U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 08:43 AM

61 posts, read 83,061 times

Advertisements

I notice that ppl have a hard time telling apart friends from acquaintances. For example, when i was in high school, mostly everybody called each person that they met a friend. I had that happen to me while i was in high school. I had several people called me friend in school. Now that we graduated from high school, i decided to send messages thru Facebook to see how they was doing and mostly they all ignored me, or barely reply back. I don't understand why ppl would call associates or acquaintances friends. I always wonder why ppl do that. I did not understand why ppl called me a friend when they don't hardly know me (although i had some ppl called me friend just to cheat off my paper, or get me to write their essays for them). It seems like people do not know what friends are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 08:57 AM

6,069 posts, read 9,531,033 times
Words mean different things to different people. And they mean different things in different contexes. It doesn't work to consider words in isolation - they're only pieces in a system of communication.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:49 AM

981 posts, read 2,355,014 times
"Friend" is just easier to say than "acquaintance." It doesn't mean you consider that person a friend just because you refer to them as your friend. No one goes around saying "I had lunch with my acquaintance at work today." See where I'm coming from......

Old 04-28-2013, 03:27 PM

1,351 posts, read 1,280,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
"Friend" is just easier to say than "acquaintance." It doesn't mean you consider that person a friend just because you refer to them as your friend. No one goes around saying "I had lunch with my acquaintance at work today." See where I'm coming from......
Correct.

OP, I think most people can tell the difference between the two just fine, even when taking into account the subjective meanings of both words.

I'd also add that "friend" sounds more informal, casual and well...friendly to say in normal small talk conversation.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:59 PM

3,240 posts, read 3,286,887 times
Some people don't need to micromanage and categorize everything. Also its insulting to refer to someone as your "acquaintance", means they aren't good enough to be ur friend.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:15 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,766,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Some people don't need to micromanage and categorize everything. Also its insulting to refer to someone as your "acquaintance", means they aren't good enough to be ur friend.
Or maybe they don't know enough about each other to be considered friends.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:29 AM

202 posts, read 412,007 times
To tell someone else that another person is "My friend" is a compliment to themselves. Ever hear people bragging about this friend and that friend. People often call people friends to score points with others.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,177 times
Smile That is what i wondered for long time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pac0900 View Post
I notice that ppl have a hard time telling apart friends from acquaintances. For example, when i was in high school, mostly everybody called each person that they met a friend. I had that happen to me while i was in high school. I had several people called me friend in school. Now that we graduated from high school, i decided to send messages thru Facebook to see how they was doing and mostly they all ignored me, or barely reply back. I don't understand why ppl would call associates or acquaintances friends. I always wonder why ppl do that. I did not understand why ppl called me a friend when they don't hardly know me (although i had some ppl called me friend just to cheat off my paper, or get me to write their essays for them). It seems like people do not know what friends are.

Thanks God! Finally someone sees what I have been seeing at least since 1996! Here is what I think. Since some ppl dnt have enough good frnds or dnt have capability to make one lasting friendship they have to relay on acquaintances especially when they have personal issues. For example; educational issues, financial issues or language barrier this happens when two acquaintances speak same language or came from same country. Don't forget; most of these kind ppl have multiple personality! It depends what ever issues they have at the time. For example if they have financial problem they seem more like your bro or sis!

Old 07-07-2013, 06:09 PM

9,369 posts, read 18,018,108 times
This is the sort of thing you see on Facebook; someone has 500 "friends" who they barely know or haven't had a real conversation with in years. I think it all depends on the context in which you use e term friend. Of course we all define friendship differently so it's tough to say. Some people are friends with their dog, others might think the guy who sells them their lottery tickets at the corner convenience store is their friend.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:58 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,733,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pac0900 View Post

Lots of the time people simply don't use the word acquaintance, but use the word friend in place of it. Just because they don't realize there is a difference. Maybe they don't even know about the word acquaintance.

It's like the word love. There are different kinds and different levels, but they are called by the same name "love". And that makes things very confusing sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships