Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 01:30 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
And just like that a person that does the hiring is biased, for example if u are christian but the employee is atheist, you may then be reluctant to hire him

As for the company paying u well, u sold ur soul to the devil, i hope u know that
LOL so you hate corporations and religion too?

Oh wait, you hate corporations except the ones that made the clothes and shoes you're wearing, the food you eat, the device you used to type your rant and the one that provided the Internet service to post it.

Find somewhere else to direct your anger.

If the OP doesn't want his dad commenting on his FB posts, he should unfriend him or block him. He has to decide if that is worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 01:55 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,527,864 times
Quote:
As for the company paying u well, u sold ur soul to the devil, i hope u know that
So you are only interested in jobs which pay poorly because companies which pay employees well are evil?

Old 05-27-2013, 04:45 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Great points.

BTW, most of the parents that I know are not friends with their children on Facebook. The few that are friends do it to keep up with what their young grandchildren are doing (ie. the "children" are older and married).

My children are 25 and 30 and I would never even consider it even if they asked me to be friends. FB is just too personal.
Quote:
So what do you have to hide from your own kids?
Are you being sarcastic? They really need a smiley face that clearly means sarcasm.

If not, I have nothing to hide from my children. I post on FB so infrequently I haven't yet posted pictures of my son receiving his doctorate degree and getting married last June.

And, I doubt that my children have anything major to hide from me. But, the joking around with their friends about "going out", political issues, who is going out with who, etc, is just too personal for me (esp. when they were high school and undergraduate age students).

Old 05-27-2013, 05:36 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,828,036 times
I agree with blocking him. Also, if you have a really common name, it's less likely employers will be able to find you on Facebook.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:00 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayN View Post
You never, EVER, add your parents on FB.
My son and I are friends on FB. I don't see the problem. If we post something we don't want the other to see, we customize the setting so the other can't see it. Choose "Custom" and add people you don't want to see the post in the box at the bottom of the customization screen - simple. YOu don't have to unfriend of block someone to keep them from seeing a particular post. (I also have different groups, and depending on the content of the post, I post to different ones.) But 99% of our posts are about shared interests - modern classical music and birdwatching/bird photos we take - so that rarely happens. He's 23 and I'm also friends with several of his friends - at their request, not mine.

I think a lot of people are just unfamiliar with how to control their privacy on FB. There's a way you can check to see what your page looks like to someone you're not friends with. People can't see anything on my page except my name and profile picture (which is of an inanimate object, not me)and the message that you must be friends with me to view the page. There is absolutely no reason a potential employer should be able to view a FB page unless the user is too lax or unconcerned about their security settings.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:57 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,858,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Block him if you don't want any comments. Or get over it.

And he's absolutely right about employers. My husband and I both look there first when reviewing resumes.

You can find a LOT more than you think, even with "appropriate" privacy settings.
WOW! Thanks for the info.! This validates things that I heard regarding employers checking their prospective and current employees.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:29 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,527,864 times
Legislation Preventing Employers From Asking for Facebook Passwords Defeated:

Legislation Preventing Employers From Asking for Facebook Passwords Defeated - US News and World Report

Old 05-28-2013, 05:14 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
WOW! Thanks for the info.! This validates things that I heard regarding employers checking their prospective and current employees.
Is it really a surprise?

I don't "check up" on current employees, but it is widely used to research prospective hires.

Most everybody under 35 uses FB and/or Twitter regularly, and it is the quickest way to get a look at what someone is really like, as opposed to the sanitized, job-interview version.

Many jobs now require a credit check as well. I would think that would frighten most folks more than a Facebook check.

Last edited by BirdieBelle; 05-28-2013 at 05:23 AM..

Old 05-28-2013, 10:45 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Is it really a surprise?

I don't "check up" on current employees, but it is widely used to research prospective hires.

Most everybody under 35 uses FB and/or Twitter regularly, and it is the quickest way to get a look at what someone is really like, as opposed to the sanitized, job-interview version.
Which is why I don't use my real name for my active Facebook account. I guess most people do in order to be "found," but that's not my reason for being on that site. I created the account, let friends and family I wish to communicate with know who I was on there, and that was it.

Now, I also created an account with my real name but only update it sporadically and with innocuous information. If someone wants to look at occasional updates of pet pictures, have at it. If I get a friend request on that account, I'll decide if I want to allow them into my FB world, and direct them to my alias account.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:06 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,200,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Can you explain this please? I have the tightest settings possible on my FB. I even tested it out to see what non-friends could see if they looked me up. Only friends can see what I post. So how can anyone, especially an employer, see them if you aren't "friends" with them?
If you leave a comment on a public page, a simple Google search of "[your name]" +Facebook will lead them right to it. What you post on public pages is not protected by your own privacy settings. I've tested it on myself, while signed out of FB, using a different browser than the one I normally use (no chance for cache).

Therefore all of those people out there who troll around on political or religious pages, get into flame wars over things like abortion or gun rights, post "I'd tap dat azz" on public pages, or who belong to public groups, well, your comments can be seen by anyone who wants to find you IF the owners of those pages/groups have made their pages/groups available for search engines. People looking for you may not be able to see your page, but they can read what you write on public pages accessible to search engines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships