Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 09:39 PM

48 posts, read 190,911 times

Advertisements

It seems like everybody has a different definition of the word friend. Everybody has different expectations of what they want in a friend. My definition is somebody that you can trust. Somebody that that always has your back through tough times. Well, those of some of the basic concepts of a friend. Whats your definition of a friend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 10:11 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,977,501 times
I think people in general have more acquaintances than actual friends. A friend is someone you can borrow money from to pay your electric bill and they say "Pay me when you can." A friend is someone who will drive you around to run errands when your car is down. Basically a friend is someone who not only has your back but their willing to sacrifice for you.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:02 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,466,992 times
Someone I can trust implicitly, who won't judge me, who will listen but not try to fix me, someone who is on my side and someone who will tell me (nicely) when I've screwed up.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:05 AM

36,412 posts, read 16,020,348 times
A friend is someone I can tell anything to and not be judged, someone trustworthy, someone that will show up, no matter what. So I have very few "friends"

Old 04-22-2013, 08:45 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,345,505 times
For me, a friend, true friend, tells me if they see something that needs to be addressed and not beat around the bush. Someone who has the balls to be totally straight with me as I would be with them.

To me, any time someone has an opinion, yes or no on an issue, personal or otherwise... this equals having a judgement and doesn't mean it is bad. To me, if I have a strong feeling or opinion on something I am essentially making a judgement. I don't feel bad about that at all.

I don't loan money to anyone, family or friends. The last time my brother asked to borrow money, I just gave it to him. Then again I've never had a friend ask for money. They all have more than I do!! And I would never, ever ask a friend for money. Not a line I could ever cross.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:21 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,102,213 times
There is an innocent definition and a sneaky definition.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:24 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,996,141 times
Varying degrees. Usually it's someone I feel like I can talk to, then not talk to for weeks, and then talk to again and we just pick back up where we left off.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:08 PM

202 posts, read 472,712 times
I friend to me is someone that you can call just to talk. Without asking them to do something for you. You call them or they call you just to see what's going on in your life. In other words they care about you and you care about them.

Most of the guys I know just call when they want something like a favor or information like where to buy something or how to fix something and they don't even ask what's going on in your life.

A friend is someone that you can tell anything about yourself to and you can trust them as they won't tell other people.

A friend is someone that is really happy for you when something good happens in your life and not jealous. You can buy a new car that is better than theirs and know that it won't make them feel bad.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:22 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
Very, very good responses so far in this thread. I think of things as being on a continuum, from casual acquaintance on one end of the spectrum to good, loyal friend on the other end. So it's impossible to say when a good acquaintance crosses the line and becomes a real friend; it happens gradually, often over a period of years. With a real friend, there is a feeling of being on the same wavelength, which is not the same as agreeing on everything; it's more a matter of mutual understanding - we feel we understand the other person and that we are understood by him or her without having to launch into long explanations or self-justifications. That being on the same wavelength creates a zone of comfort - we are relaxed around the friend because we don't have to watch carefully everything we say for fear of creating offense or being mis-understood.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:09 AM

250 posts, read 383,349 times
Someone who is always there for you, senses that you are down and wants to help bring you back up. Does NOT talk about you behind your back. You can tell them things you would not tell anyone else. You can pick up right where you left off after not talking to them for months or even years. That to me is a true friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships