Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 05:31 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I doubt it. Your ancestors' experiences more likely gave you instincts. But thanks for trying to propagate your superstitions.

I also found it odd the original poster didn't at least say "Thanks" to the girls. What's the big deal?
I agree with Hawaiian. I mean how does that explain all the stupid people who run amok today who have absolutely no common sense, let alone intelligence? Does not compute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 08:32 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,755,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I doubt it. Your ancestors' experiences more likely gave you instincts. But thanks for trying to propagate your superstitions.

I also found it odd the original poster didn't at least say "Thanks" to the girls. What's the big deal?
Ancestors, Great Spirit, Jesus, Cosmic Order etc? Hmmm focusing on the ugliness of a few trees but ignoring the greatness of the forest. hmmm hows that working brah? Further where did i say "be rude?". Superstition, ignorance, intolerance, comes in all races, ages, classes.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:43 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
This is often my way of dealing with situations where strangers say or do something where nothing good can come of me saying something back.

Two recent examples :

In the city and three male beggers ask me for "some coins" I ignored them and kept walking.

Another time I was out and two young girls (I'm talking 16-18, I'm 34) compliment me on something I'm wearing trying to start a convo. Again I ignore them.

I don't always do this, but when I get the vibe that nothing good is going to come replying thats what I do.

Under similar circumstances do you nearly always do the same?
I'd say that's a good way to handle it. I would do the same.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:11 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,133 times
I usually ignore beggars or give them a quick head shake 'no' as I keep walking. Same for various street solicitors, obnoxious salespeople that call out to you from mall kiosks, creeps trying to hit on girls on the street, etc. I find giving any of these any sort of reply just gives them bait and encourages them to get more persistent and obnoxious

Old 05-14-2013, 11:22 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,755,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
I agree with Hawaiian. I mean how does that explain all the stupid people who run amok today who have absolutely no common sense, let alone intelligence? Does not compute.
Its about awareness, unfortunately majority of ppl are stuck in there own personal prison or hell of there own minds. You can tell who they are, they are not aware of anything past there own personal existence or consciousness! Alot of people haven't even learned cause and effect. We know live in a society of self consumed ppl. We are all interconnected. We a spiritual beings having a human experience. And once again my experience and opinion. If we can open our awareness past our personal prison(our minds) then a whole new awareness of things around us happens. Sit in a park one day and dont think, just observe, you can learn alot about ppl and how things work. Aloha

Old 05-20-2013, 05:58 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,281,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickory patrick View Post
this made something pop back up in my mind, I work down town Chicago, and I get off around midnight, well one night a beggar asked me for some change, I was honest, I said sorry I don't have any, Well he went off called me all sorts' of chit'' even following me as I walked ....
So next night I emptied all the change I had in my locker in to my pocket, I mean it's like 4 hand fulls..

sure enough, their he is so I make sure to head his way heading to the parking lot.. Yep, the arse hole ask, Hey you got change, emm sure I do , and I slid my hand in to my pocket and scooped it out, right on to the side walk and the lawn and I kept doing it while walking...change every where for a half block ,

O ya I forgot to tell you he was in a wheel chair......I never ran into him again, guess he changed locations.. err the bums ran him off when they found all that change laying around..
That's hilarious. "Change? Oh boy have I got some change!" [change sprinkled everywhere like birdseed]

Old 05-21-2013, 04:37 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
dave nz..you really don't like beggars do you?..I've always believed if you got nothing nice to say , say nothing at all, but I'd never intentionally ignore someone, especially when they're asking for some help, or being kind enough to compliment me...Maybe the beggars worth millions and is just looking for a compassionate person to leave it to...maybe the young girls have a real fine, hot mama at home they could introduce you to...who knows?, but why think negative about people when you could be thinking positive, and it's much more fun...even rewarding at times.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:39 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
dave nz..you really don't like beggars do you?..I've always believed if you got nothing nice to say , say nothing at all, but I'd never intentionally ignore someone, especially when they're asking for some help, or being kind enough to compliment me...Maybe the beggars worth millions and is just looking for a compassionate person to leave it to...maybe the young girls have a real fine, hot mama at home they could introduce you to...who knows?, but why think negative about people when you could be thinking positive, and it's much more fun...even rewarding at times.
I think you are crazy.

I personally avoid and ignore beggars at all costs. Washington DC and vicinity is not exactly Mayberry and beggars you see may be trying to set you up or do something to you themselves out of desperation. Why put yourself in a situation to get messed up?

Old 05-22-2013, 06:00 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times
Default Panhandlers and Beggars

Ignoring street people asking for money.

I always ignore panhandlers or beggars on the street. For one thing, I don't want to encourage them by giving them any money. They have the option of staying in places for the homeless and there are people who will help them get on their feet and able to support themselves. We do them no good by helping them live on the street. Also, it lends a feeling of that street not being a safe place, and as a woman, I don't appreciate them approaching me or asking me for money. Many times they are mentally unstable and who knows what they will do. Best to be quiet, ignore them and just keep on walking.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:42 PM

4,208 posts, read 4,457,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
This is often my way of dealing with situations where strangers say or do something where nothing good can come of me saying something back.

Two recent examples :

In the city and three male beggers ask me for "some coins" I ignored them and kept walking.

Another time I was out and two young girls (I'm talking 16-18, I'm 34) compliment me on something I'm wearing trying to start a convo. Again I ignore them.

I don't always do this, but when I get the vibe that nothing good is going to come replying thats what I do.

Under similar circumstances do you nearly always do the same?
Agree with this for both situations. One of my first jobs in urban environment I worked second shift. The business had a retail walk up during day and doors would be locked at about 6pm. I used to get all manner of "I ran out of gas", "I need some money for the bus" sob story types and you learn quickly to size up the context of request and the 'requestor' / 'initiator'.

I also seem to attract the "Yo Chief got some change types". I guess being 6'2 I stand out and for most part I probably look initially as the type to give I guess. I learned.

When I have traveled foreign and domestic I usually just make visual contact shake head side to side and / or ignore while being as cognizant as possible as to my surroundings and more so in isolated areas and areas of high traffic in tight spaces (public transportation) where people will make physical contact (bumping jostling).

On a few occasions I have given people begging for money for food - my food - BUT NOT money. It was interesting to see how many 'truly were hungry'. Since I carried my lunch in my black business type bag, occasionally if a destitute person seemed truly needy I'd reach in my bag and give them say a banana, apple or orange. It was about 50-50 where I'd see them throw out the food shortly thereafter without eating it. Some were very appreciative.

One occasion I gave a middle aged man money but rather then just give it outright, I said 'walk with me' (did this during the daytime at lunch in urban metro downtown during winter month). This guy had what seemed an honest legitimate issue. He had an injury from serving, wanted to show his scar (which he so profusely insisted to show he wasn't lying), gave me his story of serving in military and having a discharge and how the VA wouldn't help. After walking with guy about 6-8 blocks and having him answer my questions cogently I gave him $20. My thought was if he was that creative at lying he deserved it for working and walking along (and keeping up) with me for about 8-10 minutes.

I also refer 'homeless' beggars for money to location of the local urban homeless shelter. Many will get PO'ed when you say things like that as they want the easy score for sympathy.

The earlier poster about the pocketful of change distributed like birdseed to a persistent wheelchair bound 'worker' was classic!

Interesting story in my hometown was years ago this long time street worker well known for his distinctive clothes and 'working style' finally passed away. The obituary mentioned he was worth over half a million and this was back in early 80s I recall. Also was interesting internet article on those holding signs at highway off ramps earning $70 k per year.. Such is life....

Learn and be discerning, and to OP's point, avoid high risk or situations where engagement in conversation is not likely to lead to anything positive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships