Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 07:40 PM

867 posts, read 1,588,171 times

Advertisements

After growing up in the North, and then moving to the South a few years ago, I've finally come to the conclusion that I'm not very accepting of people who are different than me.

In the South, I'm exposed to a mixture of people, and I"m really struggling to find a way to accept people.

Truth be told, I had a hard time up North too. I think that if someone is different from me, when I am interacting with them, all I can think about is how different they are.

I would like some serious advice on how to be a better person and to be more accepting of all types of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 07:54 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Treat other people the way you'd want them to treat you.

If you wouldn't want to be judged, don't judge others. Understand that everyone has their issues, and you never know what issues someone has JUST dealt with when you cross their path.

"Different" does not always mean "worse."

Old 04-07-2013, 07:59 PM

11,369 posts, read 9,282,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygirl15 View Post
After growing up in the North, and then moving to the South a few years ago, I've finally come to the conclusion that I'm not very accepting of people who are different than me.

In the South, I'm exposed to a mixture of people, and I"m really struggling to find a way to accept people.

Truth be told, I had a hard time up North too. I think that if someone is different from me, when I am interacting with them, all I can think about is how different they are.

I would like some serious advice on how to be a better person and to be more accepting of all types of people.
If you are not happy the way you are then change. I think we need a bit more information because I don't quite understand why you are asking "how to be a better person." Myself, if people don't accept my personality then tough. They're loss. Everyone is different. I know I'm a great person and will be a good friend. You are either accepted by others or you're not.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:01 PM

11,369 posts, read 9,282,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

If you wouldn't want to be judged, don't judge others. Understand that everyone has their issues, and you never know what issues someone has JUST dealt with when you cross their path.

Often that doesn't work.

I can't recall the amout of times I have been stabbed in the back by ex-coworkers. People can often be very mean regardless on how well you treat them.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:05 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,159,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

This.
It might sound a bit lightweight but read it more than once...very sound advice.

Are you saying you don't have much experience in dealing with people outside of your comfort zone? That is sort of how I read your OP...again this may seem like trite advice but working or volunteering with folks you deem "different" from you could be amazingly valuable and eye-opening.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:19 PM

867 posts, read 1,588,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
This.
It might sound a bit lightweight but read it more than once...very sound advice.

Are you saying you don't have much experience in dealing with people outside of your comfort zone? That is sort of how I read your OP...again this may seem like trite advice but working or volunteering with folks you deem "different" from you could be amazingly valuable and eye-opening.
No, people can be in my comfort zone and I still judge them. I know this all sounds so crazy.

Here are 1 instance:

1) I work with a guy who is obese, chews tobacco, has a thick southern accent, and every time he talks, I just cringe. I don't mind southern accents but the other 2 things, mostly the chewing tobacco, makes me ill and I actually think less of him for doing this.

Also, I grew up in a family that constantly judged me and told me I was basically "worthless". I know that my judging others probably stems from this treatment, however how does one change? Can one change?

Old 04-07-2013, 08:23 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
This.

Volunteer with the people that need help either because English is not their first language, or with folks that need to learn to read.

You might also choose other volunteer opportunities. Abused women's shelter, take a course or two at a local college, work at a food pantry, or a kitchen at a local shelter. I've listed a few links for the first suggestions.

It speaks volumes that you are self-aware and caring enough to want to improve yourself. Please keep us posted with your experiences. Good luck

Reading is Fundamental:Reading Is Fundamental
Literacy Volunteers of America:Literacy
English as a Second Language Volunteers:english as a second language volunteers - Yahoo! News Search Results

Old 04-07-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Often that doesn't work.

I can't recall the amout of times I have been stabbed in the back by ex-coworkers. People can often be very mean regardless on how well you treat them.
Of course, but you have absolutely no control over their behavior. You can only control the way you act.

Besides, you don't treat people well as a way to get treated right. It's not a bargaining attempt. It's a way to put YOUR mind in the right place.

So act right, regardless.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:36 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Quote:
No, people can be in my comfort zone and I still judge them. I know this all sounds so crazy.

Here are 1 instance:

1) I work with a guy who is obese, chews tobacco, has a thick southern accent, and every time he talks, I just cringe. I don't mind southern accents but the other 2 things, mostly the chewing tobacco, makes me ill and I actually think less of him for doing this.

Also, I grew up in a family that constantly judged me and told me I was basically "worthless". I know that my judging others probably stems from this treatment, however how does one change? Can one change?
I think, human nature being what it is, it would be difficult not to cringe a bit with this example, but the challenge is not letting on you are judging him, or anybody else for that matter. Stop, smile (when appropriate), and listen.

When people speak too quickly they tend to run into problems.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:

OK, so this is a good example.

Does this guy have NO redeeming qualities? You don't have to like everyone around you, but spending the workday allowing contempt to build is no good.

Try to imagine what it's like to be around you, from the other person's point of view. You know, walk a mile in the other person's shoes, so to speak. Understand that there may be things about you he finds different also. But you are a person worth knowing, right?

As for the stuff about your childhood, I have to say that is some heavy sh*t to deal with. No child should hear that. Have you talked to a counselor about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships