U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-20-2013, 07:04 PM
 
26 posts, read 46,029 times
Reputation: 30

Advertisements

I have a roomate that uses the 'tabo' which is a plastic jug/jar used to clean your behind after you have a bowel movement. We both have a small shelf stand where we put our personal belongings we use in the bathroom like toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, etc. My shelf stand is between the toilet and sink and hers is in the corner opposite the sink. We also have a glass shelf that is above my stand and extends over the toilet. Whenever she uses this jug she places it on top of the shelf. Since my landlord likes to assign a space for all of us, her space on the shelf is right above my stand.

At first I wasnt really bothered by seeing the jug on the shelf above my stand but I wasnt really thrilled either since I knew what it was used for (I have lived with a previous roomate that used the same thing for this purpose). The other week she left her jug on my stand, upside down. When I first saw it after waking up I was really angry. I know what its used for so you can imagine how disgusted I was. I don't care that she uses it just the fact that she left it on my stand. I cant imagine how many times she must have placed it there since its a convenient place, but I cannot say this for sure since I dont know for a fact. I have seen her leave her keys on my shelf. Later that day I saw my friend and told her what happened. She told me they use this also in her country but they put it somewhere on the floor not on a shelf since its considered something dirty. My roomate is from the Philippines, my friend is from another Asian country. I asked her what I should do and she said wait to see if she removes it and if I want I can tell the landlord to switch places for the stand.

When I saw my landlord I told him that I wanted for us to change places so that my stand would be in the corner and hers where mine is now. I am not sure how much he understood me (my landlord speaks Chinese). When I saw his wife, I explained to her that I wanted the stands to be switched. I explained to her what happened ( I had to use a lot of hand gestures because she speaks less english than him) and I could see the expression on her face as if she was disgusted. She also told me that they dont use it in her country and I could tell she wasnt really familiar with its usage. Today I saw my landlord again and he told me that they asked her but she refused to switch places only that she will not put her jug on my shelf. Later during the day I saw her put her jug on her side of the sink. She has never placed it there before so Im not sure if she did this on purpose or not. Sorry for the long post. For the people that use this, what is the etiquette in where you place it? would you be disgusted if you saw it on your personal shelf? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-20-2013, 09:16 PM
 
Location: New Orleans, LA
675 posts, read 4,261,165 times
Reputation: 349
I had to look up the tabo. Interesting. What I'm confused about is why your landlord designates your shelf areas.

Maybe I missed something, but have you actually talked to the roommate who is doing this? That seems like the obvious first thing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2013, 09:20 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
17,056 posts, read 17,369,523 times
Reputation: 41499
As an American, I would be upset if it had been sitting on my shelf or where it could drip on my toothbrush, etc.

Wouldn't it be something like using a toilet bowl brush and then setting it on the bathroom counter instead of in a container on the floor?

I'm curious to see what people that use this device feel about this topic.

Can you put your supplies in a basket and carry the basket to and from the bathroom (like dormitory students)? Or keep them in the bathroom but in a closed container?

Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2013, 10:21 PM
 
26 posts, read 46,029 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel2882 View Post
I had to look up the tabo. Interesting. What I'm confused about is why your landlord designates your shelf areas.

Maybe I missed something, but have you actually talked to the roommate who is doing this? That seems like the obvious first thing to do.
The tabo is only called as such in the Philippines, I am not sure what the proper name of it is. It is not a common thing in America so most people have never heard/seen it. My first time being exposed to it is when I lived with an Indian lady that used it so thats how I know what it is and what its used for. I know its commonly used in India and other parts of Asia. My landlord who are from China don't use it, so I guess only certain parts of Asia. This website has more information about it. http://www.the-vu.com/2010/12/wash-d...ipe-your-butt/

We both have a small table, one for each of us. It makes sense to designate which table belongs to whom so as to seperate your personal belongings. So there are basically two small tables (that each have two shelves). There is a glass wall shelf that is above my table which is where she puts her tabo on.

I tried talking to her about other issues before but she gets very defensive. One morning when going to the bathroom, there was a small pool of water near the bathroom door that I almost slipped on (this is after she just came out of the shower). I knocked on her door and she got mad that I knocked too loudly. Another time she left the bathroom matt drenching wet and I left a note next to the shower. Also she first moved in, there was almost always water drops on the toilet. At first I couldnt figure out why that was until I noticed that tabo thing she has and made the connection. I asked her to stop leaving water drops on the toilet. I think she just gets defensive and maybe feels like Im always pointing out something that she does. After the incident where I knocked on her door we heavent spoken to each other. I really didnt want to tell the landlord but I dont know what else to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2013, 10:36 PM
 
26 posts, read 46,029 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
As an American, I would be upset if it had been sitting on my shelf or where it could drip on my toothbrush, etc.

Wouldn't it be something like using a toilet bowl brush and then setting it on the bathroom counter instead of in a container on the floor?

I'm curious to see what people that use this device feel about this topic.

Can you put your supplies in a basket and carry the basket to and from the bathroom (like dormitory students)? Or keep them in the bathroom but in a closed container?

Good luck to you.
I keep my toothbrush and other belongings underneath on the shelf, on the top of the table I just have my soap pump. What I used to do, and have stopped after this happened, is place my toothbrush and toothpaste on top of the table before using it. Now I don't do that anymore.

I wouldn't say its quite like the toilet bowl brush but I think its similar. I was concerned that it could get contaminated while its used to clean down there. So when I was talking to my friend that used this also, I asked her about that and she said that it does touch your behind. But I was thinking maybe it just touches the clean part, but its still not a pleasant thought because contamination can happen.

I was thinking of carrying my supplies in a basket, I used to do that before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2013, 06:01 AM
 
Location: Between West Chester and Chester, PA
2,604 posts, read 2,304,982 times
Reputation: 4436
If you want to solve the current and any future roommate issues, move out and get your own place. Problem(s) solved!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2013, 08:02 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
11,165 posts, read 20,482,773 times
Reputation: 26443
You should just carry your toothbrush and stuff in a little basket, and store it in your room when you're not using it.

Since it sounds like she gets mad when you complain, for all you know she could be giving her butt a little scrub with your toothbrush whenever you've complained about her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2013, 05:50 PM
 
35,108 posts, read 40,257,322 times
Reputation: 62056
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdrops View Post
I have a roomate that uses the 'tabo' which is a plastic jug/jar used to clean your behind after you have a bowel movement. We both have a small shelf stand where we put our personal belongings we use in the bathroom like toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, etc. My shelf stand is between the toilet and sink and hers is in the corner opposite the sink. We also have a glass shelf that is above my stand and extends over the toilet. Whenever she uses this jug she places it on top of the shelf. Since my landlord likes to assign a space for all of us, her space on the shelf is right above my stand.

At first I wasnt really bothered by seeing the jug on the shelf above my stand but I wasnt really thrilled either since I knew what it was used for (I have lived with a previous roomate that used the same thing for this purpose). The other week she left her jug on my stand, upside down. When I first saw it after waking up I was really angry. I know what its used for so you can imagine how disgusted I was. I don't care that she uses it just the fact that she left it on my stand. I cant imagine how many times she must have placed it there since its a convenient place, but I cannot say this for sure since I dont know for a fact. I have seen her leave her keys on my shelf. Later that day I saw my friend and told her what happened. She told me they use this also in her country but they put it somewhere on the floor not on a shelf since its considered something dirty. My roomate is from the Philippines, my friend is from another Asian country. I asked her what I should do and she said wait to see if she removes it and if I want I can tell the landlord to switch places for the stand.

When I saw my landlord I told him that I wanted for us to change places so that my stand would be in the corner and hers where mine is now. I am not sure how much he understood me (my landlord speaks Chinese). When I saw his wife, I explained to her that I wanted the stands to be switched. I explained to her what happened ( I had to use a lot of hand gestures because she speaks less english than him) and I could see the expression on her face as if she was disgusted. She also told me that they dont use it in her country and I could tell she wasnt really familiar with its usage. Today I saw my landlord again and he told me that they asked her but she refused to switch places only that she will not put her jug on my shelf. Later during the day I saw her put her jug on her side of the sink. She has never placed it there before so Im not sure if she did this on purpose or not. Sorry for the long post. For the people that use this, what is the etiquette in where you place it? would you be disgusted if you saw it on your personal shelf? Thank you.
Honestly, when she is in America she needs to quit using that, next, what does the landlord have to do with who gets what shelf, I am very confused about that and last .........find your own place, that way you do not have these issues or find a different place with roommates who use the bathroom the American Way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2013, 06:28 PM
 
Location: Brentwood, Tennessee
43,325 posts, read 41,880,675 times
Reputation: 83226
Where in the world do you live??

1) Keep ALL your personal hygiene items in your room in a basket. Bring them with you when you use that bathroom.

2) Keep antibacterial wipes on "your" designated shelf and wipe down the toilet and other surfaces when you use that bathroom.

3) WHY does your landlord have a say in how you use shelves in the bathroom? Do you rent a room inside his house??

4) Find a living situation with roommates who have the same hygienic practices you have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top