Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 04:02 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,251,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanNature View Post
People suggested that I pay for the school of my brothers and sisters and not send them an allowance. I did that for one of my sisters a few years ago. I paid for her to go to a beauty school and attended and got bored and flunked out about three quarters of the way through. Now she works as a grocery check out person and makes about $9 an hour. No beauty career for her.
Then um, no, not for her anyway.
I'm pretty sure the answer here is clear!
And you've been given the same advice on your other threads.
I still don't understand why this is still being questioned or considered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 04:27 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,467,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanNature View Post
Do you help support less successful members of your family due to a very successful career and investments? Should you?
I have before and I would again. I don't stress or obsess over it, it's not a big deal to me.

Going by your posting history, this issue seems to be a recurring one for you that causes anxiety and family drama. Have you considered counseling?

Old 06-26-2013, 04:41 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,784,270 times
I would probably NOT do anything for the siblings, but maybe help their kids out in a way that teaches them something for the future. I'm guessing that the siblings, if they are middle aged, earning under $10 per hour, and badly managing their money, are probably a lost cause.

Perhaps encourage the kids/adult kids to save, and offer matching dollars? Like if they are saving up for a car, college, tech school, grad school, or to buy a home, give them an incentive to save by matching them dollar for dollar, or 50 cents on the dollar. Or to be extremely generous, if there's a high school student who's smart, tell her that if she gets straight As, or graduates in the top X% of her class, you'll give her X amount for college, or pay the balance for college after whatever her merit-based scholarships pay.

Offer them a reward for paying off any debts they have--If you pay off all your student loans, credit cards, or car loan, by X date, I'll send you to Hawaii--for example.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:41 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,087,328 times
I would - to a certain extent. And it depends on how much money I have!

I probably would buy a house for them to live rent-free. I would not give them a house. Or money. Or a job, if I had the wherewithal. But I would not give them an "allowance" of money to spend, unrestricted.

I would be very generous in gift giving, to buy them things they cannot afford. I would pay for an education for their children.

Maybe that means I'm too controlling. lol.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:30 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,110,096 times
Isn't this the 5th thread you have started on the very same brother, on the very same matter?

Old 06-26-2013, 07:22 PM

10,230 posts, read 13,737,164 times
Helping to pay for their children's education is one thing, that is a great favor (if you're so inclined). Paying for a middle aged adult who continues to make bad decisions is a poor idea no matter what.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:23 PM

2,696 posts, read 3,750,748 times
This is a very personal decision, but for this type of family member, I am inclined to say No.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:28 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,753,070 times
Well, on previous threads your husband inherited big bucks, plus now you also make bookoos of money, why not just send each family member 13K a year as a gift...then you can all be broke in several years...and you can stop bragging about all your moola....sounds like a plan to me.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:34 PM

2,754 posts, read 2,208,150 times
Most people are never satisfied with how much you give them. It's a sense of entitlement that you should take care of them for the rest of their lives.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:40 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,351,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
Well, on previous threads your husband inherited big bucks, plus now you also make bookoos of money, why not just send each family member 13K a year as a gift...then you can all be broke in several years...and you can stop bragging about all your moola....sounds like a plan to me.
If this is the case, and you do talk to your family abouy money like you do on here, no wonder they ask! If your fam does not have much I would NOT go flaunting it. I certainly dont to plenty of people. I had a best friend ask how much I was making and I felt unsure to tell him even tho hes a doctor he was struggling a bit at the time.

Not cool to discuss or flaunt possessions to people not doing so well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships