Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 01:39 PM

895 posts, read 1,703,137 times

Advertisements

This is a broad question, but I am curious to see what people think. I am interested in primarily the social aspects rather than the economic aspects. If you were to ask me my opinion I would say that social media and the trend mentality are somewhat overbearing for people who prefer to be more independent and fly under the radar. I also detect pretentiousness in many younger neighborhoods that gives off an uninviting vibe. Positive aspects that I notice is that younger people these days tend to be more creative and innovative. I could go into more detail but I am more curious to see what others have to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 01:53 PM

2,533 posts, read 3,099,533 times
I don't know what you mean by "yuppie culture." Yuppies were originally supporters of Senator Gary Hart's presidential bid.

Do you mean, what do we think of creative young people; that is, single (or married and childfree) interesting people who prefer urban living? If you don't care for my definition, please provide one of your own.

My opinion? "They" are just fine.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:55 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
From a midwest yuppie perspective;

Boring and predictable (boring because predictable?).

Go to college, get married, pump out two kids right away, a third kid later on. Live in the bland newer housing areas built by the same developer, so there are only three or four styles. Have a large suv, a smaller car, both new or close to it and have their college sticker on them.

Disney World for vacations, Mexico for the honeymoon, football on sunday, talk about sports all the time and the weather. Drink coors light, bud, or some generic beer all the time. Always wears a polo shirt if needed to be dressed up a little, other than that it is one of the numerous alumni college shirts they have.

They will do the same thing over and over until they die.

Ok, that was very generalized. But I know it holds true for a few people I know of.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:40 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,722,713 times
Aren't yuppies "young urban professionals?" I am not seeing the bud-light drinking suburbanites in that steroptype.

I think of them more as loft-dwelling, Whole Foods-shopping, Merlot-drinking yoga pants types.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:47 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,369,627 times
I can't address yuppie-tude in its current incarnation, but as a kid & young teen (1980's), I aspired to be a yuppie
because of how positively (IMHO) it was presented in cutesy guidebooks (similar to preppy or valley girl handbooks).
I didn't comprehend all the complexities of unequal distribution of wealth
& how life actually is not a meritocracy, after all.
I thought it meant having money & taste/style, but have since learned that conspicuous consumption
is not exactly without cost, to all those people who can't afford to live such a cushy lifestyle.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:55 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
I got an iPhone this week. I think I may have reached the yuppie tipping point...

Old 06-14-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Aren't yuppies "young urban professionals?" I am not seeing the bud-light drinking suburbanites in that steroptype.

I think of them more as loft-dwelling, Whole Foods-shopping, Merlot-drinking yoga pants types.
If referring to my post at all; this was over two decades ago perspective, WFM was not around my area then. I am sure the yuppie culture has migrated over to WFM and other things you mentioned. I think they still drink generic beer not because they like it, it is just the thing they think they are suppose to do. You see these types at a bar that offers 100 different beers, but will still get a coors light.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:19 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post

Exactly. And even in the 80s they would have been loft-dwelling, sushi-eating, BMW/Volvo-driving types.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Exactly. And even in the 80s they would have been loft-dwelling, sushi-eating, BMW/Volvo-driving types.
I think the yuppie culture is defined differently depending on the region and perspective.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:58 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
I think it means people who adhere to whatever is trendy. It also seems to go along with valuing money over anything else.

I have never liked trendy and thus have fewer friends. But I like my frinds better than I woudl if they were the trendy types (although some of m friends are the yuppie type. I just have to overlook it, just as I have to overlook different faults in other friends (bigoted, shallow, adulturers, tax cheaters, exaggerators - you name it, everyone has some kind of flaw, but everyone has good attributes too - or nearly everyone does).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships