Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 01:26 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,299,621 times

Advertisements

If I'm not expecting anyone and/or don't know who's at the door, I don't answer. Ever. If I can see that it's a delivery service then I will. I usually go into the spare bedroom to peer through the window at an angle to see who's at the door.

And that's for two reasons: Safety, yes, although a person who's looking to rob a house would hope that no one's home.

Also, I value my privacy and like time alone, especially on the weekends. I'm not too eager to drop that privilege at the drop of a hat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 11:54 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,447,145 times
Never answer unless I know who is knocking. Grew up in the 4th largest city in the US and am very conditioned to always keep on the safe side.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:15 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
I usually go to the window by the door to see who it is. We don't get a lot of unexpected visitors. I work from home so people know they can't just drop by whenever

Old 07-22-2013, 11:31 AM

36,519 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I always answer but I have a pitbull and a German Shepard who have been barking for a few minutes. Very few people are near the door when I open it.
I always answer the door. Most of the time I'm outside anyway. I have my two pits and most of the time my sons dogs, a German Shepard and golden mix, barking along with a flock of guineas screeching if anyone pulls up so its a bit intimidating to strangers.

There was one time when I lived in town I didn't answer the door. I had two rotties in the house and I peeked out and there were two guys who were either salesmen or Jehovahs so I hid and watched. As the men approached the door the two dogs lunged at the door barking and growling and slinging slobber and the men would run back to the car. They did this about 3 times before they finally left. I was laughing too hard to answer the door.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:44 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,978,563 times
If I'm not expecting anyone, meaning that we didn't plan for them to come over beforehand, I'm not answering it. I don't have friends or relatives who would just pop over anyway. If it's the delivery guy delivering a package, then OK, but often, they just knock & are gone back to their trucks, which is good, so I don't have to face them.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:25 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Regularly.

Nothing to do with fear.
Just don't want my time wasted.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:43 PM

257 posts, read 295,461 times
I almost always answer the door. That doesn't mean I open it. It doesn't take long (for me) to say "No" to a solicitor. I was told by not answering the door, a burglar could think there's no one home and attempt to break in. I also have a dog and she usually tells me when someone is approaching long before they reach the door. The approaching person can see and hear her too.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:32 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveHeart01 View Post
I almost always answer the door. That doesn't mean I open it. It doesn't take long (for me) to say "No" to a solicitor. I was told by not answering the door, a burglar could think there's no one home and attempt to break in. I also have a dog and she usually tells me when someone is approaching long before they reach the door. The approaching person can see and hear her too.
That's definitely a good point as the burglars do usually screen homes by ringing the bell to check for anyone home.
But I am not schlepping my butt all the way from the far reaches of my home to answer the door. The dog will be there to greet 'em, too. And she's not a fan of strangers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships