone smokes. It's their choice.

I wish smoker's didn't hang their cigarette outside their car window, though, when they smoke. It sucks when you are waiting at a red light or something and all of a sudden this nasty cigarette smell invades your car. Nasty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 03:20 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,327,366 times
I was a smoker for 27 years and always said that if I ever quit, I would still hang out with smokers...well, I've stopped smoking about ten years ago and can't stand the smell of cigarettes. Even when a smoker passes me on the street and the smoke happens to come in my direction, I cringe. It's not something I chose to do, I just can't stand the smell anymore. It makes me ill. I doubt I could be close friends with a smoker. Just aquaintances is fine, someone you say a quick hello to but no more. I wouldn't put myself through sitting in the smell of cigarettes or cigars.

Last edited by MaggieZ; 03-31-2013 at 09:34 AM..

Old 03-31-2013, 11:09 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
I have some friends that smoke but it's really difficult for me when I visit their homes. Cigarette smoke makes me really sick. I had an older friend in my life that was like a father to me, actually he should have been my father. He was a chain smoker and I would sit by an open window whenever possible but always wound up green by the time I left his house. He died before the restaurants went totally smoke free and way before his time. I have another friend that spends the holidays with us that smokes before she comes in. It's unpleasant to say the least, but I don't have the heart to exclude her and leave her isolated and alone on the holidays. I would be out of a job if it wasn't for the smokers in society so you that want to go ahead and keep puffing away. I'll take care of you when you come to our hospital. I guess it's all about compromise.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:22 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,215,602 times
I find this conversation/debate/inquiry fascinating because this is one of those issues which is categorically subjective. It's like me asking you all -- not telling you what I look like or what colors I prefer -- should I get the red t-shirt or blue-shirt? Fruitless.

As an aside, it's sort of intriguing to me because, these days, (as in the last 10-12 years) I know no one who smokes. No. One. And we have friends all over, living in big cites, small towns, etc., all income levels, all political agendas and non-agendas, parents, non-parents, etc. etc., not a smoker in the bunch.

I do see people smoking in their cars here (much more than where I lived previously) and I wonder who these people are. Half of them do throw their butts on the ground so, clearly, they're assh*oles, and stupid, for sure, just as any litterers are. The rest I wonder about their addiction and/or crutch, aside from the whole poisoning the only body you have thing. But to each his own.

Old 03-31-2013, 03:39 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Okay your choice. Just warning ya, if you live in a place like Kentucky which most of the adult population smokes, you will eliminate a hell of a lot of people.
I live in Kentucky in the heart of the burley tobacco district, have never smoked and have very few friends or acquaintances who smoke. I do see lots of cigarette butts in our streets and gutters, so someone is using the world for his or her ashtray, however.

Old 03-31-2013, 03:39 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,046,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
I find this conversation/debate/inquiry fascinating because this is one of those issues which is categorically subjective. It's like me asking you all -- not telling you what I look like or what colors I prefer -- should I get the red t-shirt or blue-shirt? Fruitless.
Not really. What color shirt a person wears is highly unlikely to ever cause any real discomfort or physical harm to anyone.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:12 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,354,404 times
I don't have anything against the person who smokes, they are people too. I don't think I have any friends who smoke. I am glad of anyone I know who smokes that quits. My mother died from lung cancer and it is not a pretty thing.

Personally, there is something about the smoke that makes me ill, whether it be in the air or on someones skin, hair, or clothing. I start to feel a bit nauseous and get a migraine. If a smoker gets in my space, I have to leave. That is one thing I do not like....

Old 03-31-2013, 06:57 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,215,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Not really. What color shirt a person wears is highly unlikely to ever cause any real discomfort or physical harm to anyone.
The conversation started with "Too picky to want non-cigarette smoking friends?". You're going to get 100 points of view spanning the morality spectrum, what does/should matter in friendships, and how judgmental is too judgmental -- all based strictly on personal points of view and experience, similar to asking about what color t-shirt I should wear. Only I can determine who to be friends with based on how I feel about them and what I need/want in a friend, not the internets.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:12 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
I live in Kentucky in the heart of the burley tobacco district, have never smoked and have very few friends or acquaintances who smoke. I do see lots of cigarette butts in our streets and gutters, so someone is using the world for his or her ashtray, however.
Well, I lived in Louisville (even in the "high-class" St. Matthews/East End area) and pretty much everyone around lighted up often. You know it is popular when you live right across from a hospital and you see no less than 15 people lighting up on the hospital grounds.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:29 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post
I like health conscious people. Detest cigarettes. I've had a few acquaintances who smoke and they just gross me out. One even asked to borrow money because she didn't have cash on her for her filthy habit...never paid me back either.

Am I way too picky to only want non-smokers in my close circle of friends?
No; speaking as a smoker, I wouldn't want to be friends with you either. Life's too short (haha, yes, I GET that I'm shortening my life by smoking) to deal with someone else judging me all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships