U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 04:38 PM

2,967 posts, read 4,165,738 times

Advertisements

If you figure out how to ignore them, please let me know. We are surrounded by them.

Yesterday husband and I were in the grocery store trying to find a loaf of bread and a girl walked in front of us wearing the usual appropriate attire of the day...her pajamas in public. Of course they were fluorescent pink flannel pajama bottoms and she was looking for something walking back and forth in front of us 4 times. So much for attempting to ignore them. Soon I will be walking around in public with blinders on to protect my eyes from the constant visual assault of dirty pajamas, bed-hair, butt cracks and muffin tops...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 04:46 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,688,108 times
For npow at elast its not a rpoblm where I lve but I see it when i go to certain ares around me. I just tend to go about my v business and actully avoid such areas whe i can.Hopefuy; they feel teh same about my areas ;avoid it because its not their thing.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:48 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,124,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Flip-flops were originally intended for the beach for everyone, yet both men and women wear them everywhere now. You singling out women is telling, because men everywhere wear flip-flops.

I only seen woman doing it ok? You made it a gender thing not me.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:04 PM

532 posts, read 905,854 times
I feel the same way you do but not about the same things. Religionists, and people who eat meat, hunters and fishermen, and a host of annoyances like that. But your complaints should not surprise you; think Bell Curve and the wide variances of intelligence in human culture. It is predictable, inevitable and unavoidable. You simply have to outwit people (one hopes in a kindly and non-manipulative way), and live the best life you can.

Most people are asleep, "snoring away like drunken rats," to quote Henry Miller. Being awake is painful but it has it's own set of rewards.

Last edited by jtaustin; 03-31-2013 at 05:17 PM..

Old 03-31-2013, 05:30 PM

5,504 posts, read 8,835,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Riding ATVs and dirt bikes on someone else's posted rural property (which includes a protected stream and wetlands), then whining "We all got along until YOU moved in and spoiled everybody's fun!" when the landowner tells them to leave his private, posted, personal property.
I had a neighbor complain that his son wasn't able to ride on my property after I bought it. His compalint- "My son used to ride on that land" I replied "Used to" is right..... He had every opportunity to buy the property but he didn't. Any agreement made with the previous owner was null and void when I took title.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:39 PM

8,004 posts, read 10,007,075 times
^^^...Yep, before we bought our property, many of the local yokels used it as a shortcut to the grocery store. Imagine their surprise when we fenced off the entire property! Imagine their surprise when a screaming banshee flew out of the house, terrifying them, when the fence simply gave them something to climb over...and THEN use our property as their shortcut.

Like you....I don't CARE if it used to be okay. The property changed hands. It is no longer okay! OKAY?! It's a small town. Word got around pretty quickly. I'm pretty laid back about what people do on their own property or in the general public. Come onto MY property and we're talking a whole 'nother scenario. That's when the crazy lady comes out to play.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:42 PM

8,004 posts, read 10,007,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
If you figure out how to ignore them, please let me know. We are surrounded by them.

Yesterday husband and I were in the grocery store trying to find a loaf of bread and a girl walked in front of us wearing the usual appropriate attire of the day...her pajamas in public. Of course they were fluorescent pink flannel pajama bottoms and she was looking for something walking back and forth in front of us 4 times. So much for attempting to ignore them. Soon I will be walking around in public with blinders on to protect my eyes from the constant visual assault of dirty pajamas, bed-hair, butt cracks and muffin tops...
I try so hard not to look, I really do. I find that so distasteful and classless. I just try not to look. Thanks for sharing your butt crack, thong and underwear with the rest of us......N-0-T. Also, thanks for showing everyone that your pants are clearly 2 sizes too small....hence the massive muffin top. Newsflash, you are NOT that size. Pajamas? Well, that just kind of speaks for itself. You don't have to "dress up", but please.....at least change out of your pajamas.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:49 PM

24,671 posts, read 58,131,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Flip-flops were originally intended for the beach for everyone, yet both men and women wear them everywhere now. You singling out women is telling, because men everywhere wear flip-flops.
I can't imagine why anybody would get their knickers in a twist about seeing anyone wearing flip flops whether the sun is shining or the rain's coming down - but of course my perspective is skewed based on where I live, where they're worn by young and old, male and female, year-round. Even the neurologist I went to see the other week was wearing them in his office! Gasp!

Old 03-31-2013, 06:31 PM

47,576 posts, read 60,482,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
^^^...Yep, before we bought our property, many of the local yokels used it as a shortcut to the grocery store. Imagine their surprise when we fenced off the entire property! Imagine their surprise when a screaming banshee flew out of the house, terrifying them, when the fence simply gave them something to climb over...and THEN use our property as their shortcut.

Like you....I don't CARE if it used to be okay. The property changed hands. It is no longer okay! OKAY?! It's a small town. Word got around pretty quickly. I'm pretty laid back about what people do on their own property or in the general public. Come onto MY property and we're talking a whole 'nother scenario. That's when the crazy lady comes out to play.
Oh now that's something that really steams me up. I have property and I don't care at all if people cross it riding horses but I really cannot stand the arrogance of those on loud dirt bikes and ATV's who believe they are not required to ask permission and can trespass however they wish. They go roaring through my property and stir up all kinds of dust. It makes me want to get a single strand of barbed wire -- about where their necks are but to be kind, I'll put a couple of no trespassing signs up before it. I don't want to hurt the horses though, they're not loud and obnoxious.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:21 PM

10,366 posts, read 8,363,565 times
As I was having my (free) breakfast in a nice hotel in a major Southern city last weekend, a group of young women entered the breakfast area - every one of them had messy hair, what looked like unwashed faces, and was wearing her flannel pajama bottoms and a hoody. I think flipflops may have also been part of their attire. It was unseasonably cold and raining outside. They were chatty and loud and not especially considerate towards their fellow hotel guests - chairs were pulled out into aisleways, there were no "excuse mes" when they pushed past others to get refills, etc.

Meanwhile, a family with FIVE small boys entered the breakfast area, each child neatly dressed in an identical blue shirt and a red tie (this was Sunday morning - evidently they were heading to church later) matching those of their father. Their ages ranged from approximately seven down to a baby - stairsteps. Those little guys drew lots of glances, but were the best behaved children I've encountered in a very long time. Clearly, their parents had taught them to talk freely, but to use quiet voices. The older little boys helped the younger ones, they didn't interrupt, didn't run around, ate neatly and without complaining that they wanted doughnuts when their dad had given them cereal - just very well-behaved little boys who were delightful to be around.

The contrast was startling.

When I checked out, the same group of young women and one woman who appeared to be around fifty who was with them were also checking out. The girls were loudly talking about hitting the honky-tonks the previous night, drinking heavily, and being carded. They were still in their pajama bottoms and hoodies, ready to hit the road. Their chaperone? parent? coach? seemed quite lacking in concern, though I am not sure what she might have done differently. Who knows, maybe she'd gotten drunk while honky-tonkin' too.

Now, I know young people like to test the boundaries and do whatever is considered edgy by their elders. But it wasn't a pretty sight. Or sound.

Just wondering: when summer arrives, are young women going to be wearing baby doll pajamas in public??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or