Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 01:01 PM

548 posts, read 890,896 times

Advertisements

My friend goes and tells me she bought herself a new phone behind her mother's back and her mom got pissed at her for doing so. I told my friend you got 2 jobs why not pay for your own monthly bill she says she wants her mom to do it. :/ Give me a break you want to work and make money but keep the money for yourself and have others pay for your needs still?

Even I do a bit more helping my parents around the house with chores minus cooking I do do a lot of the other house work and pay my share here and there too.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:14 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,514,723 times
I'm not sure why this is in the "Relationships" section or if you're asking for advice or what.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:30 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,931,897 times
^

Me either, other than to comment that it's not a bad idea for young people still living at home to pay for stuff like their own phone, gas they use driving around, etc. It's good practice for the day you spread your wings and fly away.

Unless the kid has a trust fund or something.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:32 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by napy666 View Post
My friend goes and tells me she bought herself a new phone behind her mother's back and her mom got pissed at her for doing so. I told my friend you got 2 jobs why not pay for your own monthly bill she says she wants her mom to do it. :/ Give me a break you want to work and make money but keep the money for yourself and have others pay for your needs still?

Even I do a bit more helping my parents around the house with chores minus cooking I do do a lot of the other house work and pay my share here and there too.
Well, if her mother doesn't like it, she can stop paying her daughter's phone bill. I suspect she won't, which is exactly why your friend has developed such a sense of entitlement in the first place, her parents enabled it. Some day, she'll have a harsh reality to face - maybe not soon but probably some day.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:51 AM

2,311 posts, read 1,845,572 times
Quote:
you want to work and make money but keep the money for yourself and have others pay for your needs still?
When she's on her own, she'll learn about money management pretty quickly.... Hopefully.

Old 06-20-2013, 02:14 PM

548 posts, read 890,896 times
She has lived on her own before but had to go back home.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:22 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Deep down the mother must want to pay for it or else she wouldn't.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:43 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,557,207 times
Aren't you the same poster who mentioned your "friend" told you not to buy a house because you already "owned" one (your mother's home)?
If so, you really ought to find some new friends.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:49 AM

1,841 posts, read 3,172,649 times
Quote:

This behavior in my opinion is lazy and conniving
I am not only speaking as a parent but AS a former child myself ..

My dad made great money however when I turned 16? And I was asking him for name brand items, a car and car insurance and all of this good stuff?
He stated to me the following, “I buy you what you need” “You get 12.00 allowance a week and this is 100% more than what I got…If you would like the extras? Get a job”
So what to do? No..The day I turned 16? I walked my ass down to McDonalds and got a job…This was the beginning of my being employed..I was not one of those posh teens.
I could get a job because my grades allowed it.. I made my own money, I bought what I wanted and it taught me the value of a dollar..
I paid for my gas, my car insurance and still had a curfew…
Taught me many life lessons…that have served me well…
Big enough to have a phone and be 16 or older? Big enough o get a job and still do well in school..

Old 06-21-2013, 03:49 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Well, if her mother doesn't like it, she can stop paying her daughter's phone bill. I suspect she won't, which is exactly why your friend has developed such a sense of entitlement in the first place, her parents enabled it. Some day, she'll have a harsh reality to face - maybe not soon but probably some day.
Parents like this keep a manipulative noose around their kids and raise them this way to they stay dependent on their parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships