U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 10:41 PM
miu

17,159 posts, read 34,671,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowtree22 View Post
there are more mean ppl/ ppl without religion or ethics.. ppl don't vare about each other anymore.
As an atheist, I am highly offended that I am seen as less ethical as those who are religious. And thanks to organized religions, our planet has experienced a lot of wars and purging programs in the name of their various gods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 10:50 PM

6,561 posts, read 12,897,118 times
But one cannot deny that most religions are very moral when they are passive. That's not to say that one that is without religion is without morals. Codes of basic law run pretty parallel to codes of most religions with respect for what is right and wrong.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:57 PM

4,980 posts, read 8,443,855 times
I have seen more backbiting, gossipping, cutthroat behavior from religious people than atheists.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:39 PM

12,627 posts, read 18,180,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
I have seen more backbiting, gossipping, cutthroat behavior from religious people than atheists.
That may be true about religious pep's. But the atheists I know are some of the most depressing negative unhappy people around.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:41 PM

12,627 posts, read 18,180,745 times
I also think yrs ago people were held accountable for their actions more than today.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:00 AM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,065 posts, read 4,185,925 times
Quote:
I second this statement. Rep for you!

Old 11-06-2007, 05:07 AM

14,939 posts, read 10,234,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeg26 View Post
How many husbands have killed their wives/girlfriends just in the past few months? There is another one on the T.V. this morning. How many women have killed their children in the last few months? Let them bake in the car?

Yes, there are more "bad" people in our society today. Morals and values are hard to come by.

I do feel more and more families are noticing this and trying to make a change....starting in their own home. I think it's wonderful. We've got a long way to go, though.

One more thing. I was talking to my Father in law last night. He was talking about trick-or-treating in his day. How much safer it was. And if some creep molested a kid, most of the time the Dad and neighborhood men took care of it before the police even showed up! That probably discouraged a lot of crimes against children.

Im not old enough but yes, my Dad would say the same as your Father in law... back in the olde days, when something happened in the neighborhood it was talked about for months among the locals. Today, it's on the TV news once and forgotten the next day. The neighobrs would gather together to protect one another; all families. What a wonderful safe envirnoment that was! Today we look out for ourselves and we don't even know our neighbors. Sound familiar?

Old 11-06-2007, 05:24 AM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,065 posts, read 4,185,925 times
Without sounding like some yahoo....I attribute this sour mentality to toxics in our foods and environment, on top of our technologies progressing, but our intelligence as a society not progressing.

Bad people to me are stupid people with too many toys, needing to be mindless entertained all the time. People aren't dealing with "stress" very well. If you call it stress. I wonder what life would be like without fresh water or enough food...or indoor plumbing.

People just are not challenged the way they used to be. In China, scientists are celebrities. We should be revering those who participate in relief efforts all over the world. Heroes.

It's scary.

Happiness IS a habit. And bad, unhappy, miserable people some how only know how to be bad, unhappy, miserable people.

And domestic homicides are a phenomena that I'll never understand.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:09 AM

6,561 posts, read 12,897,118 times
Quote:
I'd bet you've probably seen the same amount from both, but it stands out more when one who preaches about God and such acts in such fashion....

When you're a hypocrite people tend to notice a bit more....

Either way it certainly isn't a factual statement and one that we can say, "Well there you have it then!!! Religious people are nastier than Atheists.... Nebulous has seen it...."

Old 11-06-2007, 07:01 AM

558 posts, read 2,059,877 times
LOL - the religion part of this discussion reminds me of a phrase my youngest child uses: "hypochristians"...

I gave up going to church a few years ago, when the most un-Christian-like behavior was apparent among way too many of the people there.

To respond to the OP - I do believe there are more "bad people" now; the shifting of values I've observed, away from things like family-time, nature, and neighborliness...to toys/things/extravagances...along with the fallout from always-rising drug use...has created a society where more people have less grounding in traditional values.

An example that comes to mind: I, my four siblings, & all of our neighborhood friends (probably 30 or so) ALL played outside, roaming the entire area (several city blocks - outskirts of Rochester, NY), every day, every minute we could get away from home/school for YEARS...and there was not one incident that happened to any of us--except when someone fell out of a tree and broke something...LOL... or got hit in the stomach with a baseball...ME!!!

Now, the only time children are seen, at least in our area, outside is when a parent is standing right there watching over them. Sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships