U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 09:58 AM

4,739 posts, read 7,562,128 times

Advertisements

I don't beleive people are better or worse from one generation to the next. I think the world has grown much more competitive and there is less and less room for those that lack the skills nessessary to compete.
Think of people that have produced kids that made their living as: Butchers, Bakers, Typewriter Repairmen, Vacuum Cleaner Repairmen, TV Repairmen, Gas Station Attendents, Buggy Whip makers, Steel workers, Car Manufactoring Workers.
More and more people that can't function in our society every year, are they bad people or are we narrowing the path they can walk and hold their head up high. Not everyone can be the best or the smartest or the best looking but these people used to be able to be proud of what they did do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 01:46 PM

4,403 posts, read 4,614,703 times
Yes it seems there a lot more bad people than there were 30-40 years ago. I am shocked at the moral decay, the breakdown of the family, and the decline of politeness and civility I have seen in my lifetime. As fondly as I look back to how nice life was in the 1960s/70s, I believe it's the social policies and ideas of that era that led us down the road to where we are now.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:01 PM

2,432 posts, read 6,107,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
My parents, who are in their 80s, are always complaining about the lack of people skills of folks today. They insist that "in their day" people were nicer. They insist that people do not know how to have a friendly relationship anymore. The quality of people in general (and their personal attributes) has gone done hill.

Mom and Dad know there were plenty of mean and terrible people alive in "their day" but believe there were more decent people back then as a percentage of the population.

I read many of the postings on this board and a common complaint is the "poor quality people" many of us are meeting. The quality of our personal relationships are going down hill. Maybe Mom and Dad are on to something. Maybe there is just more mean people in America today than before.

What do you think?
People were definitely more polite back in the day. Societies morals and values have changed. Just look at the popular culture. Overall people were just more conservative back then. Kids were polite to teachers, children called adults Mr. or Mrs., a teenage pregnancy used to be something to be ashamed of. Forty or fifty years ago though two parent families were more common. Children had a parent that actually stayed at home and instilled values in their child. Today, frequently the television and the kids on the street corner have more to say about how a kid is raised and what values he'll have than the parents do.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:00 PM

30 posts, read 178,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
I also think yrs ago people were held accountable for their actions more than today.
milborn, almost said it right. It should have said they themselves held themselves more accountable for their actions

Old 11-08-2007, 08:48 AM

9,845 posts, read 22,203,068 times
Things were just different, I wouldn't say better, just different. It's hard to say whether there were more good people or whatever.

People often pine for the "good ole days," but forget they included heftier portions of segregation, racism, sexism, and etc. A lot of people wouldn't necessarily want to live in those days.

Not to mention there were only three channels on tv, no cable, people smoked and drank like crazy (less knowledgeable about the health risks of these things), no internet. People had a more uniform way of thinking, which was generally more conservative.

I will agree people are much less family oriented now than they were in previous generations. This is definitely a change for the worse.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:19 AM

10,387 posts, read 9,397,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Yes it seems there a lot more bad people than there were 30-40 years ago. I am shocked at the moral decay, the breakdown of the family, and the decline of politeness and civility I have seen in my lifetime. As fondly as I look back to how nice life was in the 1960s/70s, I believe it's the social policies and ideas of that era that led us down the road to where we are now.
Excellent posting! I am in full agreement!

Old 11-08-2007, 07:29 PM

162 posts, read 468,271 times
I am not sure if people are worse these days, there are certainly more media outlets to let us know EVERYTHING going on. Maybe all the publicity gives the "bad" people ideas to commit more crimes, who knows. I think there have always rapists, murders, child abusers, serial killers, and thieves, but we just seem to find out about MUCH more of these incidents these days with the media that is available to us. There are absolutely more ways to commit crimes these days. Internet, although a wonderful tool, is a huge problem. Maybe it is just easier to be "bad" now.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:57 PM

989 posts, read 3,133,389 times
I think your Mom and Dad are correct to a certain extent. Here's a couple thing to consider;

1. People are in more of a rush today than anytime before.

2. More people growing up in single parent homes where good values are not as well taught (sometimes).

3. In times past people put more value in being a good person, now days we think bad is good... ?

4. Too much TV, stereos, techno stuff. Less interpersonal stuff. There was a time when foul language and bad behavior was not acceptable on TV or in the movies. "Frankly my dear I don't give a damn." Get my drift?

5. The "news" makes it appear sociality is falling apart-- crime and crazy things have always happened they are just more in-our-face now.

6. People now days care less about "community" and "neighborhood", and that type of thing.

7. Last but not least. Your mom and dad are old. Unfortunately in our society we don't value, or pay much attention to, the elderly.

*Where might we be as a society in another 50 years? Hopefully I will live long enough to see the chaos and inhumanity that exists in 2058-- so I can scratch my head and wonder where the good old days went.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:05 PM

989 posts, read 3,133,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
. Manners just aren't taught as much anymore.... What a shame..
Manners? Wow! Thats a word I haven't heard in a while. Good point.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:32 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,214,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
My parents, who are in their 80s, are always complaining about the lack of people skills of folks today. They insist that "in their day" people were nicer. They insist that people do not know how to have a friendly relationship anymore. The quality of people in general (and their personal attributes) has gone done hill.

Mom and Dad know there were plenty of mean and terrible people alive in "their day" but believe there were more decent people back then as a percentage of the population.

I read many of the postings on this board and a common complaint is the "poor quality people" many of us are meeting. The quality of our personal relationships are going down hill. Maybe Mom and Dad are on to something. Maybe there is just more mean people in America today than before.

What do you think?
They're right,society has taken a dive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships