Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 08:51 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times

Advertisements

I don't think he's being rude at all. He is, after all, calling you by your very real and very legal name. Many people have been raised to believe that the use of first names is inappropriate in certain relationships, for various reasons. Expecting him to alter his ingrained beliefs is where the rudeness lies. I suppose the only way you will be both be satisfied is if he simply doesn't call you anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 08:53 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
Maybe he's not in love with you and it's his way of keeping the distance.
Heh...I was thinking the same thing.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:26 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I don't think he's being rude at all. He is, after all, calling you by your very real and very legal name. Many people have been raised to believe that the use of first names is inappropriate in certain relationships, for various reasons. Expecting him to alter his ingrained beliefs is where the rudeness lies. I suppose the only way you will be both be satisfied is if he simply doesn't call you anything.
^ ^ ^Agree

There are definitely people in my life who call me MRS. Anifani b/c it is a sign of respect. Employees, students . . . I don't understand why someone would consider this rude. Even if I say - feel free to call me Ani - that doesn't mean the other person DOES feel free to address me by my first name.

I cannot imagine why anyone would find this RUDE regardless of what setting it is in - formal or informal, business or away from a business setting. I continue to call professors Dr. So-and-So even though they have retired and I am older than they were when they taught me. I have had some of them say - "feel free to address me as John" but sorry - I will always think of those folks as Dr. So-and So - even if we are members of the same club, or see each other at a football game.

You are older than this young man so . . . the whole thing about "making you feel old" is silly. That is your hang up - just as this whole "Mrs." thing is your hang up.

I can't believe you are making an issue out of someone showing respect.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:10 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaustin View Post
No, the bottom line is I asked somebody not to do something and they refuse. Their refusal is socially awkward and infantalizes them.
Why is it them and not you who is being socially awkward?

Old 04-01-2013, 04:59 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
If you are in love with this person, why is this thread in the Non-Romantic Relationship forum?

Old 04-01-2013, 08:23 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
I still think you should let this go. If the others laugh, they laugh. Its no skin off your nose.

I am perplexed why this is a problem for you.

I don't like being called Mrs. Xxxx either, but I can't make people do something they don't feel inclined to do. Its best to chill on this. This is one of these things you cannot change.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:48 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,216,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Here's what you wrote in your OP:

You have an adult student = formal, student/teacher relationship, or as you are now saying, coaching.
You didn't call this person a peer.
Also a colleague = less formal, where everyone is on a first name basis.

You're mad because the person treats you formally in a formal relationship.

Try to be clear in your requests and presentation.
We can only go by what you write.
Yes, agreed. This is what you wrote, OP. I agree with the majority based on the info you've provided.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:58 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Perhaps he feels that you like him romantically, and wants to be clear that he does not view you that way.

Oops.... just saw others already floated the same idea.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-02-2013, 02:27 PM

532 posts, read 1,068,852 times
Perhaps he likes me romantically and has been in love with me for 10 years; that's what he told me.

>> I am perplexed why this is a problem for you.

You obviously have never played in a rock band.

I find these forums, of all kinds, *USENET*, etc., to promote responses based on anonymity, insensitive and, in one way, sort of cowardly. As everyone knows, people say things they would never say to your face (they can deny it, but that doesn't matter).

PeaceAndLove, guys; life is too short. Good luck with your lives; all happiness and success.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:13 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Why do YOU think he does it, OP?

You never asked US why. You only asked if we thought it was rude.

So why do you really think he's doing it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships