Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 03:09 PM

382 posts, read 721,688 times

Advertisements

I feel your pain, OP. We can try to be polite, keep the noise down, clean up after ourselves, etc., and yet we still have to deal with thoughtless people. If I can't avoid them, I try to get philosophical and see the big picture. I figure I've only got a limited amount of time to live on this earth, and if I spend it all fighting idiots, I'll never get anything done!

One thing I've read is that people's brains are really wired differently. This doesn't account for all rude and boorish behavior, obviously, but it sometimes gives me, as a somewhat sensitive person, a little perspective. For example, I can't stand loud noise, crowds, tailgating, etc., but some people honestly don't even notice these things (I think it has to do with serotonin uptake). Combine that biological tendency with poor upbringing, and you've got a formula for the unpleasant environment we find ourselves in.

Unfortunately, I've found I can't always change the environment but I can change my response to that environment, so I try ---sometimes successfully!--- to calmly observe my state of mind before I'm ready to blow up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 03:13 PM

8,052 posts, read 12,769,823 times
I swear if I can ever find a way to manage it I am going to move to some remote area and HOPE the pigs & slobs can't find me....

Old 03-31-2013, 03:23 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp-D-Derp View Post
A change of attitude can work wonders!
Exactly right, DDD! Changing your own attitude, can make others far less annoying.....well, sometimes....okay, on a GOOD DAY! BTW.....it helps if the sun is shining...and it's not too hot.

Wartrace, that's what a friend of ours thought. He bought a huge piece of property .... one side faces a lonely, uninhabited bay. It's 45 acres...his driveway is a full 1.2 miles long. Well....he also has a winter home in Arizona, comes home in the late spring every year and has to haul garbage off of his property, that people have dumped there. This is all in spite of private property/no trespassing signs, a locking "logging road" gate, etc.

Yeah...unfortunately, you can't escape them. Sorry you're so bothered by them. I know, it can be tough sometimes.

Old 03-31-2013, 03:36 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
You left one out

"Texting while walking the street in the pouring down rain"

LOL

Old 03-31-2013, 04:11 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
Riding ATVs and dirt bikes on someone else's posted rural property (which includes a protected stream and wetlands), then whining "We all got along until YOU moved in and spoiled everybody's fun!" when the landowner tells them to leave his private, posted, personal property.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:16 PM
FBJ

Women wearing flip flops in the pouring down rain

Old 03-31-2013, 04:24 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,199,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Women wearing flip flops in the pouring down rain

Because it's somehow okay when men do it?

Be careful. Wouldn't want to sound like you hate women, now.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:27 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Because it's somehow okay when men do it?

Be careful. Wouldn't want to sound like you hate women, now.

Men are not supposed to be wearing flip flops unless they are on the beach. I thought everyone knew that.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:29 PM

427 posts, read 947,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
If someone's being an ass on the road though and endangering me I don't hesitate to honk and make a 'what the hell is wrong with you' gesture if they can see me, lol.
Then you are part of the problem.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:30 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,199,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Men are not supposed to be wearing flip flops unless they are on the beach. I thought everyone knew that.
Flip-flops were originally intended for the beach for everyone, yet both men and women wear them everywhere now. You singling out women is telling, because men everywhere wear flip-flops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships