U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 06-27-2013, 06:50 AM

2,574 posts, read 1,761,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
File a report with the police department. Last I checked stealing was a crime. If it involves the postal service it's a FEDERAL crime.

20yrsinBranson
Well around here that would do no good. Cops don't care about this sort of thing where I live. They will not even come out to make a report, you have to go to the station to do it.

In my old neighborhood, my neighbor was a thieving crackhead and even though I never could prove it, I KNEW who it was, and he stole all kinds of stuff from my shed, repeatedly breaking in to it and taking my spare window AC, lawn equipment, tools, Christmas yard displays, etc. I think he stole about FOUR of those big heavy duty extension cords I needed for my electric mower. He finally went to prison (for something else) and we didn't have to deal with him for a good two years. Someone even stole our little decorative park bench right out of the front yard and some of our neighbors told us that people would steal their potted plants!

"Someone" in that neighborhood also once stole about $600 worth of delivered packages, about seven packages all total, off of our front porch. It was brought by Fed Ex while we were out for the afternoon. All of it Christmas presents for our kids.

Yeah it sucked living there knowing we had to constantly watch everything and we couldn't trust our neighbors but we simply stopped having stuff delivered there, had it sent to friends' houses instead, and put motion detector lights out back and locked up everything like Fort Knox. Glad we moved. Now, in our "nice" neighborhood with million dollar homes near by, it's "just" bike theft, so we have all of our bikes crammed inside our apartment...

To the OP; best bet is to just have it sent somewhere else, sorry. People suck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-28-2013, 06:01 PM

445 posts, read 280,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OK, on a serious note...

On Amazon, you can sign up for notifications (text or email) as your packages process. I do this all the time, and my mail carrier will deliver my package and literally about 5 minutes later, I get a text message.
I get those notifications about 12 hours after the delivery, in the middle of the night, which wakes me up. So that method doesn't work for me unfortunately...

I want to point out that there's a good chance it isn't a neighbor. Smart thieves won't steal near their own home where they can be caught and recognized easier. There are thieves who specialize in stealing from places there will be unsecured valuables, like high school parking lots, hospitals, and motel-style apartment buildings (the kind where you don't need a key to get to someone's front door). I think you need security cameras, or at least fake security cameras and a sign warning about the cameras, to stop this.

Unread 06-28-2013, 06:18 PM

796 posts, read 340,570 times
jade,

u know what im thinkin?.... u can put up a typed sign on your door that says,

due to recent theft of delivey parcel at _____,(put your apt #)
Any shipment of packages, boxes or parcel from FedEx, Ups, USPS etc, are to be left in Mgmt. Office.

Please do not leave at door. Authorities have been notified and this area is under video surveillance.

Thank You.

Last edited by Mandy612; 06-28-2013 at 07:28 PM..

Unread 06-28-2013, 07:15 PM

7,894 posts, read 5,398,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I have lived in the same building for about 8 years now.

So a recurring issue I have is that some of my packages go missing. Probably 1/3.

Some of the things that disappeared? A welcome pack for a friend's wedding that included chocolates. Clotting from a certain online retailer (and it was everything I ordered from that place. I tried to return a broken cell phone under warranty, and when I sent back the broken one (leaving it in drop off area for outgoing mail).

When I moved in, there was some mail fraud in the neighborhood and someone went to jail for it for 3 years. That person was released, but they weren't in my building.

So I had thought that were just getting taken from the mail room -- where there is a separate key to access it since it is not in the lobby.

Besides the cell phone, I was able to get replacements or refunds for the missing items, and I try to make sure that signatures are required for all of my packages.

Another neighbor of mine lost prescription drugs.

This time was a little different. I ordered a couple items from Amazon. We have had issues in the building with the delivery company in the past. So when the package expected to arrive on Monday, and there was no sign of it over the weekend, I called them and they said they left it in the lobby. I was annoyed because that also meant they didn't attempt to call me when they delivered it and I was home at that time.

I was chatting with a neighbor about It, and she had seen my package in the lobby in her way out. She didn't have time to place it by my door then. (She doesn't live on my floor)

But this confirmed that my package could have in,y been taken by someone with access to the building. One of my neighbors.

I put up a missing package sign, but I have done this in the past with no response - other than sympathy.

Any ideas? I really don't want to have to get 2 day delivery all the time for signature confirmation. I work from home. So I don't have an office to use as an alternate address.

On an autocorrecting iDevice.
Are there any security cameras in your lobby? Perhaps you should use alternative delivery...something that would deliver to your door. It may not be convenient, but better than allowing your mail to be stolen.

Unread 06-28-2013, 08:08 PM

14,300 posts, read 8,367,054 times
What is really annoying about this particular delivery company? They don't bother to call the recipient of the package. I was home at the time my package was delivered. In fact I didn't leave for several house after the delivery. The other people in the building with issues with that company also noted the same thing.

Our building lobby is not easy to get into. You need a key to the front door. And the door from the garage uses a separate key. The mail room would be easier to steal packages from. People are good about not letting in strangers, and in my years if living here, I have I Ly had neighbors entering the front door at the same time as me every other month or so.

The building has about 20 units. I doubt the HOA would approve cameras.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Unread 06-28-2013, 11:19 PM

1,793 posts, read 830,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
What is really annoying about this particular delivery company? They don't bother to call the recipient of the package. I was home at the time my package was delivered. In fact I didn't leave for several house after the delivery. The other people in the building with issues with that company also noted the same thing.

Our building lobby is not easy to get into. You need a key to the front door. And the door from the garage uses a separate key. The mail room would be easier to steal packages from. People are good about not letting in strangers, and in my years if living here, I have I Ly had neighbors entering the front door at the same time as me every other month or so.

The building has about 20 units. I doubt the HOA would approve cameras.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.
The HOA should have a responsibility for safety. They should not aid in bringing down property values. So if they don't want the security cameras up for general security, they should put them up in view of recent mail thefts.

Unread 06-29-2013, 03:55 PM

3,621 posts, read 1,379,224 times
Shop Amazon. They will replace your loss for free.

Unread 07-02-2013, 09:16 PM

61 posts, read 29,864 times
If you wanna catch them set up a camera facing the spot where they usually leave it. Or tape a sign up on your door in bold letters the day or week you're expecting it saying "SECURITY: Any Packages Under This Are on Video Survellience". Fake them out.

Only 3 other options are...

Sign for it to be left on a certain day you know you'll be home.

Go pick it up at a drop off.

Or if its an amazon order you can choose to have it sent to a "local amazon" store location. Check Amazons site for the details on that. Or choose to be notified when the package is delivered by text. So you'll know exactly when it's sitting infront of your door. You can set that up in the "recent orders" section on Amazon under "tracking".

Last edited by L3XX; 07-02-2013 at 09:27 PM..

Unread 07-03-2013, 08:34 PM

7,894 posts, read 5,398,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
You can request that UPS require a signature when they deliver, I would call them and find out how to do this. I've also had packages sent to my workplace instead of my home, if that is possible where you work that might be a good solution. I've also had them sent to my bf's.
Mail a package to yourself. In it put only a note saying...Busted!
They will get paranoid....
You could also have a talk to your postal carrier...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships