Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 03:27 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,349,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by readyjack View Post
You do not have a Muslim friend who is an atheist. You have a Muslim friend who is "a theist", or a friend who is atheist. I know what you are saying practically, but arab=/=muslim.
I've heard of cultural Hindus, cultural Jews, and cultural Christians. These are people with relatives of the aforementioned religions, or who feel ties to those religions, and may follow some traditions that stem from those religions...but who do not believe those religions to be true.

Maybe the poster meant cultural Muslim? I don't know how someone could not believe in God and be a Muslim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 05:40 PM

867 posts, read 1,587,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readyjack View Post
If the fat guy grosses you out then do not force yourself to befriend that guy, just don't be mean. I have noticed that as I learn and experience more, I am more accepting of others. I live in the South and I have "liberal" ideals. Most of my closest friends except my wife are "CONSERVATIVE!". Not intelligent conservatives, but Fox news conservatives. I understand why they think the way they think. It helps.

ReadyJack, you sound like me. I am a Northern transplant living in the conservative, Fox news watching South. If these people knew that I am pro-choice, religious freedom, they would never speak to me again. I know this because when I was on FB and liked something supporting same sex marriage, all the religious people pounced on me. I've gone off FB.

On the side, it's hard for me to not judge them for being so judgement about my beliefs, usually they state something about religion as for their reasons of believing something is wrong.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:43 PM

I realize that variety is the spice of life, and we all come from different paths, yada yada yada, however my intent is to learn NOT to judge people who are different from me and then I would be happier with myself.

When I run across someone who is super conservative, a part of me wants to scream that I"m pro-choice and very liberal. Then I silence that scream but I feel fake.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:04 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
I've heard of cultural Hindus, cultural Jews, and cultural Christians. These are people with relatives of the aforementioned religions, or who feel ties to those religions, and may follow some traditions that stem from those religions...but who do not believe those religions to be true.

Maybe the poster meant cultural Muslim? I don't know how someone could not believe in God and be a Muslim.
Yes, this may be closer to what my friend is. She was raised a Muslim, practiced a Muslim faith, and even had an arranged marriage but has never believed in God. She told me that religion was invented as a form of control over people. Her views were quite radical and I'm sure she had to keep them to herself growing up or fear being executed for her beliefs. I think we take freedom of speech for granted as a given right. In some places one way is the only way. I have a friend that was captured by the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia. There's a fascinating story there. Being open to different cultures and ethnic groups has made my life infinitely richer. I also have a very dear friend from Belize. I love her like a sister, and found her childhood stories growing up there fascinating. Another dear friend is Philipino and we would spend a lot of holidays with her and her family. We were the only white people there except for one BIL. I can't tell you how much fun that used to be and OMG the food. Life is boring if everyone is the same.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:12 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
If you get a chance to become friends with someone not like you, then take the opportunity. You will soon enough find that he/she is a lot like you, that you have points of contact with that person you did not imagine.

So, instead of avoiding people who look different, or who have different backgrounds or religions, or who come from another country, force yourself to interact respectfully with them. Avoid questions like, "why do you people do such and such," though.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:29 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,719,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygirl15 View Post
I realize that variety is the spice of life, and we all come from different paths, yada yada yada, however my intent is to learn NOT to judge people who are different from me and then I would be happier with myself.

When I run across someone who is super conservative, a part of me wants to scream that I"m pro-choice and very liberal. Then I silence that scream but I feel fake.
Luckygirl, please just try to shut down your immediate, negative response to these people who are different from you. By that, I mean....just be conscious of that physical feeling that comes over you, the one that causes your adrenaline to get your heart going. LOL Ask yourself, "Why do I even CARE? Are they doing anything to actually HURT me?" Tell yourself, EVERY time...."So WHAT?" Then make sure to laugh at yourself for allowing others to cause such a stir in you.

I'm sorry that you heard those terrible things when you were growing up. Sadly, the very people who were telling you you were worthless and never going to amount to anything, were told the SAME things when they were growing up. They lacked the words and self-restraint, to cope with issues, so they used the same lines they had used on them, in order to deal with you. Clearly, they felt like anyone who didn't think, feel or behave the way they wanted them to, were worthless. Sound familiar? LOL

Luckygirl....been there, done that. I came from the same type of people and OMG...it's hard to break that cycle!!!! All you can do is IMMEDIATELY tell yourself, "STOP it! They're NOT worthless. They are who they are and they are just FINE for THEM! It is none of my business....who they are or are not and it doesn't effect who I am or am not."

When I used to get those feelings (and STILL, on occasion), I will tell myself to stop being such a damn passive/aggressive bully! It's kind of like slapping the self-righteousness out of YOU. LOL

Old 04-11-2013, 06:31 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,719,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
If you get a chance to become friends with someone not like you, then take the opportunity. You will soon enough find that he/she is a lot like you, that you have points of contact with that person you did not imagine.

So, instead of avoiding people who look different, or who have different backgrounds or religions, or who come from another country, force yourself to interact respectfully with them. Avoid questions like, "why do you people do such and such," though.

Ahhhh, but the opposite also rings true. More often than not, I have become friends with people whom I thought were like me, only to get to know them better and realize that I was only seeing what I wanted to see. After getting to know them better, I realized that they were only "like me" a little bit.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:42 PM

I don't think anyone actually understood my question.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:16 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
My EX-wife's favorite saying was, "If everyone was like me the world would be perfect".

I'm a conservative middle of the road guy, but have friends who are out there wacko liberals, friends who are of every race and religion, friends who are so right wing Rush Limbaugh would be embarrassed to be with them, friends who are dirt poor and friends who are Hollywood celebrities and so wealthy they could buy a small country, but we all have really interesting discussions and it's both good and fun to talk to someone with different views on life.

Gosh, to be more accepting of others, just be. You're not going to change anyone, and after all, isn't our differences what makes us great, and worth knowing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships