U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 06:34 PM

1 posts, read 11,452 times

Advertisements

This customer service guy that was talking to me kept staring into my eyes and I kept staring into his green eyes, but I couldn't take it anymore and I had to break my eye contact and look away because he was making me nervous. It was really weird like when he was talking he didn't blink once. So does that mean anything? Do you stare into people eyes when you talk to them? I always do, but I noticed people always look away because I think my eyes are really intense or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 08:25 PM

832 posts, read 1,377,527 times
I don't think people in the USA (you are living in the USA, right?) are used to prolonged eye contact. Most of us see it as intimidating, perverted, etc. Whether that's right or wrong to say about the individual, that's what many people think. OTOH some people prefer eye contact throughout almost the whole conversation because it indicates honesty. In some other cultures what we consider "staring" is acceptable (whether in conversation or not) and in others eye contact with certain people is disrespectful. As for me, I look into other people's eyes or face while they're talking to me, but when I start responding I usually switch between eye contact and looking off because sometimes I can't get my thoughts out if I'm looking at someone's face reacting to my words. With some people I look into their mouths while they speak, rather than eyes, if I might have trouble understanding their accent. In that case those people get self-conscious because they think I'm staring at their bad teeth or whatever.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:28 PM

2,967 posts, read 4,183,209 times
Quote:
When you are talking to someone, do you keep staring in their eyes?
Only if I am eating a banana.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:33 PM

7,495 posts, read 9,752,153 times
My eyes shift a lot. I'll try to keep my eyes on their face at least, but my eyes definitely shift a lot.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:48 PM

16,482 posts, read 21,070,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccc View Post
This customer service guy that was talking to me kept staring into my eyes and I kept staring into his green eyes, but I couldn't take it anymore and I had to break my eye contact and look away because he was making me nervous. It was really weird like when he was talking he didn't blink once. So does that mean anything? Do you stare into people eyes when you talk to them? I always do, but I noticed people always look away because I think my eyes are really intense or something.
If I had someone staring into my eyes constantly it would make me uncomfortable and I would keep looking away.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:41 AM

12,324 posts, read 13,561,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccc View Post
Eye contact is good up to a point where you are making people uncomfortable.

The fact that you know what color his eyes were makes me think you like him.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:33 PM

6,063 posts, read 9,520,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Eye contact is good up to a point where you are making people uncomfortable.

The fact that you know what color his eyes were makes me think you like him.
Heh! I wondered about that, too.

OP, you mentioned that he kept staring into your eyes. But, apparently you also kept staring into his eyes. Maybe he just figured, since you keep eye contact and you're the customer, that he should take his cue from your behavior?

Old 04-08-2013, 07:13 PM

212 posts, read 551,722 times
I always make eye contact to show that I am paying attention and that I am listening , however I do not hold eye contact the ENTIRE time. I do look just to the side of the person's face but only briefly and only for short moments at a time. To me making eye contact is respectful, just not creepy staring !!

Old 04-08-2013, 08:46 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,344,192 times
During a conversation people usually maintain eye contact perhaps 50% of the time. When listening there are usually breaks in the contact, and while we are thinking we tend to look away more.

Old 11-28-2014, 09:30 PM

78 posts, read 50,686 times
I used to know someone who would immediately stare into my eyes whenever I started talking. Bugged me. Yes, look people in the eye when you communicate but don't stare them down like a robot. There's a way to do it without freezing your line of sight right into their eyes while they talk. It's weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships