U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 03:08 PM

4,453 posts, read 3,730,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriceP View Post
i see... never heard of it.

What about first amendment rights? If you do not agree with the way employees speak or the language they speak, then do not buy there. Stop going to those places. People have the right to say whatever they want. In any language they want. It is not like against the law.

It really does not bother me... The world has bigger problems, this whole thing seems just petty.
Although it may seem petty to you it really boils down to an all encompassing resentment that better manners and good graces are not being practiced by 1) an employee in a business whose job it is to be well versed in a minimum of customer service, 2) as I understood the OP (rant), it seemed apparent that the customer understood enough Spanish to ascertain that the cashier was basically questioning his/her honesty/integrity...and in a subversive manner believing that speaking in Spanish was her idea of a covert operation.

Yes, there are certainly bigger fish to fry in this big old world of ours but that's why we have forums...so that we can publicly (and anonymously) air our grievances. No harm, no foul.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Old 03-31-2013, 04:26 PM

1,000 posts, read 926,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
Although it may seem petty to you it really boils down to an all encompassing resentment that better manners and good graces are not being practiced by 1) an employee in a business whose job it is to be well versed in a minimum of customer service, 2) as I understood the OP (rant), it seemed apparent that the customer understood enough Spanish to ascertain that the cashier was basically questioning his/her honesty/integrity...and in a subversive manner believing that speaking in Spanish was her idea of a covert operation.

Yes, there are certainly bigger fish to fry in this big old world of ours but that's why we have forums...so that we can publicly (and anonymously) air our grievances. No harm, no foul.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...
To me this is so petty, so what a waitress and a cashier wanted to clarify a check. Big deal.

The world has so many bigger issues.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:48 PM

119 posts, read 206,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Official or not it's the de-facto language, and I think talking about someone in another language in their presence is low-class at best.

its low class if its Spanish but sophisticated if its French, I bet.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:49 PM

We are talking about cashiers here, not our personal Doctors or Accountants here. What do you expect? I'm surprised when cashiers aren't speaking to each other in multiple languages.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:58 PM

136 posts, read 185,381 times
Just got back from my favorite Mexican restaurant. As I was waiting for my order I overheard the servers speaking Spanish amongst themselves. It doesn't bother me.

I've encountered more rudeness from apparent american English speakers.

You can keep fooling yourselves into thinking the solution is to "send them back" where they came from (history... When will we learn?) but that's not going to happen. Best way is to streamline immigration to get recent immigrants legally participating in society. They are no more taking local jobs than Chinese are taking manufacturing jobs. Other Americans are giving them jobs.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:21 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,759,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
I speak two languages. I know others who speak several. For some of those, English is not their first language.

All of us, and especially the ones who have language besides English as their primary, are careful to never, ever exclude anyone at anytime by speaking a language that even one person may not understand. It is rude to exclude others. IF we are in a situation needing to communicate with someone who only speaks one language that will not be understood by those around us, we self interpret. It is the polite thing to do.

This holds true in any country.
I don't really agree with this.
I work in Europe.
Our work language is English.

My staff asked if it were ok to speak in the European language among themselves.
I don't care.
I'm not that insecure to think that I need to be included in all conversations.

It's difficult to talk and think in another language all day.
A little respite is welcomed.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:28 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,759,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinivedivichi View Post
Ever care to think about why Americans don't speak more languages? I think being nested between two oceans with thousands of miles of land leads to a fairly homogeneous culture. So, unlike Europeans, we are not exposed to various languages on a daily basis which means there's really no need for Americans to learn other languages. Your post says a lot more about you than this country.
That's only part of it.
Every school in the US offers language classes.
The entire south of the US hears Spanish spoken so your comment is ridiculous.

The US is lazy, they feel they're better than and don't need to learn no stinkin' language.

I learned French in school; I speak some German, Thai, Spanish (because I lived in San Diego), etc.

Your post says that you embrace US exceptionalism.
It's not becoming.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:39 AM

1,000 posts, read 926,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micio View Post
its low class if its Spanish but sophisticated if its French, I bet.
It is sophisticated in any other language that is not spanish. k

Old 04-01-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriceP View Post
It is sophisticated in any other language that is not spanish. k

In 15-20 years it will reveal someones unsophistication if they do not know a little Spanish.

Not just with immigrants coming here but we are doing a lot of commerce w/Latin America and economies down there are getting stronger. Many jobs already require fluency and not for speaking with immigrants but for doing international business.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:54 AM

8,737 posts, read 12,123,184 times
It's definitely rude because they spoke about the customer thinking they didn't understand. Obviously that's why they did it.

To do it for other reasons is ok if one of the others does not speak English.

It can be considered rude regardless with a non-speaker of that language present.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships