Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 02:25 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times

Advertisements

[quote=theatergypsy;29044475] ... I have never understood the need for "y'all". You is plural when addressing more than one person ...QUOTE]

The way I've heard it, "y'all" is singular. And "all y'all" is plural.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 02:47 PM

20,382 posts, read 14,656,708 times
In my opinion it is simple common sense to use context, tone, and other clues to ascertain when a person is attempting to be hostile or insulting, and it should be very clear indeed when they are simply trying to be friendly. Regardless of exact specific words used. So to go around just waiting for a chance to get your back up about something that someone used as an obvious attempt at casual friendliness, is snobby and pretentious behavior.

I respect more the way Ani describes the matter as being understood among a certain community of individuals who settled a specific region and share a history. To go into a place not knowing custom, and blunder and make a fool of yourself...well you learn sooner or later, now don't you?

But the English language has over time, and especially as it's been used on different continents, evolved. Many, MANY words no longer mean what their roots meant. And so to say that there is an absolute truth to your understanding of a word, because the root definition is thus or so...that's absurd. Language is a living thing, and it changes over time. I guarantee that there are words that each and every one of us uses in contradiction to their historical meaning. That argument is invalid. The argument regarding regional, historical, and cultural meaning is far more valid.

But regardless of all that, I find my life to be much more positive and enjoyable when I go about not looking for reasons to get offended, ESPECIALLY when it is OBVIOUS that the speaker means no offense. And if I suspected that someone had a whole host of rules I didn't know that would get them all in a huff and a snuff at me for reasons I didn't understand, then I wouldn't invite them to dinner at my house, either.

So you can keep your chitlins and I shall keep my Kraft macaroni and cheese, thankyouverymuch.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:07 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,952,121 times
Regarding "guy" meaning deformed or ugly, I don't think you want to say that about:
My Uncle Guy
Guy Lombardo - Orchestra Leader
Guy LaFleur - Ice Hockey Player
Guy LaRoche - Fashion Designer
Although the last two are pronounced Gee with a hard "G", maybe that's where "Gee-zeers" came from, as in "What can I get for you Geezers?"

Old 04-09-2013, 05:44 PM

12,250 posts, read 2,966,052 times
I think this started when it became unfashionable to call grown women girls.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:58 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,207 times
I recently vacationed in the south and felt very uncomfortable seeing men prance by women exclaiming "Hey sugar how ya doin'?". Then I noticed the women smiled at them and engaged them in friendly conversation, like "hiya darlin'"...I realised it was just a friendly greeting in the south.

In the north, if a man pranced up to you and said that, most women would be taken aback and see it as very aggressive flirting.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:38 PM

830 posts, read 1,728,721 times
To refer to a group of women, I would prefer "you guys". "You ladies" works if the group is made up of elderly women. "Y'all" if the group is Southern. "You people" if you're looking to start an argument

Old 04-10-2013, 12:49 PM

12,250 posts, read 2,966,052 times
A man in his 70s called me "hon" last week. What's tht the British say? Don't get your knickers in a twist. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships