Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 07:54 AM

61 posts, read 102,592 times

Advertisements

I learned that you can't trust people, people rarely change, and people are *******s Also i learned that friends come and go fast.

Last edited by 2pac0900; 05-03-2013 at 08:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 08:06 AM

10,199 posts, read 17,776,123 times
I learned basic grammar.* And yes, it applies in the real world, if you want a decent job.

*Actually, I learned this in grade school.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:06 AM

11,021 posts, read 9,653,863 times
That's was I was going to say! Try looking under "subject-verb agreement".

Old 05-03-2013, 10:18 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,596,613 times
Several turned out to be lifetime friends. Others like anyhting else we come and go on with our lifes. But I always enjoy seeing them again when it happens.Our reuinons are always well attended. I am always kind of struck with sadness when I hear people who disliked there high school days;really.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:39 AM

383 posts, read 719,188 times
Actually, I learned very few life lessons in high school. Although I thought at the time that I had learned something about the world, more than twenty years out I realize that I had learned very little.

But here are some things I think I might have learned about high school, seen through the lens of greater life experience:

1) Everybody gets older. The "hot" girl or guy has a tendency to look less desirable twenty years later --- and sometimes "nerds" and "losers" really blossom. If you apply your high school standards to long-term relationships, you might end up disappointed down the line.

2) Cliques are meaningless. People you were rivals with in high school will just be more middle-aged folks at the 25 Year Reunion. You will probably have an amiable discussion about your kids or your sore backs. Those who were at the top of the pile in high school are rarely that way years later.

3) There's a chance, especially if you have kids, that you'll realize what a mopey, annoying, hormonal teen you were in high school. If you have the opportunity to contact your old teachers, thank them for their service!

Old 05-03-2013, 10:42 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,620,371 times
Looks like you missed the point of high school.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:55 AM

582 posts, read 1,115,536 times
That one's easy. In Driver's Ed, I made the mistake of changing to the right lane after checking my rearview and side mirrors only; I failed to look over my right shoulder (silly rabbit ). As soon as we pulled into the school parking area, my driving instructor, Coach Nix, made me leave the car running.

He then proceeded to turn on the heater full blast (it was mid-May in Montgomery, AL, therefore, it was about 90 degrees outside... and about 105 inside with the heater on full blast), and made me look over my right shoulder 100 times – while simultaneously counting each "look."

The 2 students in the back had to sit in that blazing hot vehicle with me until I finished counting out those 100 right-shoulder "looks." Needless to say that I always, always look over my right shoulder (or left shoulder if I'm switching to the left lane) before switching to the right lane.

So, if you're out there Coach Nix, "Thank You" for teaching me how to be a safe driver. I've been driving since 1985 and I've never been involved in a car accident. And I'm fairly certain that this particular "life lesson" from Coach Nix has something to do with that .

Old 05-03-2013, 10:56 AM

I almost forgot to add that the most important thing I learned in high school is that 4 years of your life is just 4 years. The drama and angst of our teenage years fades hella fast in the rear view mirror. At my 20th reunion (last one I went to), several people that did not really fulfill their end of our relationships in HS spontaneously apologized to me for not being better friends at certain times. Gratifying, unexpected, and not really necessary, but clearly we had all grown up and learned the important lessons that life teaches you after HS.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:57 AM

Clevergirl, I think Coach Nix is related to my mom!

Old 05-03-2013, 11:04 AM

486 posts, read 1,252,594 times
A ton. HS was the first time I really realized that your race matters in this world. How important nepotism is. That friendship is rare and acquaintances are common. I could go on and on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships