Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 10:31 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Not laying a guilt trip on any of you trashers of reunion invitations, but having served on my high school reunion committee for many decades (oh, lord, that makes me sound ancient), I can say that I and the other committee members work very hard to plan the event(s), keep the price affordable, locate and contact class members, and encourage them to attend. You'd be very surprised to learn just how much effort is involved: we've made many phone calls to try to locate and talk with our class members who may be wavering about attending, written personal notes on the printed invitations, used the class grapevine friend-of-a-friend network, etc., and try to be as friendly and as welcoming as possible to everyone, both before, during, and after the reunion (for those who think Facebook, etc. makes it easier to find people nowadays - think again. We thought that, too, until our last reunion...not so). And that doesn't include any of the financial planning, locating a banquet hall, planning food and drink, planning additional activities, collating information about classmates for a booklet (kind of an update on our yearbook), planning decorations, flowers, and so on. It's a LOT of work. Which I and my other classmates have done gladly.
What amazes me is how much effort some people put into getting former classmates to attend when they wouldn't have given them the time of day back in high school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 08:01 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
What amazes me is how much effort some people put into getting former classmates to attend when they wouldn't have given them the time of day back in high school.
Maybe - but don't count me in that category. I was far from a social butterfly in high school, and very much NOT part of the in crowd. I was shy, but not a snob.

I was a very, very late bloomer and was far more "social" in my thirties than in my teens.

You seem to assume that class reunion planners were all snobs back in high school. Maybe that's the case elsewhere - but not where I am. Our planning committee consists of everyone from former cheerleaders to nerdy types to band and orchestra kids to Merit Scholars and girls/boys next door. Some of us are good friends, others just cordial former classmates.

What do we have in common? We live in or close to our old home town, we each have our own area of expertise that contributes to successful reunions, and we're willing and able to put in the hours. Why? Because we like you...oops, wrong song.

Because we care about reconnecting with those with whom we shared very formative years. Because there's always unfinished business from way back when. Because we're nostalgic. Because we're interested in getting to know the people our classmates have become - high school really isn't a very good indicator.

Because we had a blast at the previous reunions (well, not the tenth, but no one does, really...).

Old 04-30-2013, 10:58 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,020,434 times
After reading all this .. I am really glad I skipped my 10th reunion. I did notify the committee (via FB group) that I didn't plan to attend; I was from MI, living in OH and moving to NC that specific weekend.

HS was miserable for me, I haven't kept in contact with anyone from my class at all - despite having mutual connections on FB (classmates from other classes), and I can't imagine that they've changed enough to make me want to give up my time and money to see them. 6 more years before the 20th.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:50 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,755 times
Smile usually...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintsboy701 View Post
My 5 year reunion is next year. I graduated high school 2009. I didn't enjoy high school due that i was different from rest of my peers. I made good grades in school, but i didn't have anything in common with the students. I was wondering what goes on at a class reunion. I'm on the border line of not going.
its the same as your last day in HS only the Jocks are fat and married w/kids, the Prom Queens are haggard from having to many babies with the Jocks. The only good outcome is usually that the nerds and unpopular kids in HS are now extroverted, successful and hot. They don't usually attend the reunions
because they have better things to do.
Koale

Old 05-01-2013, 12:03 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,755 times
Cool oh please...

Quote:
Maybe - but don't count me in that category. I was far from a social butterfly in high school, and very much NOT part of the in crowd. I was shy, but not a snob.

I was a very, very late bloomer and was far more "social" in my thirties than in my teens.

You seem to assume that class reunion planners were all snobs back in high school. Maybe that's the case elsewhere - but not where I am. Our planning committee consists of everyone from former cheerleaders to nerdy types to band and orchestra kids to Merit Scholars and girls/boys next door. Some of us are good friends, others just cordial former classmates.

What do we have in common? We live in or close to our old home town, we each have our own area of expertise that contributes to successful reunions, and we're willing and able to put in the hours. Why? Because we like you...oops, wrong song.

Because we care about reconnecting with those with whom we shared very formative years. Because there's always unfinished business from way back when. Because we're nostalgic. Because we're interested in getting to know the people our classmates have become - high school really isn't a very good indicator.

Because we had a blast at the previous reunions (well, not the tenth, but no one does, really...).
gag...
k

Old 05-30-2014, 10:41 AM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times
Quote:

None of these things can be accomplished outside of a reunion held every 5-10 years?

Old 08-30-2014, 07:14 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,631,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintsboy701 View Post
My 5 year reunion is next year. I graduated high school 2009. I didn't enjoy high school due that i was different from rest of my peers. I made good grades in school, but i didn't have anything in common with the students. I was wondering what goes on at a class reunion. I'm on the border line of not going.
I graduated in 2009 too. We just had a 5 year reunion. I didn't go. I noticed the kids that were star athletes and always picked for Prom and Homecoming and all that are the ones that go to reunions. It's funny though, I'm only 23 and several guys are already going bald, some of the girls have multiple children, and some are living mediocre lives working minimum wage jobs. I found this out through Facebook. That's another reason reunions are kind of silly now.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:06 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,817,498 times
Quote:

Whatever makes you happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
gag...
k
Isn't that the truth.

Old 09-01-2014, 04:52 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
Why would anyone want to put theirselves through that horror of seeing the same snotty people only older ? high school was an indication of what kind of people they have turned into . I went to the first reunion and will never go back because they are the same snotty people and they sat there at the table and all they did was talk about everybody and how they are sooooooooooooo poor now and don't have a dime to their name . It was horrendous and I left after 10 minutes of hearing this .don't bother going people don't change that much .

Old 09-02-2014, 12:53 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
[quote=Saintsboy701;29037029] Old thread.

Wonder if he went, after all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships