Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 10:18 AM

6 posts, read 5,625 times

Advertisements

being completely honest, i always speak with mom (57), everytime we want to share something we do it anytime. However, as i don't have a good relationship with dad (55), i very seldom speak with'im. It's such a shame, i know! But he hasn't shown little interest in knowing a bit more about me; even when i was 14, even now that i'm 25, even later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 04:13 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,079,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diegoelcretino View Post
being completely honest, i always speak with mom (57), everytime we want to share something we do it anytime. However, as i don't have a good relationship with dad (55), i very seldom speak with'im. It's such a shame, i know! But he hasn't shown little interest in knowing a bit more about me; even when i was 14, even now that i'm 25, even later.
That's a bad deal about your dad...maybe he will wise up one day for the benefit of both of you.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:48 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times
I'll be 40 this year and if I still had my parents to talk to, it would probably be a few times a week, I imagine.

My SO talks to his parents pretty often, a few times a week or so but I would like to see them more than we do. I guess we see them 3x a year or so. The trip is 4 hours, not terrible, but he doesn't like the trip.

I do try and encourage more visits. You never know what you have until it's gone and boy do I know it. I lost my dad when I was 21 and my mom when I was 26.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:37 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I'll be 40 this year and if I still had my parents to talk to, it would probably be a few times a week, I imagine.

My SO talks to his parents pretty often, a few times a week or so but I would like to see them more than we do. I guess we see them 3x a year or so. The trip is 4 hours, not terrible, but he doesn't like the trip.

I do try and encourage more visits. You never know what you have until it's gone and boy do I know it. I lost my dad when I was 21 and my mom when I was 26.
Good for you, encouraging your boyfriend's visits to his family. So often we read in this forum about wives who keep the husband's family at arm's distance. I have often wondered why. Insecurity? Jealousy? Possessiveness? Your attitude is great.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:35 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,035 times
I'm in my 40's and speak with my Mom every week or two. She's recently had some medical problems, so I've been following up with known procedures or Dr's visits. We live 3000 miles apart, but I try to visit a couple times a year. A couple times a month my Mom will put my Dad on the line, but he's not a talker and doesn't hear well, so most news is filtered through my Mom.

I speak with my sisters a couple times a month and my brother every couple months. Again, he's not a big talker, so after 15-20 minutes, we're done!

Old 06-04-2013, 05:30 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,028,365 times
When my Mom was alive, I talked to her several times a week and saw them every weekend. She died in 2007, now I live next to my Dad (84) and we talk a couple of times a week on the phone and I see him every weekend. My DD lives in Cali and we skype every week, text several times a week and talk on the phone rarely. I've always considered my parents "family"

Old 06-04-2013, 08:23 PM

25 posts, read 67,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanNature View Post
My new husband only sees his parents on Christmas, that's it. And the only time they talk to each other by phone is a few weeks before Christmas to make arrangements. Other than that there is no contact, either by phone, email or in person. The parents live about 260 miles away.

I spent one Christmas at my new husband's parents family house and the mood was average. There was no real emotion or connection but everyone tried to carry on a conversation. I saw no conflict.

I asked my husband about his lack of contact with his Mom and Dad and he said communicating with his parents more often than once a year seems odd to him. He said he was not a kid anymore and once you get into your 40s talking to your folks often just is not done. He insisted that most of his middle age friends rarely see or phone their parents much more than once or twice a year. Especially if they live out of town.

What do you think is a typical amount of time a middle aged man will talk to his parents who live out of town?
Really want to know what I think? I think you husband is bashful to be around his parents or ashamed to talk with them around you or with his friends.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:02 AM

111 posts, read 659,923 times
So far I have not heard from anyone who has a relationship with their parents who don't talk at least once every few months. So my husband's relationship of talking only twice a year, but without any conflict, seems odd, but he insists that his friends rarely talk to their parents because they are middle age and that is what middle aged people do.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:54 AM

606 posts, read 903,544 times
My husband talks to his folks a few times a month an sees them maybe once a month. We live one town away.

My parents are 12 hours away. I talk to my dad several times a week. My mom several times a month. We visit them or they visit us a few times a year.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:37 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,788,843 times
I live 7-8 hours away from my parents, but we talk almost every day (my mom and I). My dad isn't much of a talker and also, like a previous poster, he doesn't hear well, so we don't talk as often - maybe once every couple of week. I see them about 6 times per year - Thanksgiving, Christmas, Summer, our extended family's annual beach trip, and a couple other random times during the year.

My husband and his mom talk every few days (he's her only child). She lives about 1 hour away and we see her about once per month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships