U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-05-2013, 03:13 AM
 
550 posts, read 833,452 times
Reputation: 669

Advertisements

By service jobs, I mean housekeeping and cleaning jobs. I have a job that requires cleaning and housekeeping at a fairly large company. One day a company executive( who I don't directly work for) comes in, snaps his fingers, and says rather loudly "hey cleaning lady, there's dirt on the floor over here". Or someone will just tell me they want something done rather than ask.

But it's not just in the company I work at. I was at a hotel one time and somebody said "housekeeper, you can clean our room now." Once I went to a restaurant, someone had to get the attention of a waiter by whistling at him.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-05-2013, 06:15 AM
 
Location: Wisconsin
7,215 posts, read 7,906,740 times
Reputation: 7740
Unfortunately, yes, many people feel entitled to treat service workers like dirt. It's part of the reason I'm glad I don't work in retail anymore.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2013, 06:48 AM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
16,343 posts, read 10,331,404 times
Reputation: 28468
probably for the most part but I'm wondering if you're looking for insults that aren't there. Like the 'housekeeper, you can clean our room now' line. Not hearing the tone of voice of course but that could have just been trying to be helpful. I've maids in hotels ask me if it's okay to clean my room-if I told them I was leaving they wouldn't have to ask. (Hope that makes sense)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2013, 07:02 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn,NY
10,611 posts, read 13,141,260 times
Reputation: 16173
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Unfortunately, yes, many people feel entitled to treat service workers like dirt. It's part of the reason I'm glad I don't work in retail anymore.
Some people do I agree. Some feel they are above service workers like cleaners and waiters and it may give them a feeling of superiority. Those in the service industry work very hard and it is stressful when encountering this. I work in the Hotel industry though in a different type of position but know well what it's like from them through some of my peers. So if you go to a restaurant, Or to a hotel and the service is good know they are putting in a lot of effort and give them a nice tip. it will brighten their day. And the karma will come back to you as well. It has for me.

Plus it's good for the economy. Everyone wins.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2013, 07:13 AM
 
3,319 posts, read 3,020,340 times
Reputation: 4808
Yes, people can be very rude. They seem to think that because they are indirectly paying your wages they have the upper hand. And they do. However, if they frequent the place, they also have a reputation themselves - and names that go along with that reputation - when they walk out the door.

The nicest customers are those who have had customer service jobs in their lives previously.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2013, 08:14 AM
 
788 posts, read 727,714 times
Reputation: 1843
Unfortunately, yes and I don't understand why - they work hard for their money just like I do, so other than the industry and the type of work, I don't see any difference between the two.
A long time ago, I took one of my coworkers to this place I frequented for lunch. The staff knew me to the point where the waitress already knew what I wanted to eat. My coworker proceeded to talk down to the waitress; her tone was just awful. It was a Vietnamese restaurant and the waitress was of Asian descent, she made the waitress repeat her order back to her. The waitress was tending to another table close by so my coworker banged her cup on the table and yelled "Waitress, I need more water!" I was mortified. She even left like $.50 tip and her meal was at least $10.00. I made sure she walked out before me so I could make up for the tip and apologize to the waitress. Needless to say, I never invited her anywhere with me anymore, even had the nerve to ask me one time if we could go back there -Umm, you can go back but I'm not going with you.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2013, 08:28 AM
 
20,541 posts, read 16,611,821 times
Reputation: 38561
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynaydee View Post
Unfortunately, yes and I don't understand why - they work hard for their money just like I do, so other than the industry and the type of work, I don't see any difference between the two.
A long time ago, I took one of my coworkers to this place I frequented for lunch. The staff knew me to the point where the waitress already knew what I wanted to eat. My coworker proceeded to talk down to the waitress; her tone was just awful. It was a Vietnamese restaurant and the waitress was of Asian descent, she made the waitress repeat her order back to her. The waitress was tending to another table close by so my coworker banged her cup on the table and yelled "Waitress, I need more water!" I was mortified. She even left like $.50 tip and her meal was at least $10.00. I made sure she walked out before me so I could make up for the tip and apologize to the waitress. Needless to say, I never invited her anywhere with me anymore, even had the nerve to ask me one time if we could go back there -Umm, you can go back but I'm not going with you.
Ugh, I would have had to say something to her. How embarrassing!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2013, 08:32 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn,NY
10,611 posts, read 13,141,260 times
Reputation: 16173
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
Yes, people can be very rude. They seem to think that because they are indirectly paying your wages they have the upper hand. And they do. However, if they frequent the place, they also have a reputation themselves - and names that go along with that reputation - when they walk out the door.

The nicest customers are those who have had customer service jobs in their lives previously.
Absolutely, Experience really is the best teacher. Also, one should be grateful in today's world that they can even afford to be a regular at a restaurant with the state of the economy and rising costs of living. And knowing this and the fact waiters depend on tips to provide for themselves and possibly others.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2013, 09:23 AM
 
5,278 posts, read 3,495,226 times
Reputation: 2264
Everyone should have to work a service sector or retail job as least once in their lives. The downside, of course, is that they will forever a bit of hope in the human species.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2013, 11:16 AM
 
1,922 posts, read 1,752,350 times
Reputation: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Everyone should have to work a service sector or retail job as least once in their lives. The downside, of course, is that they will forever a bit of hope in the human species.

Yes, really. I grew up in retail and also had my first outside job mowing grass and toiling on the trash truck once a week. I always make it a point to say hello. please, and thank you, be it the janitors who cleaned my office or the cashier at the grocery store. Dale Carnegie said the sweetest words to any person is his/her own name. 99% of the time thru the checkout line I will notice the cashier's nametag and be sure to greet them by name. It sure makes a difference in attitude, you can tell they appreciate small acts of appreciation.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top