Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 06:48 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times

Advertisements

One of the downsides of the Internet is that if you search for certain personality traits, you'll come up with a dozen labels to describe a person who has these traits. It's sort of like looking up your symptoms when you're sick. You conclude you have a serious disease when it's really something minor. So I need help trying to recognize what this person is, how to deal with them, and whether the relationship can be salvaged.

1. Frequently complains about what she doesn't like about her life (her job, her lack of a dating life, her weight, etc.), but makes little effort to change any of it. In other words, she doesn't look for another job, doesn't try to meet single men, doesn't exercise regularly, etc.

2. When confronted about her behavior, will walk away and close the door rather than stay and listen.

3. Frequently depicts herself as a victim of bad luck. Rarely accepts responsibility for her own problems.

4. Is quick to jump to conclusions about the meaning of what someone else said, did, or didn't do. For example, if you go on a trip and don't call or send a text, she'll think you're purposely ignoring her.

5. Often frames thing in terms of herself.

6. Expects others to show interest in what she has to say and will complain when they don't.

7. Is quick to ask others for help rather than take the time to figure things out on her own. In other words, she gives up easily and doesn't push through when the going gets tough.

There's more, but this should give you a start.

Last edited by DennyCrane; 05-26-2013 at 07:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 06:56 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
Are you contemplating dating this person? Because this post should really be on the psychology board.

Offhand though, I'd go with garden-variety narcissist.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:00 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
One of the downsides of the Internet is that if you search for certain personality traits, you'll come up with a dozen labels to describe a person who has these traits. It's sort of like looking up your symptoms when you're sick. You conclude you have a serious disease when it's really something minor. So I need help trying to recognize what this person is, how to deal with them, and whether the relationship can be salvaged.

1. Frequently complains about what she doesn't like about her life (her job, her lack of a dating life, her weight, etc.), but makes little effort to change any of it. In other words, she doesn't look for another job, doesn't try to meet single men, doesn't exercise regularly, etc.

2. When confronted about her behavior, will walk away and close the door rather than stay and listen.

3. Frequently depicts herself as a victim of bad luck. Rarely accepts responsibility for her own problems.

4. Is quick to jump to conclusions about the meaning of what someone else said, did, or didn't do. For example, if you go on a trip and call or send a text, she'll think you're purposely ignoring her.

5. Often frames thing in terms of herself.

6. Expects others to show interest in what she has to say and will complain when they don't.

7. Is quick to ask others for help rather than take the time to figure things out on her own. In other words, she gives up easily and doesn't push through when the going gets tough.

There's more, but this should give you a start.
You seriously need help "recognizing" that this is someone you should avoid like the plague?

Old 05-26-2013, 07:05 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
I think you described her adequately. Is this someone you're involved with?

Why don't you tell us what's worth salvaging?

Old 05-26-2013, 07:07 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,830,417 times
Annoying.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:12 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,722,754 times
How would I describe them? They sound like a child to me.

Regular boat-load of fun.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:20 PM

I would describe this person has a friend. Admittedly, not all of her problems were entirely her own doing. For example, not being able to sell her house in a bad market. Or not being able to find a job in the middle of the recession. But even after she weathered these storms, she still finds thing to complain about. It seems like she can never be truly happy with her life. Frankly, it's exhausting to listen to. I used to feel bad for her. But the more I listen to her complain, the less sympathetic I become, which is one of her complaints, that I'm not sympathetic to her plight. At the risk of sounding like a bad friend, it's hard to sympathize with someone who makes little effort to change her life. I can sympathize with someone who was diagnosed with cancer or just got laid off. But someone who has a good paying job, a nice place to live, and a circle of friends? Sorry, but it's hard to feel for such a person when they complain about not having a life outside work or not having anyone to spend the holidays with.

The terms I keep coming across on the Internet are emotional manipulator, toxic individual, and narcissist. I ind myself at a crossroads. Do I walk away from a friendship that has lasted nearly a decade or do I try to salvage it.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Are you contemplating dating this person? Because this post should really be on the psychology board.

Offhand though, I'd go with garden-variety narcissist.
I put it in the Relationships forum because it deals with the issue of friendship.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:25 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I would describe this person has a friend. Admittedly, not all of her problems were entirely her own doing. For example, not being able to sell her house in a bad market. Or not being able to find a job in the middle of the recession. But even after she weathered these storms, she still finds thing to complain about. It seems like she can never be truly happy with her life. Frankly, it's exhausting to listen to. I used to feel bad for her. But the more I listen to her complain, the less sympathetic I become, which is one of her complaints, that I'm not sympathetic to her plight. At the risk of sounding like a bad friend, it's hard to sympathize with someone who makes little effort to change her life. I can sympathize with someone who was diagnosed with cancer or just got laid off. But someone who has a good paying job, a nice place to live, and a circle of friends? Sorry, but it's hard to feel for such a person when they complain about not having a life outside work or not having anyone to spend the holidays with.

The terms I keep coming across on the Internet are emotional manipulator, toxic individual, and narcissist. I ind myself at a crossroads. Do I walk away from a friendship that has lasted nearly a decade or do I try to salvage it.
Nothign wrong with ending a friendship if it has become a chore and the other person is obviously not working at it from their end. What are you getting out of it anymore? Anything?

Also, isn't it ironic that in her demands for sympathy she fails to manage to sympathize with the fact that she has obviously overloaded you?

Old 05-26-2013, 07:28 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
On the P&OC forum, they would describe this as a typical millennial's behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships