U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 09:58 AM

2,755 posts, read 5,307,555 times

Advertisements

I try my best to stay healthy, but I'm not going to reject or end a friendship because of smoking. One good friend I've known for 25 years is a pack a day smoker and it hasn't affected our friendship.

I can think of a myriad of reasons not to be friends with someone besides smoking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 10:18 AM

15,564 posts, read 24,894,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
I try my best to stay healthy, but I'm not going to reject or end a friendship because of smoking. One good friend I've known for 25 years is a pack a day smoker and it hasn't affected our friendship.

I can think of a myriad of reasons not to be friends with someone besides smoking.

while that makes sense, the thought of every time i see so and so, i have to deal with smoke, i rather not. I rather have a friend that doesnt smoke.

to me, at this point in life. i cannot be bothered with it.
it is annoying.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:12 PM

8,823 posts, read 6,346,018 times
It's really not about judging a smoker's character, it's about subjecting myself to something I can't stand. I talk to some very intelligent, interesting smokers still and many CDers here are very likable and probably smoke. It doesn't bother me because I don't sit in the smell and smoke while talking to them. But being close friends would suggest you do things together, go places, and they'd light up a cigarette or you'd go to their house and would have to sit in the smoke filled rooms. I just refused furniture from someone because it was smoke drenched. You can never get rid of the smell. What someone does to their health is their choice and not for me to judge.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:27 PM

9,019 posts, read 16,375,613 times
everyone has their own sensitivities .... but many are just dramatic

I don't enjoy the smell of smoke either, but typically this isn't an issue

most of my smoker friends are respectful - they don't smoke around my kids, they excuse themselves when they go for a cigarette and even in their own homes are accomodating and understanding that most people don't want to come into a smoke filled room or sit in smoke stenched chairs, etc

if you are sitting on top of each other or constantly around each other or confined to a tight space it could be an issue

but overall, to me it's like saying you don't want to be friends with someone because you don't like the cologne they wear

Old 04-09-2013, 01:34 PM

6,226 posts, read 6,821,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post
It's not that they're below me, it's that I find them disgusting. Am I better because I have clean lungs, white teeth, don't smell, never need to take cig breaks at work, or waste money on filth-cancer sticks? Yup, guess I am better! I actually had one of these acquaintances tell me she couldn't hike because she smoked. Gross, unhealthy person.

Thanks for your responses everyone! Helped me realize I respect my friendship standards.
Silly girl. What is more important than whether someone smokes or not but are they your true friends. Human beings that will stand by your side your entire life. I'm 55 and I still have close friends from the 60s. Some smoke, or smoked, some don't, some smoke pot, some hate cigarettes like you, but none of them are phony like you. The question really is would a smoker want you as a friend?

Old 04-09-2013, 01:46 PM

20,385 posts, read 37,689,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I don't agree with that statement.

smoking is really annoying and smells God awful, and to me that "bad" over powers all the good in a person.

i dont care how kind wonderful and generous you are, if you smoke. i dont want to be around you. ever.
I don't care how great you smell. If you're going to be judgmental and write off family because of something like smoking, I don't want to be around you.

See how that works? (In case you missed it, I don't smoke, but some things are just so much worse than smoking that it isn't even a contest.)

Old 04-12-2013, 08:28 AM

1,003 posts, read 1,324,356 times
Quote:
Silly girl. What is more important than whether someone smokes or not but are they your true friends. Human beings that will stand by your side your entire life. I'm 55 and I still have close friends from the 60s. Some smoke, or smoked, some don't, some smoke pot, some hate cigarettes like you, but none of them are phony like you. The question really is would a smoker want you as a friend?
Actually the last two cigarette smokers who I divorced as friends, were not true friends at all. Both of them admitted they were lazy slobs. The one was continually asking me to buy things for her and she never paid me back. The other was a psycho emo vampire who needed a psychotherapist. So, my theory about cig smokers still stand. Silly, I'm not being phony. I'm being quite real and stating what I find repulsive. So, if you're a smoker, you're repulsive! Happy lung cancer to you!

Old 04-12-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
I just refused furniture from someone because it was smoke drenched. You can never get rid of the smell. What someone does to their health is their choice and not for me to judge.
You are as the friends you keep.

Birds of a feather...

Old 04-12-2013, 08:31 AM

It Is Better To Be Alone than In the Wrong Company
Tell me who your best friends are and I will tell you who you are.
If you run with wolves, you will learn how to howl.
But if you associate with eagles, you will learn how to soar to great heights.
A mirror reflects a man’s face, but what he is really like is shown by the kind of friends he chooses.
The simple but true fact of life is that you become like those with whom you closely associate for the good and the bad.
The less you associate with some people, the more your life will improve.
Any time you tolerate mediocrity in others, it increases your mediocrity.
An important attribute in successful people is their impatience with negative thinking and negative acting people.
As you grow, your associates will change.
Some of your friends will not want you to go on. They will want you to stay where they are.
Friends that don’t help you climb will want you to crawl.
Your friends will stretch your vision, not choke your dream.
Those that don’t increase you will eventually decrease you.

Consider This:

Never receive counsel from unproductive people.
Never discuss your problems with someone incapable of contributing to the solution, because those who never succeed themselves are always first to tell you how.
Not everyone has a right to speak into your life.
You are certain to get the worst of the bargain when you exchange ideas with the wrong person.
Don’t follow anyone who’s not going anywhere.
With some people you spend an evening: with others you invest it.
Be careful where you stop to inquire for directions along the road of life.
Wise is the person who fortifies his life with the right friendships.
Choose to rise…

Old 04-12-2013, 11:21 AM

3,695 posts, read 4,074,553 times
Wow, you really seem to have all the answers wrapped up in a pretty little box. I surely hope that you don't end up liking someone before you get to know every detail about them...afterall, how will YOU look? That does seem to be your top priority...how YOU come across.

People surprise me all the time. I end up liking people I didn't think I would all the time. It's because I give them a chance. Happy Freaking Lung Cancer???? Are you serious??? Seriously, that is a HORRIBLE thing to say and/or wish on anyone. If I were to say "I don't like your thought process, hope you get Alzheimers" would you think I was a snob? Good grief, feel free to choose your friends wisely, but my suggestion would be to cut out the judgements and tone down your crappy attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships