U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 08:24 PM

2,575 posts, read 4,671,624 times

Advertisements

This made me chuckle because when I was in graduate school, I had a deaf student in one of my laboratory sections. Her interpreter couldn't always make it to class, so I learned about 300 signs so I could answer her questions and explain the lab assignment to her. After the course ended, we remained friends, and since I liked foreign films, we used to go to the local art theater where we BOTH had to read the subtitles for different reasons.

Well, one day we stopped in at a grocery store for some snacks after the movie, and we were standing in an aisle when three young men about our age walked past. They saw us signing and started making suggestive, rude comments about us. I turned my head and said, loudly, "Hey! ONE of us can HEAR!" Boy, were they embarrassed.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:38 PM

12,544 posts, read 12,458,665 times
The thing the irate customer should have done was tell management, not because the people were speaking Spanish, but because of why they were speaking Spanish and how. They did so in a situation where they knew what they were saying would have gotten them reprimanded under the circumstances, so they hid behind their language.

I'm pretty progressive, but when dealing with, or talking about, English-speaking customers in an English-speaking place of business, employees should do so in English.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:55 PM

749 posts, read 749,754 times
Since the issue here is related only to Spanish- Speaking people, I will say get used to it. With close to 25 countries that speak the language represented here in the USA, it is not going to go AWAY!!!!!!

Mexico, alone, as of 2008, had 109,955,400 residents, and that is only one country!!!!

Old 03-31-2013, 03:25 AM

12,544 posts, read 12,458,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittheroadjack View Post
Since the issue here is related only to Spanish- Speaking people, I will say get used to it. With close to 25 countries that speak the language represented here in the USA, it is not going to go AWAY!!!!!!

Mexico, alone, as of 2008, had 109,955,400 residents, and that is only one country!!!!
Actually, not it's not related only to Spanish-speaking people. It has to do with people using one language to say things they know they are not supposed to say in another. It wouldn't matter if it's Spanish, French, Italian, or Urdu.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:56 AM

12,551 posts, read 13,976,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well -- these people come here because they adore the easy money and government handouts but that's where their appreciation of this country ends. They have zero interest in learning anything about this country or it's culture, the money is what they care about, and they don't want to move to Spanish speaking nations because they'd have no money and have to beg on sidewalks if they want to eat....
A cashier and a waitress, they are employed.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinivedivichi View Post
Ever care to think about why Americans don't speak more languages? I think being nested between two oceans with thousands of miles of land leads to a fairly homogeneous culture. So, unlike Europeans, we are not exposed to various languages on a daily basis which means there's really no need for Americans to learn other languages. Your post says a lot more about you than this country.
But when Americans move to a country to work or live where the language is not English, they should learn the local language and speak it. And very often they refuse too.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
The thing the irate customer should have done was tell management, not because the people were speaking Spanish, but because of why they were speaking Spanish and how. They did so in a situation where they knew what they were saying would have gotten them reprimanded under the circumstances, so they hid behind their language.

I'm pretty progressive, but when dealing with, or talking about, English-speaking customers in an English-speaking place of business, employees should do so in English.
Read the rant again. The ranter clearly did not have a bill, she told the cashier what she had. The cashier checked with the waitress...absolutely nothing wrong with that.

The ranter's knowlege of Spanish seems dubious to me, and whether she was being accused of being dishonest is not a fact, only an assertion by someone who once took Spanish in high school.

The ranter has a giant hair across her heinie, so she needs to take her business and her sensitivity to another joint.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:33 AM

1,000 posts, read 926,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
The way I see it is that if three people are having a conversation and suddenly two of them start whispering or speaking so the third doesn't understand, that's rude. That's just how I grew up - you don't exclude someone from the conversation.

Frankly, I don't want to know other people's business. All I was saying was that if you have something to discuss, then discuss it at a different time. Or excuse yourself from the conversation and have a chat elsewhere. There is no reason to be rude.

You may not find it rude, but I do. You may also eat peanut butter and ketchup, but I wouldn't.
They are not talking to me, obviously so i couldn't care less.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:43 AM

2,474 posts, read 2,511,882 times
I remembered a neighbor I had three years ago. Her family has been in what is now the U.S. for much longer than this country has existed. They speak Spanish. So I am not sure where they should go.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:50 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,157,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
This made me chuckle because when I was in graduate school, I had a deaf student in one of my laboratory sections. Her interpreter couldn't always make it to class, so I learned about 300 signs so I could answer her questions and explain the lab assignment to her. After the course ended, we remained friends, and since I liked foreign films, we used to go to the local art theater where we BOTH had to read the subtitles for different reasons.

Well, one day we stopped in at a grocery store for some snacks after the movie, and we were standing in an aisle when three young men about our age walked past. They saw us signing and started making suggestive, rude comments about us. I turned my head and said, loudly, "Hey! ONE of us can HEAR!" Boy, were they embarrassed.
LOL love that story, wish I could've seen it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships