U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2013, 07:54 AM

3,101 posts, read 4,558,988 times

Advertisements

What is different people of different nationalities? (Visible difference, behavior, appearance, mentality) the example. How do you see them? Be honest please!
Whether these differences are common to the whole nation. (Percentage). Аbout them myth or reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 11:11 AM

4,360 posts, read 2,977,723 times
I usually assume they have more tradition-oriented cultures than mine. (I'm a Yankee.)

Exceptions to the above include when talking to the British, Australians, Canadians, the Japanese, and people of a few other western nations.

Last edited by Clintone; 06-18-2013 at 12:38 PM..

Old 06-18-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
I usually assume they have more tradition-oriented cultures than mine. (I'm a Yankee.)

Exceptions to the above include when talking to the British, Australians, Canadians, the Japanese, and people of a few other western nations.
Hi! I wonder how people stand out from the masses, or they do not stand out?
The total for the Americans is the smile, most polite. As for African Americans, many impudent, but not all. Clothes - probably all the styles that exist, but those who are from Texas you can tell.(do you know whence he)
As for the Russian say they do not smile and frown (this is not true, in part)
Some Americans can be identified by the shape of the face.
In the chat - a little knowledge of geography to 65 percent(people ). Quickly pronounce the words as opposed to the English. More free in behavior than the British.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:26 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,750,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyKarast View Post
What is different people of different nationalities? (Visible difference, behavior, appearance, mentality) the example. How do you see them? Be honest please!
Whether these differences are common to the whole nation. (Percentage). Аbout them myth or reality.
The one thing that struck me as most noticeable in my travels to Europe and in talking with people of East European descent while here in USA, if they are first generation (not fully acculturated), is a sense of social directness when in conversation. Not so much as blatant (rude) in your face directness, but rather, much less focus on trivial banality (small talk) in conversation which seems much more common in USA. Although, there are marked regional differences even within the USA.

For example, I will frequently get a much better 'depth of conversation' about things of importance to them and their 'life story', or what motivates them than I do with Americans. Also in conversations the Europeans were more apt to ask about one's education levels before asking what occupation / vocation. I think this is a slight cultural value difference.

A physical thing that struck me while traveling throughout Europe (France, Germany, Netherlands, Czech, Slovenia, Austria, Hungary, N Italy, Poland, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia) was less obese people than in USA. Frequently, when I would note an excessively large person they were most often American or Canadian tourists. Perhaps there are just as many but I sure did not see them with anywhere near the same frequency as I do in the same size cities when traveling in America. Only euro country that seemed to have larger overall stature amongst the countries I visited was Germany.

The Russians I have spoken with (don't think it would qualify as a large enough sample) tend to value education, literature and fine arts more so than USA. Depending on their generational age range I also sense a guardedness of those older who had exposure to Soviets (this is especially more so with occupied Eastern Europe) and less as one is younger in age with the younger tending to be more expressive. This seems ironic in a way because in the USA one tends to find old people more open to give opinions and be expressive while the younger generations inculcated in "Political Correctness talk" to be the more guarded. Very telling about a trend in USA culture.

Never could understand the rationale for this 'PC ness' as I'd prefer to know who is outright bigoted / racist or just plain crass and crude without having them 'mask' it so I could more readily disassociate myself from them.

Perhaps my own eastern European ancestry is a strong influencer, but I must admit, the women of the Eastern European region are much more naturally beautiful in my eyes. Physically in appearance and in bearing / comportment / deportment than USA women.

I sensed they were more comfortable in their femininity, aren't as coy about being desirable but don't (at least the many I saw) outright flaunt themselves. This may be changing as more western influences impact the social conditioning and acculturation of younger generations. I would consistently see women from 20 to 60 who looked very well put together - fit and looking their best even in poor areas.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:54 PM

ciceropolo, Thank you! You raskazali a lot of interesting things.
In America, women are more closed? Maybe it's because they want to be on a par with men. Is it true that in America people of different nationalities have their own community? And this community is only for people of the same nationality. In Russia there is no community, with the exception of some peoples of the Caucasus. Why in 200 years people can not blend into one. (As in Russian)

Old 06-19-2013, 01:23 AM

I met the American and French tourists in Moscow. It was the beginning of July. They were dressed as if going to the North Pole. I asked them where you eat. They traveled to Siberia. Apparently did not know that at this time there from 30-45 Celsius. This is probably the first time when the garment can be distinguished foreigners from Russian.
When I was in Japan, I was surprised by the Japanese. They thought I was an American. Some thought that Russia is a province of America. When I spoke in Japanese, they were delighted. They think that the Japanese language is very difficult for Europeans. lol. The British are more conservative than the Americans.
For countries. Russia has an interesting property that has no country in the world. Foreigners who come live in Russia, feel and is called themselves Russian and consider themselves more Russian,than a foreigner.
Why are so well-developed countries have a low level of knowledge about the world? It's strange to me.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:44 AM

4,360 posts, read 2,977,723 times
I've never been outside the U.S. except during one brief trip to Canada.

Chinese people seem shy and physically identical to Japanese people.

Japanese people seem extroverted and eager to assimilate into the local dominant culture. The youth I've known have been dedicated to academics, or wild parties and drinking, or both.

White westerners, and Australians, who have come from English speaking nations seem identical in both looks and behavior to white Americans.

White westerners who have come from non English-speaking nations, who have lived in the U.S. for several years, all seem to have four things in common:
  • They're friendly
  • It's difficult to understand what they're saying, and this will continue till the day they die
  • they're routinely oblivious to cultural references
  • they don't seem to care about the two characteristics directly above
Middle eastern immigrants seem shy as youth, but the two Iranian American business owners I've known have been quite outgoing and friendly, and more than willing to tell their entire life story to strangers.

Mexicans either seem to have little to no ability to speak English, (I presume they're first generation immigrants) or be identical to other Americans in all ways except a slightly darker skin tone than the white Americans. (I presume these are the second generation).

I was born in St. Louis City. There were certainly largely black areas, and largely white areas, and largely middle eastern areas, and a largely Italian area called The Hill.

I do not know why it was split up in such ways.

Last edited by Clintone; 06-19-2013 at 02:22 AM..

Old 09-20-2013, 08:57 PM

1,882 posts, read 2,841,888 times
living in los angeles i have gotten better about telling different asians apart. for instance, i can tell (usually) the difference between the japanese and koreans. vietnamese/cambodian are always easier because they have lovely golden skin.

i have found koreans to be very conservative. a bit strait-laced. the chinese i have found to be quite cold and reserved at first, but warm up quickly. the japanese are wacky and i have some great friends who are japanese. either they are VERY outgoing and individualistic or they are completely straight-laced. i love me some japanese!

here is a stereotype i have evolved of armenians- due to the large number of armenians that go to my college. the woman generally are GORGEOUS and well put together, or babushkas with big bosoms and a several extra pounds. the guys are SO samey- shaved heads, lots of cologne, interesting shoes (never sneakers) and some kind of unusual jeans on- like they will have a strange pattern on them or rhinestones. and jewelry. if i hear the russian word for "ok" when they walk past i figure they are probably armenian, maybe russian. they always look SLICK.

i have a soft spot for older latino men- like grandad age. most of the time they wear cowboy hats, cowboy shirts, nice slacks, carefully trimmed mustaches and a friendly manner. im from the south and i never understood why southerners have such a problem with latinos (all of whom are mexican to them, as in "can't stand these mexicans".) i mean, the latinos in my neighborhood, many of em, drive pickup trucks, wear cowboy boots, like to work on old cars and drink alot of beer on saturday and set off a bunch of firecrackers but go to church on sunday and go to work on monday. these rednecks from where i am from would get along like gangbusters with guys like that! i mean, just regular folk.

i come from atlanta so i love my black folk. alot of people will say black people are loud and ostentatious which is a generalization- its like "white people are all rich". AS IF. what alot of people call "ghetto" is to me super straight forward. i really like that in a person. i wanna know where i stand. i don't like fake politeness nor beating round the bush. some people find it offputting but to me, it sets me at ease.

i have found that i get along REALLY well with colombians. i don't know why. i have always heard that colombians, as far as latin america goes, generally have higher educations than their central american brethren, but i could be wrong.

and i LOVE kenyans. when i lived in georgia i got to know SO many kenyans and i got to where i could tell them from other africans (american or otherwise)- such gorgeous skin tones, and such a regal bearing. they are amazingly warm, friendly, family oriented and have SUCH beautiful countenances. some kenyans i have met i would actually call angelic.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:01 PM

1,882 posts, read 2,841,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post

Perhaps my own eastern European ancestry is a strong influencer, but I must admit, the women of the Eastern European region are much more naturally beautiful in my eyes. Physically in appearance and in bearing / comportment / deportment than USA women.
believe me, you aren't the only one who noticed. polish women in particular- yowza! i have a close friend who is polish and she showed me a pic of her schoolmates from back home and i was like, "what school of modeling did you go to?" i mean, it was absurd. take 50 random american women and 50 random eastern european women and put them side by side and i have to say, i gotta think the EE women would win. and i think ukranian women are gorgeous as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships