Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 03:08 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times

Advertisements

Creep...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 06:01 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I will be so glad when the "______-shaming" phrase finally gets played out and exits the vernacular. Dumb term, lazy writing.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:02 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
Mod cut: Orphaned.

Creepy is the one who isn't aggressive, but his demeanor, staring at you intensely and seriously, not saying much, getting too close...IS creepy.

That type creates suspicion and unease because you don't know what's going on under the surface. A cocky, arrogant guy is making it clear who he is.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-27-2013 at 12:51 PM..

Old 06-27-2013, 06:13 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Not always 6.5. A hot man can be creepy. He is too forward, too touchy, keeps staring, talks about his secret bunker and how he kisses camels. Hot men can be creepy.o_O

Old 06-27-2013, 06:40 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,843 times
I don't find unattractive men creepy when they come on to me. To me they are just, well unattractive. Where behavior crosses the line into creepy is when it's a violation of personal space when I've made it clear I am not interested or when their actions lead to me feeling fearful or threatened.

Examples of creepy behavior include the man who sat down next to me on a scuba diving boat. AT the time I was married, had a ring on my finger the whole nine yards. When he started flirting, I informed him I was married. That didn't stop him from touching me (and then trying to give me a back rub). He followed me around the boat all day sitting next to me and still trying to touch me. THAT was creepy. If he stopped when I told him I was married, that wouldn't have been creepy. And for the record, he was good looking too (young Marine, well built and tanned. If I had been single, I might have been interested initially ... if he didn't act so creepy).

Another creepy behavior was when a much older man (my grandfather's age) took me by the arm and tried to walk me away from where I was. Again, violation of personal space and a bit of a threat sine I was a minor at the time.

There is a line that's crossed when behavior turns from okay (I might not be interested, but still, you seem like a well mannered person) to creepy.

And yes, women can be creepy too. I had a poor friend (guy friend) who was pretty much stalked by this weirdo woman who used to wear all matching clothes (even her shoes). She would just show up at places he was and would try to touch him and latch on to him all the time and he wasn't interested at all. She was creepy too.

Last edited by jillabean; 06-27-2013 at 07:00 AM..

Old 06-27-2013, 06:54 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
Quote:
This, of course, is why some guys hate the word so much; it forces men to reflect carefully about how they make women feel. No wonder then that so many guys are campaigning against "creep-shaming." After all, the sooner the term becomes socially unacceptable, the sooner men can get back to not having to think about women's boundaries.
And this is the fundamental problem with someone who is behaving in a creepy way...they're not thinking about anyone else's feelings but their own.

On a grander scale, this is a problem in dating today, when people are concerned only about themselves and what they can get, or think they deserve, with little to no regard for the other person's feelings.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:08 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
What is all this "shaming" nonsense. Mind your own pints and quarts and stop giving suck a screw about what people think about you, and life gets pretty simple.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:22 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
Creepy is one of those terms that doesn't really have a fixed meaning, but you know it when you see it. Unfortunately, it's an overused word used to decribe a guy who may resemble anyone from Marilyn Manson to Woody Allen, is showing stalker-like tendencies, often uses inappropriate or perverted humor towards women he hardly knows, and drives a windowless van with inside door handles that have been replaced with handcuffs. But it is also thrown around quite liberally to decribe socially awkward guys who aren't attractive, middle aged men who prefer to date younger women, the guy who goes from girl to girl asking them to dance in a nightclub, the fat/old/ugly guy that tries to strike up conversation in the express line at the supermarket, and the list goes on and on.

I recall some heated threads that debated the word "b*tch", and some insisted it was a sexist, mysoginist word that was equally offensive as the "N" word. Even if the word was used towards another man. Women aren't typically labeled creepy. If an unattractive woman hits on a guy or strikes up conversation with him while waiting for a coffee at Starbucks, he typically won't label her creepy. Stalker would likely be the word of choice for a woman who is kind of nutty and clingy.

For the most part I think most people have a pretty good handle on what constitutes creepy, it's one of those things that you just know it when you see it, a vibe or an instinct. Something universally recognized, like Woody Allen marrying his own adopted 19 year old daughter, most everyone agrees that is creepy.

In 2013 we're still hung up on words, and I think we give them way too much power. It's time to move on and stop acting like 3rd graders, that goes for the name callers and the people who take them to heart.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:37 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
What is all this "shaming" nonsense. Mind your own pints and quarts and stop giving suck a screw about what people think about you, and life gets pretty simple.
It's ridiculous, and not even accurately descriptive...it's just being used to slap on to anything a person may receive criticism for. Half the time, it has nothing to do with shame, anyway.

To even be used correctly in this context, it would only make sense of people ARE creeps, are PROUD of being creeps, and are saying they are being made to feel ashamed about being creepy and angry that their creepiness is not embraced, but instead is being used to criticize them.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:44 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,605,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I had a poor friend (guy friend) who was pretty much stalked by this weirdo woman who used to wear all matching clothes (even her shoes). She would just show up at places he was and would try to touch him and latch on to him all the time and he wasn't interested at all. She was creepy too.
That doesnt sound creepy to me. More like something straight out of a flight of the conchords episode. Kind of fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships