U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 12:49 PM

237 posts, read 1,005,194 times

Advertisements

Have you noticed how few people now a days seem to have good social skills. There is alot of talk about how isolated the average person is now days and how many of us are communicating only via instant messaging, email, Internet chat boards or in a work setting where conversations are scripted. The act of face to face conversation where we look at each other in the eye and discuss our interests and dreams seems to be gone. I notice many people are together but talking to someone else on the phone or instant messaging on the cell phone.

Has the elimination of face to face conversation had an impact on your personal relationships?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 01:54 PM

25,165 posts, read 46,570,780 times
Yes I agree most people I know have TERRIBLE communication skills.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:35 PM
sun

683 posts, read 1,913,335 times
Quote:
The act of face to face conversation where we look at each other in the eye and discuss our interests and dreams seems to be gone.
I don't necessarily agree that face to face conversation has been eliminated. Kids socialize in school all day long. And most people that are adults today learned how to communicate face to face well before they even started to use the internet.
There have always been people who aren't socially conversational, and there always will be. I suppose that more people are becoming less conversant, but then it hasn't impacted any of my personal relationships. Maybe that's because I'm middle aged, and I belong to clubs and have social activities & sports interests where face to face conversation is the normal mode of communication.
Some people are home bodies, but I don't think that means that they can't hold a conversation. Many people are more articulate now days, but need better writing, spelling & grammar skills which the internet actually helps them to develop.
Since I've started writing more on the internet (which I haven't written much at all since college), I've regained some previously lost writing skills, and I'm sure that has had a beneficial impact on my conversation skills as well.
I really feel that organized communication leads to better organized speaking too. So I'm not pesimistic about whether or not modern society is fostering the loss of the art of conversation.
When people stay at home or on the internet and don't get out much, they may actually feel more of a need to converse than they would have otherwise to make up for their lack of face to face contact in their social life. So the end effect may be quite the opposite of what you're suggesting, at least for some of those people who are not afraid of engaging in conversation to begin with.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:58 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,108,879 times
And for the past 1 1/2 years, I thought it was just Texans, LOL.......

Yes I have noticed the lack of social skills, mainly here though. In Miami socializing, casual conversation wasn't a problem, except with the younger generation. Savannah definitely it was not an issue. Here in TX, it has been, both with the older and younger generation.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:26 PM

9,361 posts, read 22,025,266 times
I am eating peanut butter off of a butter knife right now. If I was with you all in RL, I would never do that!

Old 10-29-2007, 12:55 AM

1,252 posts, read 2,286,147 times
Social skills are waning, I'm afraid. Table manners, too. Out where I am the homeless have even stopped using coasters and some of them seem to have an inordinate amount of trouble identifying a simple shrimp fork. And don't expect them to know which side the bread plate is on. By the way, you can pretty much forget about suggesting doilies to them.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:22 AM

18,435 posts, read 27,907,236 times
I think people are speaking in the work place...but do they all know how to treat one another...No

Old 10-29-2007, 04:33 AM

8,860 posts, read 8,370,345 times
Default Substance of Conversations....

Not only face-to-face communication is lacking in substance, so are e-mails. Most e-mails are items that are Fwd; Fwd; Fwd; Fwd...and a lot of the stuff is made up (heartbleed stories) or those ridiculous chain-mails (forward this in 5 seconds and your life will improve! stuff)..but as far as actual communication in an e-mail, it too is on the wane.

Face-to-face communication is mostly surface talk and it is true that the social graces are definitely lacking. And people constantly interrupting each other is definitely on the rise.

I find that most conversations are based on who is the best at "whatever", who has the most expensive "whatever", who ate at the best restaurant, who went on the best vacation, who went to the best concert, and on and on. If you try to interject a subject that would require some deep thinking about their feelings, current events and/or about their beliefs, you will usually get the deer-in-the-headlights.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:38 AM

1,894 posts, read 3,970,819 times
I absolutely LOVE good conversation!
I guess it's why I love meeting new people.

There are people who meet just to talk, unfortunately, no where near me........love to do this:

Conversationcafe.org | National (broken link)

Wish we still lived in Tucson, and I could!

Old 10-29-2007, 08:43 AM

14,619 posts, read 15,436,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
I am eating peanut butter off of a butter knife right now. If I was with you all in RL, I would never do that!
LOL--they won't let me rep you again. But depending on where you were, that's not necessarily a bad social skill! You'd be welcome anytime to sit at my dining table and eat peanut butter off a knife while we discussed important world issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or