Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 01:43 PM

22 posts, read 27,693 times

Advertisements

If any of you are aware there is a movie and MTV show called Catfish. But have you ever dealt with a catfish type of person?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 02:48 PM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
IMO they are easy to avoid by not allowing a relationship to form only via e-mail/computer/phone. When I was online dating (I'm not now since I met my honey there 3 years ago) I would talk to someone online at most a couple of weeks. If you can't bring it into real life by then, why bother continuing? Too many people think there is a way to truly get to know someone without ever being face to face, but I do not.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:09 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
I've never talked to anyone online that I didn't know. I post in forums, yes, but never chats or instant anythings. I've done this on purpose. Occasionally I hear about people meeting online that turned into a great IRL friendship or relationship but I don't know if I have it in me to even try! LOL

Old 06-23-2013, 11:49 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,934,737 times
For whatever reason, I tend to have pretty good radar about people I encounter on line. But IRL? Forget it. It feels like every Catfish within a hundred miles or more somehow knows to hone right in on me. There was the man with 9 schizohrenic brothers; there was the clown who asked me to marry him after we'd been seeing each other for 2 years. "Quit your job, I'll take care of you," he said. He took care of me all right. One cold October afternoon, I was sitting in his daughter's room, helping with her homework (she lived with us). The Catfish walked through the door, looked at his daughter and me and said, "I can't do this anymore," turned on his heel and left us BOTH just like that. It was his payday, too; but do you think he left anything behind to help cover our expenses - like food? Nope. What a guy! Then there was the soldier who was getting busted out of the military and was confined to quarters. I bought his story, hook, line, and sinker (as usual) - turned out he was just another guy who loved to tell fish stories.

I'm afraid the catfish will always be among us, online or off.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:59 AM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
I thought Catfish was a term used for people online pretending to be someone other than who they are?

Old 06-24-2013, 05:35 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,519,061 times
Rule #1 -- They never go to any of your football games.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:08 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,778,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I thought Catfish was a term used for people online pretending to be someone other than who they are?
That's what I was thinking. I recall a movie by that name about a guy who was emailing and talking on the phone with someone out of state and when he went to visit her she was an entirely different person than who she claimed to be. Not at all uncommon on the internet. On forums they are otherwise known as "trolls".

Old 06-24-2013, 09:43 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,826,650 times
No. It's kind of hard to find catfish, or any other fish, where I live except those in fish tanks and the grocery stores...

Last edited by Osito; 06-24-2013 at 10:38 AM..

Old 06-24-2013, 11:14 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Of course you are correct, and Niv and gang will commence their second season this week. Re: the original question, if someone is being squirrelly about a live meeting after three weeks, dump them. They're just playing you. One of the entertaining aspects of the show is the people who keep clinging to hope when any idiot would know better.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:33 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,521,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Of course you are correct, and Niv and gang will commence their second season this week. Re: the original question, if someone is being squirrelly about a live meeting after three weeks, dump them. They're just playing you. One of the entertaining aspects of the show is the people who keep clinging to hope when any idiot would know better.
I agree 110% no matter the distance of someone you are talking to, if you cannot get them to agree to meet you, then obviously that person is not the person they claim to be. I am amazed how these people go for months and years talking to these people online and through text messages, yet can't figure out why a person doesn't want to meet them in person? And I am even more amazed that this is such a phenomenom, that they could not only create a TV show about it, but get at least two seasons out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships