Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 10:00 PM

2,845 posts, read 4,515,074 times

Advertisements

yes i do & always have, right now it's ~15k more than him. it's a non-issue in our house. DH can work anywhere, where mine is more specialized field (trying to find a job in a podunky town is a CHALLENGE for me). we've known all along that i would out earn him & he doesn't care as long as the bills are paid.

he tells me the instant i make 6 figures, he's quitting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 09:29 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,056,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
My cats don't bring in a dime!
Neither do my dogs

Old 06-19-2013, 09:42 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,041,670 times
Quote:
For women .... are you the primary earner in your household?
Yes, yes, I am.

It was never an issue for me. I wasn't raised to think that a man was supposed to take care of me financially. Except for a few years when my mom had 4 of us under 10 she worked inside and out of the home. My mother even went back to school when I was in J.H.S. The thought of being a SAHM except temporarily after birth or for the first year or two has never entered my mind as a viable lifestyle choice. I like being the child thats got it's own. When I want something expensive I pick up an extra shift(or two or three depending on $$$) and get it. I don't have to ask persmission to spend as long as I'm willing to work a little extra and it doesn't take away from the household budget. I like it like that.

DH is also fine with it but did have to get used to doing his fair share of the household chores. He is still sloppy (as far as I'm concerned) so I do more of the heavy cleaning than he does but that's a standards issue.

As far as cooking...washing dishes...laundry and light cleaning go along with doing the most of the childcare he is great at that. He works part-time and even handles the extracurricular activities with the kids.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:45 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,041,670 times
Ha ha! That's what dh thought when he went to part-time. At the end of the day he is more worn out than I am and I usually take pity on him and let him sleep in on the weekends. Our kids and the house stuff run him ragged

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowcatcher View Post
Oh boy. The times have changed and the old rules are out the window. There are probably more women in the lead these days than men. The economy and job market sucks, so my attitude is if you guys are going to make it, take what you can get. If the wife makes more, so what? It is the responsibility of BOTH partners to keep the wolves away from the door. I make 5X's what my wife does. But I am lucky being in an almost recession proof career that is pretty stable. However, that comes with a lot of responsibility, stress (over used term), and long hours. I have often told my wife that I would gladly switch jobs with her for a normal 8 hour day like she has. Actually, I would like to be a house husband! She can go to work and make the money. I will clean the house (help now anyway), cook, (much better cook than my honey), shopping and whatever. Then I would manage my time for doing hobbies and stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships