Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 07:31 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Well stated...I'm assuming you're a male?

My guy friends say go...my female friends say cancel. Of course ultimately it's my decision but I can't help but feel like a 'bad daughter' going. I've been told I'd be selfish to go at this point..I guess I'm really guilt tripping on myself at the moment...
Nope, I am female, with a Mother who lives crisis to crisis. She calls me out of the blue, needing "$500, RIGHT away....send it to me Western Union, or....". She never grew up, her parents always bailed her out, so, now she comes to me.

She is an adult, and she never asked you for help...so...go on your trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 07:45 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Cancel the vacation and help your mom!
Exactly. I cannot imagine that you are even questioning helping your Mom. If you can afford your trips, and afford to help your Mom survive...Then do both. But, it isn't even a debate if it is Mom or Trip...IMO
EDITED BELOW

Last edited by JanND; 06-19-2013 at 08:08 PM.. Reason: revised

Old 06-19-2013, 07:56 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
MIA= Miami

I think I could manage to do both if I compromise by going a day later and come back in the morning instead of evening. I could also fly into Fort Lauderdale instead of Mia, which would save money that could be sent to her.

Yes, my mom has issues as everyone does and yes, she has made mistakes (staying at this $9/hr job for 14 years without trying to do better is one of them IMO). But she's still my mom and now that I know what I know I feels it's only right to help. I honestly think she didn't want me to know so I wouldn't alter my plans/budget based on her circumstances, but hey, that's life....

I'm just very torn as everyone has purchased their flights already, and it's next week. As of right now I'm feeling like the 'compromise' proposed above would work best...
You can't change flights w/out it costing you big time these days. If you do go, save the expense of rerouting or changing your booking. Just get her groceries and pay a couple of bills. Then when you get home, see what she needs help with. She may not need as much help as your Aunt implied. But, it does sound like your Mom is the altruistic type, and that she would feel really badly if you cancelled your trip because of her. Hard call, I see your delima.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:52 AM

4,213 posts, read 4,737,906 times
Update:

I went ahead and went on the vacation. I had a blast. I sent some money to my mom before I left.

Coincidentally, before I left we had a convo and she finally told me about what happened. She also mentioned that she told my brother back in March when it happened.

He sent her money this month too apparently, I don't know how much. When I asked her why she didn't tell me, she basically stated 'it just kinda happened' when she told my brother, and she told me not to tell anybody. Of course, my response is that 'I'm not just anybody' Anywho...I guess she didn't want me to worry I'm guessing. Moving on....now to try to help her figure out what she wants to do/can do next...

Thanks for everyone's input in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships